Author Topic: Graphics are not correct  (Read 1466 times)

Graphics are not correct
Hi there,
I installed the GOG Version of FS2 and after the your mod with the normal options and not the custom one. When I start the fs2.exe from the Freespace2 folder I get a picture but I cannot choose anything. I thinnk there must be some sort of resolution problem.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Re: Graphics are not correct
That's definitely a resolution problem. What "mod" exactly did you install anyway, if you're running FSO you'll need a launcher like Knossos, just running the executable without the launcher won't properly configure commandline options and resolution.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

I used the Freespace open installer and clicked on "Basic".
After that it installed things.

What do you mean by launcher. WIll the game not run with the mods when I launch it via FS2.EXE?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Thing is, FreeSpace has become much, much more than the retail version over the two decades. Look around the "Installing FreeSpace Open" tab on the top-right corner for details.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Thing is, FreeSpace has become much, much more than the retail version over the two decades. Look around the "Installing FreeSpace Open" tab on the top-right corner for details.

But that still contains wxLauncher (really outdated) and FSO Installer (unknown) when Knossos is by far the most common thing.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I just wanted to give him directions. Sorry for trying to help.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

No no that's fine, it's just that the navbar apparently hasn't been updated since forever.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
 Hi estrichleger! I'm guessing you are new here, in which case welcome aboard  :)

Knossos is a combined installer, launcher, configurator. Think steam for freespace. You can download it via this link. https://fsnebula.org/knossos/

Once downloaded, installed and booted up simply click on the Explore tab and you will see the thumbnails for the 120+ mods, campaigns and total conversions the team at HLP have created over the last 20 year :-) Click on the ones you wish to download then play. If you need any further assistance let me know  :)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

I installed Knossos now but I have not the options for this mod I had have in the FOI. ALso there are just 9 or so Mods I can see. I read about a MediaVP which should be a complete conversion of FS2, I think.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
hummm.... I have attached a screen shot of what knossos should look like - you can see there are a lot of mods. Make sure you are looking on the explore tab - near the top left of the screen.

Madia VPs are the up-to-date graphics, sounds etc. you can play the base FS2 game with them by clicking on the media VPs thumbnail. Most of the mods also use the VPs - or a variation thereof - so they all look good. Best thing is that when the media VPs are updated it will update the graphics on most of the mods that use them, so they all start looking better than ever :-)

Hope this helps :-)

Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
PS - take a look at this thread https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=243.0 it may answer most of your questions :-)

hummm.... I have attached a screen shot of what knossos should look like - you can see there are a lot of mods. Make sure you are looking on the explore tab - near the top left of the screen.

Madia VPs are the up-to-date graphics, sounds etc. you can play the base FS2 game with them by clicking on the media VPs thumbnail. Most of the mods also use the VPs - or a variation thereof - so they all look good. Best thing is that when the media VPs are updated it will update the graphics on most of the mods that use them, so they all start looking better than ever :-)

Hope this helps :-)

Thats strange I'll only get this much. The problem is trhsat I wanna play the original game with better graphics as I did noit play it when it came out.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It looks like Knossos doesn't recognize that you have retail FS2 installed, since all of the mods you're seeing are total conversions that don't require it.  Did Knossos ask you to point it to retail FS2 during the initial setup?  I know there's a way to do it afterwards, but I'll defer to someone who's more familiar with it.

I selected the Installationdirector and there the root.vp. Now it shows much more Mods. Thanks for all your help here. I hope I can comeback when there is another problem.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:05:24 am by estrichleger »

Err. Is there a patch for having the textsa ingame a bit bigger on 4K? I cannot see whats written in the game itself