Author Topic: Win 10 Upgrade  (Read 29243 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Why can't things keep looking good like they used to?
Thats why.[/snide remark]
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Really, my biggest gripe about Windows 10 (and 8) is the aesthetics. This "minimalist" design looks like crap, IMO.

So true. Am I supposed to feel some aesthetic pleasure from looking at few simple unicolored rectangles? Cause I dont. Vista and 7 were the nicest windowses. And its not just windows, new Android 5 is also ugly, with the exception of some nice transition animations. Cant wait until this minimalist fad is over and UI graphics artists will again have to earn their wage instead of coming up with what looks like a drawing by a five year old.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Luis Dias

You guys have terrible aesthetic tastes and you should feel terrible. I do wish Microsoft listens to you and gives you the option to impair your eyeballs with the horrible aesthetics of yesteryears, if by doing so I'm left unbothered by the results of your grievances.

Offline Luis Dias

"Windows XP looked nice" Jesus F Christ what is this, the Fisher Price generation? Pearls before Swine and all that. ****ing hell. And the comment about how designers are doing "5 year old drawings"? It can go **** itself.

Get better tastes before vomiting your ridiculous judgements.

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Visual design is a preference, every one is different, there isn't a need to insult anyone over it.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
So true. Am I supposed to feel some aesthetic pleasure from looking at few simple unicolored rectangles? Cause I dont. Vista and 7 were the nicest windowses. And its not just windows, new Android 5 is also ugly, with the exception of some nice transition animations. Cant wait until this minimalist fad is over and UI graphics artists will again have to earn their wage instead of coming up with what looks like a drawing by a five year old.
Exactly. Vista and 7 graphics were a bit overdone IMO, though quite easy on the eyes and rather pretty. They did reduce performance though, playing games like KSP in a window was a bit problematic. XP was good. Fast and good-looking, it was likely the best UI out there.
Thats why.[/snide remark]
That's not really this. This is not aversion to change, this is aversion to things that look like they were drawn by a 5 years old. And the latest everything does just that. Everything is boxy and "minimalist", uses a single color for each element and generally looks boring. Add garish and inappropriate contrasts between between those single colors, and you've got an ugly UI.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
"People are stupid, so just change it and tell them it's better.  They'll believe us."

- CEOs everywhere.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I've used a custom skin in every version of Windows going back to 98, with a black/dark gray background and white/green text. I use a 98-style theme like this in XP, and a more modern but similar looking theme in 7 and 8.1 with Classic Shell (the Dark Agility theme, with some extra changes I made). I intend to do the same in 10, so I don't care what it looks like by default.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I won't be upgrading to it either until it's been around for a while, but I do want DX12 sooner or later.

3.  When it was all done, the screen asked me if I was Michael (I am), and I clicked yes.  I did not sign in with my Microsoft account.  Windows 10 desktop appeared, but it was not my old desktop background or theme, and most of my desktop icons were missing.  Going through the personalization menu, I could not find any of my themes I had created before. 

Are there any theme patchers available (or necessary) for it? I use a custom theme in Windows 8.1 but need a theme patcher to make it work, which gets occasionally reverted and broken by Windows updates (which is why I never use auto-updates).

http://www.windowsxlive.net/   <- 10 support, check

You can mod it now.  I always thought the best-looking was Vista.  Piggishly slow, though.  I used to use Win XP with Vista Inspirat 2 installed -- there was a slight performance hit, but it looked as pretty as Vista (indeed, looked quite similar!) and was 2x faster than the Vista OS.

If you use Vista Inspirat 2, be sure to update RocketDock! The included version was based on a faulty compiler or somesuch.  Just copy the Vista Inspirat-themed rocketdock icons to another location, uninstall, install the new version, copy the icons over to the new install.

EDIT: Actually, Royale Noir was a very pretty theme for XP, you can get that here (they have Vista / 7 / 8 versions too, I'm sure 10 will be next).  Replaced the green / blue with dark almost metallic blue / black... it's green / black by default but I found a blue / balck one somewhere that was much better matching.    Ah, here we go, Royale Noir 1.2 Final, much better:

That should have been what XP shipped with.  :ick:  That and an officially patch UXTheme.dll -- locking themes was a huge mistake compared with Win '98 (which could be customized like crazy by default).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:19:15 pm by jr2 »

Offline Mikes

Visual design is a preference, every one is different, there isn't a need to insult anyone over it.

Except when they are wrong? :-) /ducks lol

Offline Luis Dias

An insult is ignorantly saying these designs look like being drawn by a 5 year old. That's more than insulting, it's offensive.

But I do recognize that the general taste displayed here is just in total lack of sync with .... ahhhh ... Let's say mine.

Does remind me of some ridiculous winamp themes back in the day, filled with useless crap just because they could. I guess people just love to torture their eyeballs.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
OS X looks really good :shobon:

linux looks really good if you're an expert graphics designer and you draw some great interface art
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken