Author Topic: The HLP Book Club, 2015 Edition  (Read 47290 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: What Literature Be Ya Absorbed In? © 2012
Did you read the Emperor's finest? Is that one any good?

No, I haven't gotten it yet. I did end up with a copy of The Last Ditch, however, and I liked that one.

The only book in the series I don't like is Cain's Last Stand, and even that's by comparison to the others.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Those spinoffs make ol' Frank spin in his grave, and the rest of us wish for a Rock Burner to melt our sullied eyes.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

No, I haven't gotten it yet. I did end up with a copy of The Last Ditch, however, and I liked that one.

The only book in the series I don't like is Cain's Last Stand, and even that's by comparison to the others.

That's the one on the first siege of Perlia right? I thought that was the weakest too, it just seems everything goes right and there's no challenge at all for Cain. I asked because I think Emperor's finest is the one they finally that space hulk and ther reclaimers.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I can't even stand the Machine Revolt, seriously how did they f*** that up? it was practically already written in Frank's books! The revolts happened because of humanity's laziness and absolute dependence on machines at the time, they then change that to the B-movie plot of machines assumed direct control and enslaved humanity, this hurt me.

And

Spoiler:
the origin of the Atreides being a giant Synthetic mech, what the hell?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
That's the one on the first siege of Perlia right? I thought that was the weakest too, it just seems everything goes right and there's no challenge at all for Cain. I asked because I think Emperor's finest is the one they finally that space hulk and ther reclaimers.

Second Siege, actually.

First siege isn't so great either, but the second lacks other characters that are compelling, the first has a couple at least.

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I can't even stand the Machine Revolt, seriously how did they f*** that up? it was practically already written in Frank's books! The revolts happened because of humanity's laziness and absolute dependence on machines at the time, they then change that to the B-movie plot of machines assumed direct control and enslaved humanity, this hurt me.

And

Spoiler:
the origin of the Atreides being a giant Synthetic mech, what the hell?
Spoiler:
the titans took control of the planetary networks and by extension all robots attached to them and enslaved humanity, then they ****ed up and gave the machines too much control and eventually became enslaved themselves. of course this is all back story, id have liked them start it from when the humans took control of the machines. actually the whole thing seems like it was ripped from the prologue of the 80s movie.

also why didnt muad'dib see that in his other memory. seems like that kinda thing woulda stood out. of course frank was intentionally vague about the reasoning behind the golden path all the way till his last book. muad'dib knew what was gonna happen, leto ii knew what was coming, but none of the books gave any indication that it was machines. im not even convinced that was what frank was hinting at, i just kinda think it was a ploy to use characters from the existing spinoff books.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:54:36 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Second Siege, actually.

First siege isn't so great either, but the second lacks other characters that are compelling, the first has a couple at least.

I thought the vilains were badly done, Varan was way too weak, he barely shows up on the book and then out of nowhere Necron, what the hell?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
out of nowhere Necron, what the hell?

Isn't that supposed to be the Necron's thing? Appear out of nowhere and **** **** up?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
They were also kinda foreshadowed pretty strongly in the very first chapters.

A Feddie Story

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
That was Cain's paranoia, his fight with the nids would have made a better case that he would fight nids instead of necrons. The only thing the book is missing is a few more pages dedicated to building the villains more properly.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
That was Cain's paranoia, his fight with the nids would have made a better case that he would fight nids instead of necrons. The only thing the book is missing is a few more pages dedicated to building the villains more properly.

Anyone who has read these books should realize by now that when Cain is being paranoid, he's also usually being correct. Even when he's being fake-paranoid. (Traitor's Hand, Madame Sejwek.)

He also isn't just being paranoid; they make a reasonably convincing case.

A Feddie Story

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
...the bh+kja solution to which kinda sucked though.

"kinda sucked"

"Kinda"?

"KIND OF"?????

IT WAS AN ABOMINATION! A VILE DISGUSTING TRAVESTY! AS GABE AND TYCHO PUT IT, THEY ARE RAPING FRANK HERBERT'S CORPSE WITH EVERY NEW WORD PRINTED! THERE AREN'T WORDS ENOUGH IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE AS IT CURRENTLY EXISTS TO DESCRIBE THE SUCTIONING FORCE INVOLVED! MY SHIFT KEY IS KIND-OF BROKEN!

*ahem*

'Scuse me.

So yeah, I don't like the 'continuation' of that series.

-------------------------

I've just dug out my copy of Redwall to reread, after something Turambar mentioned on IRC the other day. Freaking rats, man...
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: What Literature Be Ya Absorbed In?
Got a Kindle for Christmas here is what has been read since:

Orson Scott Card:  Ender's Game

Isaac Asimov: Foundation, Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline watsisname

For leisure: 
LOTR: Two Towers.  I'm about a third of the way through right now; pick it up sometimes on a cold/rainy day when I feel like lazing around. :)

For knowledge: 
A few of the latest ApJ articles
BOB, aka the Big Orange textBook on introductory astrophysics, to get ready for next semester.
and a thick guidebook for getting more out of the new camera.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Just finished reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Best £1 I ever spent in a charity shop!
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

The Force shall free me.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
Just finished reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Best £1 I ever spent in a charity shop!

Great book. If you can't lay hands on the sequel immediately, you might find some enjoyment in the Lies of Locke Lamora. Similar 'verse, but a tiny bit more 'Oliver Twist'-ish in the characters.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft

Great book. If you can't lay hands on the sequel immediately, you might find some enjoyment in the Lies of Locke Lamora. Similar 'verse, but a tiny bit more 'Oliver Twist'-ish in the characters.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to get the sequal any time soon. I'm not even sure if it's been released in england yet. And with my limited funds, second hand books are my primary soucrce of reading material (bar gifts) so even if I could find it I doubt I'd be able to afford it. I'll keep an eye out for 'Lies' though.

The Force shall free me.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm currently reading through THIS for a second time.  Thank God for my eReader or I'd only be able to read it at home.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I just finished Myke Cole's Control Point.
I did not really like it all that much. It seemed to set out being extremely dark and gritty for the sake of being rather dark and gritty, and I really could not associate myself with the main character.

Also, I finished up Bernard Cornwell's latest "Death of Kings", and I loved it :).

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
The local indie movie theater is going to be showing Anna Karenina, so I decided to read the book. I'm currently a couple dozen pages in, and I've yet to find a character I don't despise. This is slow going.