Author Topic: Old games  (Read 5769 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
hrmph

For some reason I was always a sucker for GC2. GC1 was fun but got repetitive after a while - the 'scout, find enemy concentrations, ARTILLERY/BOMB THE **** OUT OF THEM' tactic was probably pretty realistic but not very dramatic.

I personally loved the FIRST Wing Commander game. Loved how you really felt like 'its my fault' when your wingman died.

ANd that game was released 3 years before my birth 0_o.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
No love for System Shock 2, people?  FOR SHAME!

Also, the original Prince of Persia was the cat's ass.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

hrmph

For some reason I was always a sucker for GC2. GC1 was fun but got repetitive after a while - the 'scout, find enemy concentrations, ARTILLERY/BOMB THE **** OUT OF THEM' tactic was probably pretty realistic but not very dramatic.

When you say it like that, it makes it sound almost as repetitive as 'build - attack - rebuild'  :lol:
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
True burn, true burn.

Actually one of my favorite things about GC2 was how glitchy the AI was. Sometimes twenty enemy tanks would get a move order to the same point, and they'd all pinwheel into a beautiful flower shape around it, and you would artillery them to ****. Or the AI would get into this weird rut of just building the same unit over and over. But you could un-rut it by saving and loading and suddenly it would do some wildly unpredictable (usually stupid) thing.

World in Conflict was cool too but never really had the same magic. Decent writing though.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Old school C&C.  I first played it on the N64.  Do want again.

Offline PMY

Half-Life, Homeworld, SW: KOTOR, SM Alpha Centauri, NFS 3/4, Total Annihilation, Starlancer, Warcraft 3

But there is also a bunch of other old games which I first played only recently but also found them great (so I don't actually have any kind of nostalgia about them but I would like to replay them anyway): System Shock 2, Diablo 2, Unreal, Freelancer, Team Fortress Classic, X2: The Threat, Halo: Combat Evolved.

Also, which games are actually considired as "old"? Because all games released after 2003 are "new" for me, so I don't mention them.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:45:04 pm by PMY »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I need to play that one myself.  I do know that Sands of Time was an absolute masterpiece of a game.

Whoa. Looks like pretty much all games I'm owning, playing and/or have played recently have been mentioned, except for possible;

Deus Ex 1
Cossacks: Back To War
Age of Empires 1 and 2
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (Few months back)
Morrowind
Zeus: Master of Olympus and it's expansion

I also REALLY wanted to play Omikron: The Nomad Soul again, but there was a problem with the z-buffer i think, being outdated and unsupported on all my machines. Big shame. The game is the predecessor of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain and remains a very impressive technical achievement. That game is among the first and foremost of everyone mentioned in this thread that have had a impressive impact on me, so to me deserves a special mention.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

DooM/Heretic/Hexen/Quake/Quake 2 (GL Implementation)
UT (GL Implementation)
Deus X/SiN/Blood 2
VTM: Bloodlines
Janes: USAF
Ghost Recon/Desert Siege/Island Thunder
Tribes 2/Starseige/Mechwarrior (incl 2 and 3)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit / High-Stakes
Total Annihilation
Terminal Velocity

Even older:
Star Control II
Elite II: Frontier
XF5700 Mantis
Any SSI RPG Game
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:30:09 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline VPR

Mainly been playing Xcom: Terror from the Deep lately after digging the DOS CDs out of the loft a few weeks ago, also got UFO to get back into. Other than that I'm playing C&C or Syndicate Wars occasionally and I'm stuck on one of the later missions because I don't have trigger wire (when at this stage I did have it on the PSX version). Very rarely I sometimes drag my Atari ST out to play Carrier Command mainly because it has better sound than the PC versions I've tried, attacking the enemy carrier never gets old. :D

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Wing Commander (the whole series), Descent (same), Commanche 4, X-Wing: Alliance, Dune 2000 and first C&C games (the ones which I could get for free some time ago).
Though if you mean really recently, then only C&C and XW:A (I don't have much time for playing anyway).

Offline Davros

@ mongoose dont know what happened there i got the avg alert too when clicking on the direct link
its not the image because ive scanned the original with avg on my hdd and its clean

@zacam what o/s are you playing janes usaf under ?

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I wish I could play Comanche Gold (Doesn't work on Win7/Vista) and Falcon 4.0 (lost).

I regret selling my N64 and all of its games. :(
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
mmm let's see what I have already installed in my rig:

-Dungeon Keeper
-DK2
-Homeworld
-HW2

I also remember these from time to time:

-Colonization
-Prince of Persia (dos)
-Settlers 2
-Age of Empires
-Total Annihilation
-Revolt

That's all I can remember right now.
el hombre vicio...

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I need to play that one myself.  I do know that Sands of Time was an absolute masterpiece of a game.

Sands of Time was phenomenal, EXCEPT for the asstastic combat.  It was obviously designed for a console... and since I played it on PC, I hated it.  And the comabt wouldn't have been nearly as bad except for the lack of a quicksave and the forced checkpoint bull****.  I was enamored enough with the plot that I finally just downloaded the save checkpoints for the areas that I went through 50+ times and couldn't beat so I could find out the rest of the story.

The irony was that the final boss was much easier than a number of the earlier battles.  Go figure.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think Tycho from Penny-Arcade put it best when he said that the combat segments in Sands of Time were things you tolerated in order to get to more of the glorious platforming, instead of the other way around.  I know it certainly frustrated me at a few points (oh lord, that elevator...I'm guessing that's where you got stuck?), but I usually managed to plow through it.  Maybe the difference was that I originally played it on the PS2, so when I played it on the PC later via GameTap, I just hooked up my PS2 controller and used the same config.

As far as the final boss goes, again paraphrasing from Tycho, I don't think one should treat that encounter as the final boss...it was that ridiculously-tall tower you had to scale without using rewind beforehand. :D

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
I like to play old games with new improvements :

-FreeSpace (obviously  :P)
-Unreal 1 (new impressives textures, new patches)
-The Homeworld Serie (tactical mods and new maps)

...But I also like to play with consoles I didn't play with when they were initially released, like the NES, SNES, Saturn... Even if some games looks... strange on an HDTV, 2D games like Donkey Kong Country are surprisingly nice to see, more than many 3D PSONE games  :ick:
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
-Unreal 1 (new impressives textures, new patches)

Where do you get the new textures?  Do you know if they included with the GOG.com release (which I am using)?

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Quoted from their page:

Use:
   UnrealGold and Unreal Anthology    
     UnrealGold GOG and UnrealGold Steam

http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Unreal.htm
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."