Author Topic: Mjn Finishes Basement, Gets Suggestions (Lots of Pictures)  (Read 5621 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Mjn Finishes Basement, Gets Suggestions (Lots of Pictures)
* StarSlayer somehow expected Orion Main Hall in basement, still impressed!
Nah the cables were too thick to run behind the drywall.

Offline est1895

So what I would like to do is the Epson WF-3640 has an Ethernet card in it.   And yes the Epson guy got it wrong on which printer I have, but I think they are the same.  My computer is connected to the printer via Usb. So I was told that I could connect the other computer (separated by a wall) via the Ethernet connection on the back of the printer.  Now the other computer has only one Ethernet jack on the motherboard.  So if I get another Ethernet card or a new motherboard for the other computer, then I can connect it.  In theory, I think.  I don't even know if this would work.  That's why I posted the question here.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
@goob: most networking hardware detects what type of cable is used and does the flipping it's self if needed, so most of that might not be needed anymore, but otherwise yeah.

Networking hardware in the switch?  Or in the computer?

Because the last time I tried to directly connect two computers together -- and these were top-of-the-line recently-manufactured work laptops -- a regular cable didn't work.  It was necessary to use a crossover cable.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It needs to be supported by the NIC.  Even top of the line laptops skimp on components.  Learned about this in job school (it was mentioned anyways).  I forget what the exact phrasing of the tech is...  ah, here we go:

Auto-MDI-X  (MDI is normal, MDI-X is crossover, auto means it figures out what it has in place, and what the connection needs, and figures out the needed connections regardless of the physical layout.)

EDIT: I should mention, you only need one Auto-MDI-X interface, BTW, as that one will adjust itself and the other end will then have the correct connection as well.

EDIT2: You must have the data rate and duplex setting on the NICs set to auto for auto-MDI-X to work.  This is done in the adapter settings in the Network Connections Control Panel group in Windows.

{emphasis mine}

Auto MDI-X[edit]
To connect two ports of the same configuration (MDI to MDI or MDI-X to MDI-X), an Ethernet crossover cable is needed to cross over the transmit and receive signals in the cable, so that they are matched at the connector level. The confusion of needing two different kinds of cables for anything but hierarchical star network topologies prompted a more automatic solution.

Auto MDI-X automatically detects the required cable connection type and configures the connection appropriately, removing the need for crossover cables to interconnect switches or connecting PCs peer-to-peer. As long as it is enabled on either end of a link, either type of cable can be used. For auto MDI-X to operate correctly, the data rate on the interface and duplex setting must be set to "auto". Auto MDI-X was developed by Hewlett-Packard engineers Daniel Joseph Dove and Bruce W. Melvin.[2] A pseudo-random number generator decides whether or not a network port will attach its transmitter, or its receiver to each of the twisted pairs used to auto-negotiate the link.[3][4]

When two auto MDI-X ports are connected together, which is normal for modern products, the algorithm resolution time is typically < 500 ms. However, a ~1.4 second asynchronous timer is used to resolve the extremely rare case (with a probability of less than 1 in 5×1021) of a loop where each end keeps switching.[5]

Subsequently, Dove promoted auto MDI-X within the 1000BASE-T standard[5] and also developed patented algorithms for "forced mode auto MDI-X" which allow a link to be automatically established even if the port does not auto-negotiate.[6] This may or may not be implemented on a given device, so occasionally a crossover cable may still be necessary when connecting auto MDI-X to MDI-X (hub or switch), especially when autonegotiation is deactivated.[7] Newer routers, hubs and switches (including some 10/100, and all 1 gigabit or 10 gigabit devices in practice) use auto MDI-X to automatically switch to the proper configuration once a cable is connected. The other four wires are used but are not crossed since auto MDI-X is mandatory at the higher data rates (1000BASE-T transmits and receives on all pairs simultaneously without any dedicated send/transmit pairs).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:46:17 am by jr2 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
@goob: most networking hardware detects what type of cable is used and does the flipping it's self if needed, so most of that might not be needed anymore, but otherwise yeah.
anything capable of using 1gbit does auto-negotiation of that, therefore nyeaah.
if you have a gbit switch, you can stop caring :) src1|src2

Also, apropos Logitech speaker kits, not sure how relevant, but i got a ~$100 Z506 set. i would like those $100 back, as they are kinda ****. The older, cheaper Creative P380 2.1 system blows it out of the water completely.
But i'm sure you are aiming for higher quality devices, therefore my input on this front is kinda irrelevant :p

Yeah, I have the Z506 set and it's very meh. I'm kinda looking for something between that and a full blown home theater system connected to my computer. I don't want to spend that much.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rack+mount+jd+amp

I can personally recomend the Crown XLS1500 with an optical to rca converter.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:10:26 pm by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline LHN91

I'm running just an older Sony stereo amplifier with a pair of Paradigm Micro V2 bookshelf speakers, and honestly they sound wonderful. A reasonable quality amplifier and some good bookshelf speakers, maybe a medium size subwoofer would make a great computer sound system, and likely would cost about the same as an equivalent PC specific set.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd like to know if you used nails, brads or screws please.

Also I like your saw benches.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Stupid phone refuses to spew its SD contents to hard drive, so I'll need to fix that later so I can pry my pictures off of it.

Hiking is giving my lots of delicious ref material.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'd like to know if you used nails, brads or screws please.

Also I like your saw benches.

Nails, brads, or screws for what?

Screws for the drywall and framing. Tack nails for the trim. Or perhaps you mean for the sound panels? I attached wire horizontally across the back of them and then used drywall anchors and screws to hang them.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Finished electrical and lighting. The small pin lights in the alcove there are above where part of the desk I'm going to build will be. And yes.. you can totally see my current "office" in the basement behind the wall. That's where all the FS modding magic currently happens.

Offline est1895

How do you know if this is up to code?  Is there someplace on the web I can find the coding?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
most municipalities you can get their code online, and most of them are based on a larger standard.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Code in this case is pretty simple. Use pressure treated wood for the framing footers. All electrical junctions must be in rated boxes. Outlets at least every X feet (depends on location). Studs in the framing are at least 16 inches apart on center.

People tend to have this idea that building to code determines the place of every single screw, but really it's just guidelines for not building something like an idiot. :)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Insulation added... Wires tacked. Everything is ready for drywall. I'm guessing this room will be finished in less than 2 months.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Mud.. ew. I hate this step.

Paint! I love this step. Feels like progress. Also preliminary work on the desk.

Carpet/trim.

Stain the desk before putting it into place.

Just gotta put the protective coat on the desk and then move it into place. Then I move in! (well, I'll at least move my computer and office work in. I'll still sleep in the bedroom.)

that's a lot of plugs there
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The middle four are for my monitors which I'll mount to the wall. The outside 2 are combo plugs/usb built in. Great for phone charging and plugging in whatever peripheral temporarily I need without having to crawl under the desk! The plugs under the desk are for the computer(s) and other permanent peripherals.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Can you come by and do our basement next?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Maybe.