Author Topic: Ep. 419 "Someone to Watch Over Me" Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 15667 times)

Offline Snagger

Re: Ep. 419 "Someone to Watch Over Me" Discussion (SPOILERS)

Well i know that!! Just didnt see any special effects of the hull ripped apart by all the jumps  :D
Frak it anyway, all good.
Well, they could argue that the shot of the 4 Raptors evacuating Pegasus was a distant, wide angle shot, and that the "zoom" on Boomer's Raptor and the Galactica was closer, showing the damage better, and I do recall that the 4 Raptors took a curved path away from the Peg's "head", while Boomer's was spinning out of control twoards the head, but in reality, we all know it a plot device recently dreamt up by the writers. :lol:

Anyway, I'm enjoying these episodes, even if they don't have the big action scenes - the drama is very tense, and a lot of the questions are being answered.  It's a shame it will be all over soon. :(

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Bear in mind that the Galactica is so weak now that simply jumping a few times will kill it. That means it is weaker than any of the civilian ships in the fleet.

So saying you can use a jumping cylon ship offensively is like claiming that cause sneezing will knock down a house of cards you can use it as a tank killer. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
A Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II, ordinance racks laden with a runny nosed kids with pepper shakers poised above their noses.  A more menacing sight a Warsaw Pact tank commander can never fathom from his darkest nightmares.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!

Well i know that!! Just didnt see any special effects of the hull ripped apart by all the jumps  :D
Frak it anyway, all good.
Well, they could argue that the shot of the 4 Raptors evacuating Pegasus was a distant, wide angle shot, and that the "zoom" on Boomer's Raptor and the Galactica was closer, showing the damage better, and I do recall that the 4 Raptors took a curved path away from the Peg's "head", while Boomer's was spinning out of control twoards the head, but in reality, we all know it a plot device recently dreamt up by the writers. :lol:

Anyway, I'm enjoying these episodes, even if they don't have the big action scenes - the drama is very tense, and a lot of the questions are being answered.  It's a shame it will be all over soon. :(

I would like to see something go KA-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM though  :drevil:

Though I have a feeling, it will be our good auld Galactica  :(

Id say she may go out, taking out Cavils Basestar or something  :yes:

Not many more to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

What got me wondering was when they evacated the Peggy and jumped away straight out of hanger, how come we didnt see any damge happen on the ship or any of the raptors behind them blow up?  :drevil:
[/quote]
Probably illustrating the difference between a relatively new Battlestar that hasn't seen 40 years of operation.  The Galactica has gone through quite a few fights in the 4 seasons we've been watching plus the atmospheric jump...plus 40 years of wear and tear.  Its like the recent problems with the USAF F-15 fleet...parts are starting to crack under load.  When they were new 30 years ago a 9g turn was not a problem.  Now, without proper refurb work, a 9g turn can cause a structure failure.

Same difference as far as I'm concerned.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Rainman

What got me wondering was when they evacated the Peggy and jumped away straight out of hanger, how come we didnt see any damge happen on the ship or any of the raptors behind them blow up?  :drevil:
Probably illustrating the difference between a relatively new Battlestar that hasn't seen 40 years of operation.  The Galactica has gone through quite a few fights in the 4 seasons we've been watching plus the atmospheric jump...plus 40 years of wear and tear.  Its like the recent problems with the USAF F-15 fleet...parts are starting to crack under load.  When they were new 30 years ago a 9g turn was not a problem.  Now, without proper refurb work, a 9g turn can cause a structure failure.

[/quote]

That's a really good point... plus remember when Tyrol told Adama that the people who built Galactica basically rushed it and cut corners? The wrong size bolts and incompatible/incomplete pieces can pass undetected at first but come back to bite you in the ass, so there's that too.

Offline Snagger

That's a really good point... plus remember when Tyrol told Adama that the people who built Galactica basically rushed it and cut corners? The wrong size bolts and incompatible/incomplete pieces can pass undetected at first but come back to bite you in the ass, so there's that too.
[/quote]All that and the fact that the raptors evacuating Pegasus were under contol and further away from the ship when they jumped, while Boomer's was spinning uncontrolled and in much greater proximity, plus the fact that the sdies of Peg's head were covered in the thick armour plates, while the affected section of Galactica is realitvely thin wall skin over the water tanks.

but, the main thing is that it's arecently devised plot device.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
I think the main thing to consider is that boomers raptor was in the radius that the blue ftl effect occupies, that's the danger area. Outside that area there'd likely be no effect.

So you could jump 1 metre away from the edge of that effect and be fine, but be 1 metre closer, and be blown to frakking hell.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.