Author Topic: TOS Battlestar Galactica  (Read 19519 times)

Re: TOS Battlestar Galactica
Galactica, the 'first of her kind' and one of the original 12 battlestars.
That's a point - some people keep refering to the TNS Galactica as Columbia Class.  That was TOS.  In TNS, I think she was the lead ship, which is backed up by many of the schematic drawings used on the various CIC tables, which are labelled "Galactica Class".  The other three ships in her strike group in Razor look the same, but I think Coumbia was not the lead vessel in this series.

I don't think it states at any point that she was the first of her kind. There isn't an official name for the class of battlestar she is. In the beginning, Doral only says she's the "last of her kind still in service" at the time of the fall. I suppose the OS battlestar's role in TNS could've been as a pre-war non ship that didn't last long against the Cylons during their original revolt, hence the production of the original twelve battlestars.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Before worrying about the original Galactica, bring on the original Raider, Razor style!  They're still flying at the time Shattered Armistice is taking place (though not on the front lines I suppose) and the Cylons could use a little variety in ship selection, something that's a match for the Mark 2.  And they're freaking sweet ;7

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That's not an issue. :) The Razor Raider is several orders of magnitude up the scale.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline YIIMM

For all we know the plaque next to the model could've said:

"The display in front of you is a physical mock-up of one of the many rejected initial designs for what would eventually become the ship you now find yourself aboard. While clearly recognisable as a battlestar, this design featured many important differences from Galactica. Chief among these was the inclusion of advanced energy-based weaponry.

The design failed to meet the approval of the relevant government offices when it was revealed that the technology for these devices did not actually exist."

For all we know the plaque next to the model could've said:

"The display in front of you is a physical mock-up of one of the many rejected initial designs for what would eventually become the ship you now find yourself aboard. While clearly recognisable as a battlestar, this design featured many important differences from Galactica. Chief among these was the inclusion of advanced energy-based weaponry.

The design failed to meet the approval of the relevant government offices when it was revealed that the technology for these devices did not actually exist."

That is a good explanation.  A snapshot of that scene, posted at wiki, showed an incomplete design of TOS Galactica. 
Phasers?!?!?  We don't need no frakking phasers!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
The Galactica was, IIRC, stated as being one of the original. They built one for each colony, and expanded throughout and after the war.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
I am almost certain I remember Roslin saying the galactica was the first of her kind.

I believe it was in one of those special recap clips they put together.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
You biggest problems with the idea of incorporation of TOS elements is that you shouldn't go beyond things established in the 4-5 seasons of TNS.

You know why, cause I could give you TOS explanations, and descriptions/roles of ships fighters that contradict or do not mesh with TNS that's why.

They are Canon and in universe, but NOT TNS universe, and thus beyond the scope of Diaspora.

Note I am not a team member, just giving you some logical information.

As to why a TOS Battlestar is usually less powerful than a base ship, it's because the Cylons Baseship has more guns than a Battlestar and can focus more of them at a time in a firing arc. Not to mention the pulsar cannons are longer range (top and bottom of Saucers).

The Galactica was only able to take out base ship by sending a raider using strike team to blow up their computer center and blind them. Thus able to get in range, they were almost equal as, Galactica was now toe to toe versus the usually longer range weapons of the Cylons. Plus IIRC they had more armor for total area. Not sure on that though.

Pegasus (Same Columbia class as Galactica) had port and starboard ICBM anti-ship (and presumably anti-planet targeting). by disregarding safety Cain plunged right between two baseships scaring Baltar away in a third one fallign back.

Starbuck and Apollo helped by taking out turrets of the Baseships in those arcs facing Pegasus and before they could rotate the ships to bring fresh turrets to bear it was over. Cain spam launched his ICBMS and also presumably jumped away just before impact.  At point blank, no miss or intercept range, those nukes were ship killers...

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
We're not really talking about TOS anymore. And the Columbia was the first, not Galactica; hence the "Columbia" class Battlestar.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
^That only applies to TOS.

It's just speculation in TNS.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
My apologies.

Many fans believe Galactica to be a Columbia class battlestar. However, this is not supported by official sources, in neither the Original nor the Re-imagined Series. For the battlestar type Galactica belongs to, see Galactica type battlestar.

Still think it's a good name, after all Diaspora isn't BtRL, they aren't sticking strictly to canon.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Still think it's a good name, after all Diaspora isn't BtRL, they aren't sticking strictly to canon.

Where ever did you get that idea from?

While Diaspora will be doing plenty of the "Filling in the blanks" kind of gameplay so did BtRL. You only need look at the BtRL demo for an example of that. Remember that both the Theseus and Bolitho were originally designed before the split too.

Offline newman

Edit: kara beat me to it by a few secs, so I'm editing out the first part of the post, dealing with the wrong assumption that BtRL was strictly canon.
As for the TOS galactica - obviously it can't make a comeback as the same class as the Galactica. But if you look better you'll see that every TOS ship that reappeared in TNS was altered at least slightly. The mkI shuttle, the TOS raider we first saw in Razor, the TOS baseship.. all similar but none of them are identical to the TOS versions - some have been altered more, others less. The point is, they used the redesigned TOS ships in a different story - this time they're relics of the first war - as a nod to the first series, as it were. If the TOS Galactica was to make a comeback in Diaspora, it certainly wouldn't be as the Galactica, but maybe the design could be used (maybe altered slightly, if nothing at least the weapons would need to be changed) as a different 1st war class.. as a kind of a homage to the original show.
However right now we don't have any plans regarding this, so arguing whether or not we'll do it is kind of pointless, especially since we don't know yet ourselves.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures

Where ever did you get that idea from?

While Diaspora will be doing plenty of the "Filling in the blanks" kind of gameplay so did BtRL. You only need look at the BtRL demo for an example of that. Remember that both the Theseus and Bolitho were originally designed before the split too.
Really? I thought I remembered hearing that Diaspora would use more creative license.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We have no intention of contradicting the show except in a few cases where gameplay would suffer heavily as a result (for instance making fighters less resilient).

I think the idea that we were going to be less canon came from the fans after we decided to make our 1st release about the Theseus rather than a canon storyline. But that's more due to which models we had available than because of any desire to be less canon than BtRL.

Offline newman

When we stated creative differences as the reason of the split some people assumed that it was over staying canon or not - in actuality that had nothing to with it (besides arguing enough to split a team over whether to use non canon ships or not would be too silly and nerdy even for us :D). Creative differences can mean more then one thing - that's all I'll say on that matter. But both Diaspora and BtRL have plans (at least I assume BtRL still does as well) on using non-canon ships: why do you think our concept artist, StarSlayer, was once a member of the BtRL team as well? :)
As for Diaspora, when we're using canon ships, we're striving to make them as accurate as possible, and when doing non-canon ones we try to make them fit the universe seamlessly, so they look like they could have been used in the show. When I was over in BtRL, it basically had a very similar approach regarding this; whether or not that has changed since I left, I couldn't say.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Prior to the split of BTRL and there were something on the order of sixty plus non canon designs put together for everything from stations to fighters.  Not that they were all going be modeled and make it in game but it should give you a indication of BTRL's commitment to fleshing out a complete universe.  Granted Diaspora earned the exclusive rights to those units after the break up, and I can't give you a qualified answer to their current non canon policy but the split had nothing to due with such content.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I don't mean less-canon as in contradicting, I mean as in off-the-beaten-path.

Offline newman

Re-read the last two posts.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

We're not staying off the beaten path. We're simply taking a short cut to the end of it and then walking back down the beaten path afterwards. :p

The idea is to make the missions that are based on stuff that wasn't seen in the show while we build up the fleet to the point where we can make those seen in the show. Making the missions seen in the show require a lot more finished assets than we currently have.

But BtRL had it's own fair share of off the beaten path too.