Author Topic: The official world cup thread  (Read 92189 times)

Offline Kie99

Re: The official world cup thread
USA just hit the post, keeper was beaten.

EDIT: 2-0 to the Czechs, absolute screamer.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:36:21 am by kietotheworld »
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Yep.  The Czechs - bar that Reyna shot - have looked pretty comfy, nice passing game and sitting back to hit on the breack, US short of any invention to break through.

US have brought on some more attacking players for the 2nd half, should get a bit more interesting; first half seemed really slow to me.

Italy and Ghana should be no problem, Czech republic we need to atleast tie.  We need to get first in our group to avoid facing brazil in the group of 16 (which, barring miraculous play, would be disasterous - though i'm not going to assume any result to a theoretical USA vs Brazil match)

To get first in our group we need to at worst
Tie Czech, win vs Italy, win vs Ghana
I think we have a good chance to sweep our group.

Famous last words?

Offline Shade

That post shot was awesome, but other than that I agree the Americans haven't looked anything like a contender for the match. Czechs are just ahead of them at every turn it seems, and unless they start taking some risks to get to the czech goal they have no chance.

[Edit] And that would have been 3-nil if Koller hadn't been injured.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 12:19:42 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Screamer by Rosicky off the bar, too.

Offline Shade

The american coach looks... well... catatonic I guess is the best description. It's time to take chances, do something crazy, not sit there and chew gum while events unfold (well, unless you're Duke, in which case you're out, pissed, and everyone else in trouble).

[Edit] And it's 3-nil. Beautiful pass by Nedved, clear run to the goal for Rosicky and bingo.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 12:34:24 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The american coach looks... well... catatonic I guess is the best description. It's time to take chances, do something crazy, not sit there and chew gum while events unfold (well, unless you're Duke, in which case you're out, pissed, and everyone else in trouble).

They've come on a wee bit stronger the last few mins but.......... 3-nil.

EDIT; AS I typed that :D

Deserved, I think.  Czechs have barely broke sweat, I don't think the US has got behind their back 4 once as of 80 mins.

Offline Shade

Definitely deserved. It could have been 4 and 5 goals for the Czechs if they'd bothered trying in the last 20 minutes. And that defense was like a brick wall. Strongest showing of any team yet, for sure, but I found it a bit stupid of them to draw yellow cards for kicking the ball away on free kicks when ahead by 3. Very entertaining game despite their massive dominance actually.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Italy and Ghana should be no problem, Czech republic we need to atleast tie.  We need to get first in our group to avoid facing brazil in the group of 16 (which, barring miraculous play, would be disasterous - though i'm not going to assume any result to a theoretical USA vs Brazil match)

Ahahahahaha.

I think you'll be lucky not to finish last in the group.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
So this is... the US's 8th consecutive defeat (of 8 played) in any World Cup organized in Europe.

Will there be a 10th?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 02:35:11 pm by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
This Italy-Ghana game is bloody ace, bytheway. :D

Offline Shade

Great entertainment, Ghana may lack organization but they can leave the Italians in their tracks whenever they accelerate... just need some accuracy and they would be on level score. But wtf is up with Ghana's keeper? Could he possibly be any worse? If Italy just aimed for the goal on the corner kicks instead of at their players, they'd be ahead by 7 or 8 by now :p

[Edit] Oh wow. This ref is worse than the Ghanese keeper...

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net

Ahahahahaha.

I think you'll be lucky not to finish last in the group.

screw you!

we come out flat in one game and you start making jackass comments like that?

go jump off a bridge

To Advance the following has to happen

Italy Beat Ghana (ghana could beat italy, but it would still be teh same)
Czech beat Italy and Ghana
USA Beat Italy and Ghana
that would make it

Czech 3-0-0, USA 2-1-0, Italy 1-0-0, Ghana 0-0-0  (WLD)
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
screw you!

we come out flat in one game and you start making jackass comments like that?

go jump off a bridge

To Advance the following has to happen

Italy Beat Ghana (ghana could beat italy, but it would still be teh same)
Czech beat Italy and Ghana
USA Beat Italy and Ghana
that would make it

Czech 3-0-0, USA 2-1-0, Italy 1-0-0, Ghana 0-0-0  (WLD)

Insipid, uninspired, technically competent but devoid of artistry and flair to break down teams.    Having watched Ghana vs Italy, both those teams are far, far, superior in terms of pace and flair.

Now, I appreciate you're hurting at a 3-nil humiliation, but get that arrogant and it bites you right in the arse, and I have no sympathy if you're going to be huffy about it.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
teams are far, far, superior in terms of pace and flair.

Now, I appreciate you're hurting at a 3-nil humiliation, but get that arrogant and it bites you right in the arse, and I have no sympathy if you're going to be huffy about it.

i'm "Getting all huffy" about people making jackass uninformed comments - we came out flat in one game and it cost us - no way in hell ghana is better than US and we should beat italy

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

i'm "Getting all huffy" about people making jackass uninformed comments - we came out flat in one game and it cost us - no way in hell ghana is better than US and we should beat italy

See?  Arrogant.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard

See?  Arrogant.

the only arrogant one here is YOU making presumptions

i said should beat italy, but there is no arrogance in saying there is no way ghana is better than the USMNT

we had one flat day and you accuse me of being arrogant for speaking a simple fact?

screw you

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I shall let my ICQ reply stand in ripose, and suggest you stay away from the bevvy.  Thank you for proving my point. :)

28119425: **** you retard
28119425: you're the one that is being arrogant
28119425: we have one flat day and you start running your mouth as if you know more about my own farking national team than me
aldo: grow up

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
[15:50] Kazan: you first
[15:51] Kazan: throwing arround "Arrogant" at people for making factual statements is immature
[15:51] Kazan: and rather insulting
[15:51] Kazan: if you cannot refrain from baselessly bashing other peoples national teams then I suggest you STFU and get out of that thread

Offline Shade

Nice job Italy, clear and deserved victory, especially as they did not fall into the trap of 'playing italian' and just defend the game home from a 1-nil lead without trying anything offensively, but instead kept up the pace throughout. Very promising for their further efforts. Commendable effort by Ghana, but they seriously need to ditch that keeper and put someone else on the goal... just some random fat guy picked from the crowd would do better.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Nice job Italy, clear and deserved victory, especially as they did not fall into the trap of 'playing italian' and just defend the game home from a 1-nil lead without trying anything offensively, but instead kept up the pace throughout. Very promising for their further efforts. Commendable effort by Ghana, but they seriously need to ditch that keeper and put someone else on the goal... just some random fat guy picked from the crowd would do better.

I think they lacked a bit of composure up front more than the keeper.  If they've learned enough from this match, they could be very dangerous - they look strong enough to press anyone.  Italy look very soild, but they actually were lucky not to give away a couple of penalties.  Their other 2 matches are against much slower teams (with the possible exception of Baros, who seems to blow very cold for his club, and very hot for his country), which should suit them a lot more, and I was quite impressed how they used their narrow midfield to draw out the fullbacks and give Gilardino and Toni space down the channels & pull apart the defence.  Not sure that tactic would work against most defensive-minded teams, granted.

Although, just saw a replay of Kuffour-Iaquinta, and it was a horrific challenge, clear red card were it not, of course, for the offside.  Of course, he got caught be Iaquinta for the 2nd.......

NB: Ghana keeper wasn't too bad; he did do a good shot-stopping job.

[15:50] Kazan: you first
[15:51] Kazan: throwing arround "Arrogant" at people for making factual statements is immature
[15:51] Kazan: and rather insulting
[15:51] Kazan: if you cannot refrain from baselessly bashing other peoples national teams then I suggest you STFU and get out of that thread

Can I suggest, if you want to keep insulting people and acting all petted-lip, you do it on the forum for all to see, rather than talking to yourself on an ignored ICQ channnel?

NB: watching USA-Czech highlights.  Feel vindicated.