Author Topic: Realktek HD Audio Config for Headphones  (Read 1065 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Realktek HD Audio Config for Headphones
So, as part of this system upgrade I had to drop my old Auzentech Prelude (which had horrific driver support but amazing sound quality) soundcard and go to onboard audio on the new motherboard which is.... well, I'm having some difficulty with it.

I have a 5.1 Logitech speaker system with a headphone jack on the control pad.  With the Auzentech driver and utility, I simply opened it, selected headphones, and the drivers output the feed for headphones. Plugged into the jack, and away I went.

Except... the Asus HD Audio Manager doesn't have a headphone option. It has "stereo" with a "headphone virtualization."  Moreover, I can plug the headphones into the front jack on the computer and it will ask me if I plugged in headphones, and I select them, but no explicit headphone option in the driver panel.  Can't use the front port anyway - buzzing (unshielded it seems).  In the back port, same thing - can select front left/riht speakers or headphone upon plugging it in, but no headphone options in the driver appear.

What I've taken to doing is leaving the speakers connected, plugging into their override port, then opening the driver and manually changing the port to headphone, then setting speakers to stereo and activating the headphone virtualization.  See attached screenshot (the mouse is hovering over the green jack).

So, for the rest of you using onboard sound and headphones... how do you have it configured? Just looking for ideas, since the sound still seems wonky in 3D games. That may just be me missing my dedicated sound card, though.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: Realktek HD Audio Config for Headphones
I recently had to briefly go back to onboard sound from my X-fi XtremeMusic.  I decided instantly it was worth fighting with creative's awful support and drivers.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I recently had to briefly go back to onboard sound from my X-fi XtremeMusic.  I decided instantly it was worth fighting with creative's awful support and drivers.

My problem is Auzentech went out of business, and with them went driver support beyond the first iteration of Windows 8.  There may be an unofficial set for 10
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Oh.  Well I guess my next advice would be if you've got the money, might be time for a new card.  Last time I looked into it, I couldn't find a good one for me, because everything was gaming and headphone centric (I want a general audio/music centric through PC speakers like I have now).  Which may be right up your alley, though I don't know how good they any of them will be for plugging into ports on speakers instead of the cards themselves.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You should be able to modify this guide and use it for Win 10 (guide is for getting Win 7 drivers to work on 8/8.1).

http://www.getdriver.com/how-to/2410/make-windows-7-drivers-work-windows-8-8-1-inf-modding.html

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Booya! Actually, found a set of community updated drivers for X-Fi based cards. One minor quirk - it doesn't remember volume, but otherwise it go the card working again flawlessly.

And what a difference. Never would have believed it. Heart my soundcard, even if Auzentech was a good mfg with ****ty drivers.