Author Topic: Half of Britons don't believe in evolution  (Read 24942 times)

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
Re: Half of Britons don't believe in evolution
I believe there was also a woman from Britain who homeschools and still breastfeeds her 8 and 5yr olds. Im honestly not surprised.

Somehow there was a cosmic easy-bake oven and in this oven a big bang occured which lead to the creation of our solar system and the conditions were just right to cause life to develope. Evolution throughout millions of years has brought humanity to where it is today. Is this what you science worshippers think? Where did the matter that was involved in this big bang even come from in the first place? Doesn't biology say that all life comes from dead or pre-existing matter? Where did the material that is in the universe come from before this big bang occured? Untill you can prove where the universe started, ID is still just as plausible as anything science has brought forward.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
the god of the gaps is the weakest form of god
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Somehow there was a cosmic easy-bake oven and in this oven a big bang occured which lead to the creation of our solar system and the conditions were just right to cause life to develope. Evolution throughout millions of years has brought humanity to where it is today. Is this what you science worshippers think? Where did the matter that was involved in this big bang even come from in the first place? Doesn't biology say that all life comes from dead or pre-existing matter? Where did the material that is in the universe come from before this big bang occured? Untill you can prove where the universe started, ID is still just as plausible as anything science has brought forward.

*Checks his userprofile*

You registered for the sole purpose of making yourself look like religious idiot? Wow.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
You might want to look at String Theory and Singularities. There's a vast difference between the idea of a Deity 'setting the Universe in motion', as Stephen Hawkins states, and the idea of Intelligent Design, which suggests 'constant interference'.

Hawkins refuses to rule out God entirely, other scientists believe we can, it's certainly a fact that He is being pushed further and further back in the Cosmological cycle, right to the point where most of the 'unknown and unexplainable' part of that particular process has been reduced to the first few picoseconds of the Universe' existence.

ID is not exactly plausible if you consider the number of extinctions that have taken place, for example, why deliberate design something for it to be obliterated? That doesn't sound sensible, so we fall back on the old 'God moves in mysterious ways' adage, but that really doesn't explain anything either.

Just because Science doesn't have the answers yet doesn't mean that 'God did it', just as not knowing the orbital velocity of the Earth didn't mean it wasn't moving several centuries ago. Science is about finding the answers to those questions, but I think assuming the ID is valid up until the point that science has all the answers is not really a productive way of looking at things.

Offline iamzack

I don't think science will ever have all the answers... It seems like the best we can do so far is "all the evidence points to ____, and it hasn't been disproved yet."
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

You registered for the sole purpose of making yourself look like religious idiot? Wow.
[/quote]

Why do you think anyone who is religious is an idiot? Scientists sure haven't proved anything about where life came from have they? Doesn't pascow's wager make some sense?

Offline Daniel P

• CEO Of Dan Tech
I say let people choose to be religious or not.

Do we got the freedom to choose and not be force by both sides.

I say so what they are religious or not. We don't have the right to force them around and getting after their faith.  
Modding Freespace 1 and 2 seance 2005.

Offline iamzack

No. Pascal's Wager makes no sense.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

Why do you think anyone who is religious is an idiot? Scientists sure haven't proved anything about where life came from have they? Doesn't pascow's wager make some sense?

Nope, and Pascals wager doesn't either. Science has proved plenty about the origins of life, whatparticular aspect are you referring to?

Where did the matter that was involved in the big bang originate from? Did it just magically appear from oblivion?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I say let people choose to be religious or not.

Do we got the freedom to choose and not be force by both sides.

I say so what they are religious or not. We don't have the right to force them around and getting after their faith.  

Agreed, I'm fine with what people believe, but I believe for the main part in Science, and trying to push ID forward as 'Science' is, to me, attempting to force their beliefs into mine.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Where did the matter that was involved in the big bang originate from? Did it just magically appear from oblivion?

Well, I'll respond with another question in that case, what has that got to do with intelligent design?

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Seriously, people trying to argue for the invisible man in the sky get evolution and abiogenesis confused all the time
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline iamzack

It's the argument that all science that conflicts with the bible is wrong because ______ is not adequately explained.

The big bang is science's explanation of the origin of the universe and evolution is science's explanation of humans, so i would say they are related.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Why do you think anyone who is religious is an idiot?

Because if you are religious, you get to go HAHAHA IM RIGHT YOUR WRONG AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT! OH WHAT NOW?

To which I say "Please go spew bull**** somewhere else, your getting it on my new shirt."

Now, for the people who believe in religion but choose not to burden everyone else with useless, factless, and utterly pointless arguments, I have nothing against.

People who register for the sole purpose of arguing for a religious standpoint? uh, WHAT?

Offline iamzack

assholeish atheism is just as annoying, blackhole.

Naw this topic is not my only reason for registering, I do enjoy Freespace and space sims in general. I do like a good debate, I don't take it personally.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The big bang is science's explanation of the origin of the universe and evolution is science's explanation of humans, so i would say they are related.

Evolution is not sciences' explanation of humans, it's sciences explanation of all Life, and Life is not the same as the creation of Stars etc except in the most abstract of fashions, as in Supernovae etc provided the complex materials required to create the building blocks of life.

And who's to say that matter cannot spontaneously come into being? It doesn't happen 'now' to our knowledge, but then, we are inside the effects of the Big Bang even now, the more we learn of the pre-universe, the more it becomes apparent that it was a very strange place, we'd have to travel outside the Universe in order to experience it.

Basically nothing happened before Time existed because there was no time for it to happen in, Time itself is a very tricky subject, and we are a long way off from understanding its real nature, but that doesn't mean its nature is incapable of being understood.

And don't worry, I'm not taking it personally ;)