Poll

Is Religion Holding Us Back?

Yes
No
Snuffleupagus

Author Topic: Is Religion Holding Us Back?  (Read 35544 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Is Religion Holding Us Back?
To be clear, I'm not talking spirituality or belief, but rather the organized religion aspect.

I believe that we could be much farther along were it not for weird and nonsensical prejudices, and all of these wars fought in the name of zombie jews and space volcanoes. Religion is not based on any fact, rather faith, belief, and to an extent prejudice and fear-mongering. If God is real and omnipotent, surely he is intelligent on an incomprehensible level, and we're supposed to have free will, so why not do what we wish with our free will? Why is having sex bad if we choose to do it for pleasure? God allows us to, does he not? What horrible consequence does it have on our morals, ideals, or life? None. What's wrong with abortion, if we have free will do we not also have the right to choose an abortion? It's prejudices like these that hold us back.

Sure, religion has some good points (the combined efforts of some churches support worthy causes such as African-Aid etc) but these ideas can easily be found in many other places.

I say Yes, and I firmly believe that religion has no place in this world.

Kudos to Scotty for the idea.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 04:08:28 pm by colecampbell666 »
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline iamzack

Re: Is Religion Holding Us Back?
Individual spirituality/belief I think is a good thing, actually.

Organized religion seems to take all the good things and use them for evil.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Holding us back from what?

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
What timescale and period are we talking about?
lol wtf

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
DAMN!    :mad:

As I go to hit "submit" for the yes option, I accidentally clicked "snuffalupagus."

The perfect reason for it not to be there.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
From what we could achieve. Lower population growth due to better sex-ed leads to less food shortages. Stem-cell research leads to better understanding of the human genome and the ability to more effectively combat disease. quadriplegics will be able to move, thanks to new spines, courtesy of stem-cell research. No more wars fought over which zombie is cooler. No more laws lobbied for by people with only their faith backing their decisions, only those backed by reason (at least a larger portion).

What timescale and period are we talking about?
Clarify. I'll say current day and the future.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
No more wars fought over which zombie is cooler.

Not necessarily.  Some people are inherently idiots, and will fight over, quite literally, which kind of zombie would actually be cooler if it attacked the world.

On a side note, I do not dislike the foundation for religion, merely what it has morphed into.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Zombie = Jesus/Muhammed/Joe Smith/whoever.

Offline iamzack

muhammed wasn't a zombie
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
No-one holds your key to heaven but you.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
To be clear, I'm not talking spirituality or belief, but rather the organized religion aspect.

I believe that we could be much farther along were it not for weird and nonsensical prejudices, and all of these wars fought in the name of zombie jews and space volcanoes. Religion is not based on any fact, rather faith, belief, and to an extent prejudice and fear-mongering. If God is real and omnipotent, surely he is intelligent on an incomprehensible level, and we're supposed to have free will, so why not do what we wish with our free will? Why is having sex bad if we choose to do it for pleasure? God allows us to, does he not? What horrible consequence does it have on our morals, ideals, or life? None. What's wrong with abortion, if we have free will do we not also have the right to choose an abortion? It's prejudices like these that hold us back.

Sure, religion has some good points (the combined efforts of some churches support worthy causes such as African-Aid etc) but these ideas can easily be found in many other places.

I say Yes, and I firmly believe that religion has no place in this world.

Kudos to Scotty for the idea.

So because He gave us free choice, you must defy His glory?
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
So because He gave us free choice, you must defy His glory?

he gave us nothing we took it !

seriously giuys all this god stuff sucks so big

no proof no proof no proof
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
How is it defying his glory. I'm speaking of a divine being, not any of the human-wrought texts, or human ideals. Most of todays religion is blatant human opinion, if there is a God why would he lay down such arbitrary rules?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

From?  The vast, unending vaccuum of space?

Jerkish opinion alert!

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
How is it defying his glory. I'm speaking of a divine being, not any of the human-wrought texts, or human ideals. Most of todays religion is blatant human opinion, if there is a God why would he lay down such arbitrary rules?

Well, I'll certainly agree that the Holy Book is not to be taken at face value. You must find the message within.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic

From?  The vast, unending vaccuum of space?

Jerkish opinion alert!

because i do not believe what you believe then i am a jerk ..... nice

maybe you can stone me or banish me ......

your belief is your belief , there is no fact just opinion , i have no written work , no dogma , and no "im better than you" attitude
i am responsable for my actions and i will deal with that and not wait to be judged by my maker but judged by my peers

and yes we did come from the vast vacuum of space .... incredible

your beliefs are based on fear and oppression and have very little to do with anything else.....
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Jerkish opinion = "seriously giuys all this god stuff sucks so big"

your beliefs are based on fear and oppression and have very little to do with anything else.....

Amazing... You are able to qualify my beliefs despite not knowing me or what I actually believe   :eek2:

i have no written work , no dogma , and no "im better than you" attitude

1) I do have the first.  Point being?
2) Not really
3) Do I really have one of those?

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
I believe "holier-than-thou" is the correct attitude here.
- Ambrose Bierce
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I don't mind one way or another what people choose to believe in their hearts, what I do disagree with is the attempt to institutionalise it. Someone's belief or disbelief in heaven or God has no impact on me personally, however, religious institutions do attempt to impinge on my opinions, as the recent debacle with the UN 'Anti Religious-Defamation' act, there's a bag with a bear-trap in it if ever I saw one.

I don't believe in the idea of criticizing someone for what they believe, however, that's not the same as criticizing what they believe, it's almost as thin a line as the one between 'criticize' and 'attack'.

I think everyone's belief is unique to a certain degree, and to try and regiment those beliefs, to use an eternity of torture as coercion for joining their 'club' etc, makes organised religion a dangerous thing.

It's like the medicine man, he is the man in charge of both the initiation and the law of the tribe. You more or less live or die at his say-so. In many ways priests can be similar, they claim God is judging your soul, but the fact is that it is they who are doing so, it is they who claim you to be a 'sinner', not God.

Offline peterv

QFT