Author Topic: Global actually play the ball mostly with your feet tourney, 2014 Edition  (Read 23314 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Global actually play the ball mostly with your feet tourney, 2014 Edition
Spain was an underdog to my standards on last world cup
Why? They were the champions of Europe.

Spain was rated in the top 10 and they were European champs, that's not really an underdog. I mean, there have been times when a team nobody thought would win did it, but even then it was a strong team that was expected to last at least until the quarterfinals. I think what Lorric was describing was a team that qualified as 3rd or 4th seed in their group, "true" underdogs.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Lorric

I'd consider anyone not called Brazil/Argentina/Spain/Netherlands/Germany/Portugal/England/France/Italy a true underdog.

Huh. That's a rather random selection. You've got France(ranked 17th) and Netherlands(ranked 15th), but you're missing Switzerland, Uruguay, and Colombia(ranked 6th, 7th, and 8th respectively).
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Lorric

FIFA ranking is terrible. Those teams are the "usual suspects".

I don't think FIFA ranking is really accurate, but your selection still seems a bit random. England, France, and Spain only won the cup once, and Netherlands never won it. I agree with the rest though, as they've all won the title multiple times.

Maybe my knowledge is too limited as I've only followed football since the 2002 cup in Korea and Japan(and even then I didn't pay full attention, it's hard to appreciate the subtleties of the sport when you're 8).

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
goddamnit.  i almost can't stand watching international soccer anymore because of the goalkeeping.  well, and the diving, but i'm slowly coming to look past that.  but having been a goalkeeper for 15 years, it baffles me some of the **** they do on the goddamn INTERNATIONAL level.  i'm really over tim howard.  not saying the goals were his fault or that he should have saved them, but he definitely should have given himself a chance to save them at least.  good reaction keeper, bad fundamentals.  i said after ghana that he came out and controlled his box flawlessly, and now i have to retract that.  that's what should have happened both goals, but he froze instead and waved at it from flat feet.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Luis Dias

I tell you, this world cup has been depressing to watch from Portugal, the only redeeming thing from it has been the google doodles.

I hadn't seen Portugal play so badly and so lacking in spirit ever since 2002. I predict a lot of mental mayhem is gonna drop in the last game against Ghana. A goal by Ghana in the first 15 minutes will be enough, Pepe will get the second red card (record holder?), and a referee will be punched in the stomach. I think I've seen this movie before...

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Underdog for my standards is a team that lacks a winning team composition (stars + decent players) or lacks football history, the relevance the turnament has in the country itself is also a plus.

I only rated Spain as an underdog because they had not win the cup before, and because their players where decent but no star was around to pull the weight through all the matches.

They did have players well above average, but that made them strong only as a team. Turns out it was enough to win that cup.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
right after my rant about goalkeeping, i'm watching aus-esp and thinking mat ryan might be the most impressive keeper i've seen since oliver kahn.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Lorric

Suarez bit a player for the third time in his career today. A savage-looking bite to the shoulder of Chiellini. The man's an animal.

Offline Mpez

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The funny thing is that it happened while I was watching The Walking Dead! :D
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You'd think biting someone multiple times would be enough for a lifetime ban.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, he's probably going to get a penalty imposed on him by FIFA.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I could not believe it when I saw it,  :lol: anyways.
he clearly has some issues, will probably loose the rest of the cup and maybe even more.
el hombre vicio...

will probably loose the rest of the cup and maybe even more.
Well, I guess he needs to

tighten his game.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Ahh yes, I always switch those two around.

Anyways, Argentina with a lousy performance again and yet we're in.
I'll repeat this until I'm proved wrong: argentina = Messi + 10.
el hombre vicio...

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Suarez ban announced.  It's actually pretty good: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/world-cup/luis-suarez-banned-from-remainder-of-the-world-cup/article19347136/

Though personally, after 3 biting incidents, I think he should be banned from all FIFA competition for life.  Good grief.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
well, and the diving, but i'm slowly coming to look past that.

I'm not.  Players who dive are a disgrace to the game.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]