Author Topic: Proposal : An "official" TBP campaign team  (Read 10074 times)

Offline maje

Re: Proposal : An "official" TBP campaign team
last part would be "Drums of War 1-3" just on the other side huh?

Very similar, but I haven't decided if I want to really unveil the Drakh presense on Centauri Prime seeing how the only Centauri that knows about it that's not a Drakh slave is Vir *and the Technomages* and he doesn't find out until around 2266 or so, right before A Call to Arms takes place.

If anything, I might have something alluded to something being peculiar enough to warrant suspicion.  Besides, the only people that found out about the Drakh presense and presented it as public knowledge don't do it until 2278!  Everyone else wound up dead.  (So asides from destroying the Narn ship and her fighter complement, how do you plan on explaining that little continuity conflict for Drums of War 3?)  :p

Btw, The Black Hand is awesome.  Can't wait for Episode 2.  :nod:
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
If anything, I might have something alluded to something being peculiar enough to warrant suspicion.  Besides, the only people that found out about the Drakh presense and presented it as public knowledge don't do it until 2278!  Everyone else wound up dead.  (So asides from destroying the Narn ship and her fighter complement, how do you plan on explaining that little continuity conflict for Drums of War 3?)

the Minbari know about the Drakh since before the Centauri started the war agaist the ISA ("Lines of Communication" was the epsidode, I belive)
and about the Narn in "Drums of War"... you never wondered why a Bin'Tak and 3 G'Quan suddenly appeared without the ship being officially send to Quadrant 34 knowing? -- well think about it

Btw, The Black Hand is awesome.  Can't wait for Episode 2.  :nod:

thanks for the flowers ... Episode 2 takes its time 'cause I need to find a way to get Locke and his mates out of the woods...
but I guess I found a way but that altered the entire planed flow of episodes... --
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline maje

Oh, my bad.  What I was referring to was that it wasn't common knowledge that the Drakh had been on Centauri Prime until around 2278.  The ISA was litterally left clueless.  The Drakh themselves were never really active in a straightforward military capacity until the huge assault on Earth during the ISA's 5th anniversary.  Before that, it was just some minor raids on merchant vessels in the Minbari Protectorate.  Unless it's been confirmed that the Drakh were active in other sectors it would have to be away from Centauri Prime to not arouse suspsicion as to their  whereabouts, and most likely would be in the years 2263-2266, because we never hear about them among the ISA.

Anyways it's fun speculation.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Maybe it's worth starting a thread for people without mission designing skill to share their campaign ideas with the people who could realise them?

Do it.

Get them to post ideas for multiplayer missions too. As it's basically a lack of ideas for anything interesting that has stopped me from FREDding something myself.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Just an annotation: Dont we have a "official" campaign already ? Raider Wars is completed, cool, fully voice-acted and included in 3.4 . Yeah, I know there are too few campaigns for TBP (and I am currently working to add one to that small number) and additional campaigns would be cool. But again: Isn't RW THE campaign for TBP ?

Maybe we could also concentrate on voice act great ones like TBH ?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline 0rph3u5

Maybe we could also concentrate on voice act great ones like TBH ?

I'll spam everyone to death who even thinks of VAing TBP Eps. 1 before I'm done with FREDing the rest!
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Just an annotation: Dont we have a "official" campaign already ? Raider Wars is completed, cool, fully voice-acted and included in 3.4 . Yeah, I know there are too few campaigns for TBP (and I am currently working to add one to that small number) and additional campaigns would be cool. But again: Isn't RW THE campaign for TBP ?

Raider Wars was meant to be a side project to the bigger official campaign according to what IP Andrews has said earlier. IIRC the team have the plot for a more epic Shadow War/EA civil war campaign but lacked the manpower to get it finished so Raider Wars got bumped up from side project to flagship campaign. A role it was never intended for.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
->Kara: I know but it fits that role quite well.

->Oprh: Well then,  GET TO WORK !  :nod: :nod: :nod: We want more !

Earth Mimbari Wars is, as far as I know, dead. What is with Babylonian History ? Also dead ?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Earth Mimbari Wars is, as far as I know, dead. What is with Babylonian History ? Also dead ?

The 3.6.9 version of the game engine gave me problems. Things that used to work, stopped working, and other things started crashing. It was looking like it might be difficult to "debug". I put that in quotes because I dont' really see working around game engine issues as debugging, but I couldn't come up with a better term. I may get around it looking at it again soon. A more bug free game engine would help motivate me.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You've got to start putting those bugs in Mantis. Quite often I'll load up Mantis and see if anything critical has cropped up.

I never remember complaints from the forums when I'm doing that so I end up fixing minor things rather than the really big ones people seem to want fixed  (TvT not being able display directives correctly if you had more that 5 was the last thing I fixed).

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I don't have time, sorry. Don't think I'm complaining. The guy wanted to know what happened to BHX. Just answering the question honestly.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well it's not all up to you IP. There are lots of people who have run into these bugs and yet they still aren't in Mantis.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I really don't know what I'd put in Mantis in most cases. You've seen the BHX code. If I put in a report "BHX crashes" I'm going to get the response "I'm not ****ing surprised did you ever think it would work?"  :D. Isolating problems to anything more specific would be an undertaking in itself in the case of something as cumbersome as that campaign.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
True. You do seem to be running into problems caused by how much larger TBP is than virtually everything else. That problem with the  Vorlon ships for instance was caused by the game mistakenly assigning an ai_behaviour type (a vestigial field that is never used for anything) with the same index as the ai_class for each ship. For almost everything else that worked but with TBP since you had so many ai classes you were assigning an invalid index for an array and the game was therefore writing nonsense to the mission file as soon as you tried to use it.

Something tells me your problems with BHX are similar issues.

Offline 0rph3u5

Dropping two mini-campaign ideas of mine - free for the taking:

1st - a Narn campaign set around 2259 - post Centauri Invasion of Narn
WALK IN BETWEEN THE SHADOWS
Atmosphere Notes: The Centauri have invaded Narn and those who survived the Centauri onslaugh have to seek shelter at the edges of known space. There the desperate survivors ralley their forces and prepare themselves to retake Narn one day.
Plot Summary:
Spoiler:
Amongst the surviving ships the Narn destroyer S'Van (a G'Quan - the same as in DoW 3) and the T'Loth cruiser T'Vosh are the only military vessels. While the T'Vosh stays behind the S'Van searches the nearby systems to search for hideout where repairs can be made and the forces be gathered.
But at the edges of known space there are dangers beyond imagination and the Narn awaken one of these - a planet full of ancient mashinery (similar to Epsilon III) in alliance with the Shadows...
Missions:
Spoiler:
1 - EXILED FROM PARADISE
As one of the last military outposts of the Narn falls into the hands of the Centauri the S'Van and the T'Vosh cover the retreat of the evacuees and than jump via jumpgate/jumpdrives to hyperspace to escape the centauri.
2 - UNCHARTED TERRITORY (atmosphere mission - no fighting just talk)
The Narn have escaped to the edges of the galaxy (hence no planets and just a 0.1 sun) and prepare to go into hiding but they have no place to go to - the S'Van is dispatched to find a suitable place in this uncharted territory
3 - NOT SEARCHING HOME...
The S'Van scouts one system, and the learn that the Centauri are following them. S'Van destroyes Centauri forces to distract the enemy and moves on. (Centauri force should be quite small - couple of Vorchans)
4 - ... BUT A PLACE TO STAY (atmosphere mission, no fighting just talk)
In another system the S'Van finds a perfect planet to stay and to hide - fly around and scan navbouys (to simulate scanning sections of space or the planet)
5 - DEN OF EVIL (stealth mission?)
As the Narn prepare to set up a camp one of the Narn groups on the planet has tigger an ancient signal (and learn about the nature of the planet - but that's not reveal until mission 7) and unknown (shadow) vessels appear at the edge of the planets rings (asteroid fields). Player has to remain hidden from the shadows and has to "count" their ships. (Several battlecarps and fighterwings (maybe some non-cannons?) should make up the shadow forces)
6 - LIGHT AND SHADOW
The Shadows discovered the Narn and are moving in the engage the ships in the orbit (by that time the Narn have left the planet again) - but dispite best efforts the shadows cannot be stopped forever - mission ends with a Red Alert as some new informations comes in. (Shadow attack force should be fighters and maybe some of the small non-cannon craft [use them with caution though] - NO BATTLECRABS, although spotted in the last mission)
7 - ENLIGHTMENT
During the RA briefing the player is briefed on the nature of the planet and that the battlecrabs are all heading for the planet's surface - the Narn belive that they could destroy the mashinary on the planet with a few well placed shots on targets on the surface fired by the S'Van.
Player wings have to cover the S'Van as the destroyer moves into position and fires its beams at a dummy. Once the target is destroyed (after the S'Van has fired 3 or 4 times [event bound firing of that beams]) the Shadows fade away as their is nothing for them to do anymore and the Narn jump away too.

2nd - an EA-campaign set post EMW
CLEANING OUT
Atmosphere Notes: The Earth Alliance is just recovering from the war with the Minbari - entire systems have been wasted during the struggle and few Earth Force ships remain to secure peace. Althoug still shocked by the sudden "victory" Earth Force Crews have to pick up their usual duties again...
Plot Summary:
Spoiler:
The EAS Artemis - a remaing Hyperion - is send out to help securing the remains of the furious battles across EA space - at Tau Ceti they find the debris field of one confrontation hand-picked of the valuable parts (high tech weapons - bough from the Narn) by scavangers. With new orders the Atlas moves on to find those who stole from the debris field.
The thiefs turn out to be a band made up by merchenaries, traitors and raiders... and the Artemis begins to hunt them down one by one...
Missions:
Spoiler:
1 - GRAVEYARD (atmosphere mission)
The Artemis (and accompanying freighters?) arrives at the Tau Ceti debris site and launches shuttles and bots to find salvageable parts - they learn the debris field has been picked clean
2 - HONEST BUISNESSMEN
Heaving learned that all salvageable debris has been stolen the Artemis' seeks out the head of a criminel cartel (on his personal liner) who had risen during the EMW but had been left untouched 'cause of the war.
After some "aggressive dimplonacy" (with pulse guns and such :)) he gives in that he knows who got the parts and trades in that knowledge against him being arrested.
(hostile force should be a liner and some fighters - like tigers and zephyrs)
3 - THOU SHALL NOT STEAL!
The first adress the Artemis is heading is a group of raiders ("just a band of thugs with big guns") -- the raiders refuse to surrender and their ship has to be disabled and boarded to get the parts...
("just a band of thugs with big guns" - zephyrs and raider carrier)
4 - STARFURY CHASE
After the raiders have been eliminated the mercs fear for their hides and try to hide in a local asteroid field but they are found and eliminated... their part of the prey is siezed by the Artemis as well.
(a couple of fighter wings - mixed between zephyrs, tigers, Auroras Mk1 [RARE!!!] and some rare alien fighters - and freighter somewhere for their part of the salvage)
5 - HUNTING THE HUNTERS
Eliminating the raiders and the mercs drives the traitors out of hiding - although they never wanted to fight the minbari these are very willing to take on the Artemis as they have their own Hyperion (better guns??).
They don't surrender until their cruiser goes down; and shortly before that they jettison some life pods. Mission ends after they surrendered.
(a Hyperion and Aurora Mk 1s should make up the hostile force)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 08:43:45 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================