Author Topic: Caprica Returns October 5th  (Read 5267 times)

Caprica Returns October 5th
For those of you in the US that watch the show, SyFy has removed their craniums from their collective posteriors and shortened the show hiatus. Thank the gods.

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2010/09/syfys-caprica-to-come-back-on.php

Offline newman

Re: Caprica Returns October 5th
Doesn't look like a full second season is likely once the first has been aired, though. Too bad, was getting used to the show.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
And the Venture Brothers returns this weekend!

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's likely a test balloon for them to see whether or not they're going to renew the show.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Any failure on the show's part could be attributed to its sporadic airing dates.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Any failure on the show's part could be attributed to its sporadic airing dates.
I'd say another reason is that it's simply not what I want BSG to be: about dudes on a battle ship dealing with robots out to kill them.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Arguably a lot of BSG wasn't that way either.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

Which is why I've only watched up through Season 2. :)

Daybreak goes back to the awesome man vs. machine fights though with over nine thousand frakkin' Cylons that need fragging, at least until they win the battle, then it all goes downhill, really, really fast.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
'bout ****ing time they brought it back.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Watch the first four episodes of Season 3. Then you're done.

Offline CooperHawkes

• NippleNeck (at least i got something to play with)
up to 3x05 i'd say. after that its a mediocre series with some highlights (and the obvious bad ending, but everybody knows that, so i dont have to point that out anymore)
take me out to the black,
tell 'em i ain't coming back,
i don't care, i'm still free,
you can't take the sky from me

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Mmmm I thought the Exodus battle was pretty subpar compared to the perfection of the Battle of the Rez, Ragnar and HoG.  It was the first time the drop in CGI quality became glaringly apparent and the beginning of the retcon shenanigans.  Granted it had some nice set pieces but overall the tactics of it where pretty bad and it left me feeling pretty meh.  It also began the gradual defanging of the Cylon race in general, which I didn't particularly care for.  The Cylons had this mysterious menace going for them in Season 1 and 2.  They "Had a Plan" yet the whole New Caprica Occupation was pretty much the opposite of a plan but some poorly managed farce. 

I thought BSG was at its best when it focused on the aircraft carrier in space angle of the first to seasons and the mysticism and social aspects weaved into making the central plot more interesting.  But thats just me.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

Mmmm I thought the Exodus battle was pretty subpar compared to the perfection of the Battle of the Rez, Ragnar and HoG.  It was the first time the drop in CGI quality became glaringly apparent and the beginning of the retcon shenanigans.  Granted it had some nice set pieces but overall the tactics of it where pretty bad and it left me feeling pretty meh.  It also began the gradual defanging of the Cylon race in general, which I didn't particularly care for.  The Cylons had this mysterious menace going for them in Season 1 and 2.  They "Had a Plan" yet the whole New Caprica Occupation was pretty much the opposite of a plan but some poorly managed farce. 

I thought BSG was at its best when it focused on the aircraft carrier in space angle of the first to seasons and the mysticism and social aspects weaved into making the central plot more interesting.  But thats just me.
and me

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Am I the only one on here who didn't think the show was awful after New Craprica?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Am I the only one on here who didn't think the show was awful after New Craprica?
definitely not, but maybe the only one in these here parts

Offline newman

I don't think it was awful after s2 in general, but there was a decline in quality. Much of season 3 (sometime after episode 4) didn't work out so well; the network, in all their wisdom, thought it would be better for the episodes to be less continuous plot wise - they wanted episodes random people can watch on their own and be able to understand them without prior knowledge of the show. This, of course, didn't work out so well as BSG doesn't lend itself to that sort of storytelling. The show picked up a bit after s3; I found most of s4 pretty good, with big plot holes at the end itself (daybreak). Still, when I think of BSG and all the good times I had with the show I think of primarily the mini and then the first two seasons. BSG was at it's best when it was about a carrier in space; also, when the cylons were this mythical foe nobody knew much about. There was a feeling of dread in the mini and the early episodes in some scenes even if cylons weren't present. Take the episode "33"; prime example of how you can have a mysterious enemy create tension even in the epsiode parts where they're not there at all. Cylons kinda lose something once we get to know too much about them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:28:26 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Don't get me wrong, I loved BSG for the "aircraft carrier in space" aspect, but that wasn't all that made it fantastic to me. While I'd concur that S3 did fall kinda short, and S4 still wasn't up to the bar set by S1 and 2...it was still some of the best television I've ever watched. And I've found Caprica to be equally excellent, for the same reasons BSG was excellent: great writing, great acting, a dark and uncomfortably realistic setting, and the sheer amount of humanity in the show. BSG and Caprica aren't about super people doing amazing things every day; it's normal people that can from time to time rise to the occasion and show heroism, but then descend right back into their own flaws.

Now, I could have sworn that SyFy had already bought a full second season of Caprica at the same time they picked up the first season. What happened to that, or have I been smoking the chamallah?

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
I also recall hearing caprica had been picked up for a second season.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Back when the midseason break first started, there was rumors that SyFy was going to announce a pickup within a few weeks, but they never actually did. Stargate: Universe got a second season order fairly quickly, that could be what you're thinking of.