Author Topic: More shootings  (Read 10661 times)

Offline Aesaar

Which doesn't mean **** because thinking groups of minority people are suspicious happens all the time and most of those result in absolutely nothing.

So sure, you've go someone who, in hindsight, says "yeah they were acting suspiciously", but what he doesn't mention is that group of black guys he thought was suspicious last week, which ended up being nothing.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:15:15 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
so you have someone who has effectively trained themselves not to report any suspicious activity at all.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Details of this case aside, I do sometimes think how it would be really awkward to end up in a situation where you think someone of a minority/ethnicity/whatever which usually gets treated as suspicious is acting suspicious. It's pretty much impossible at that point to start quickly deep-analyzing your own thought patterns on the spot and know whether you found them suspious only because of their behavior or not, unless it's actually not just suspicious but more like obvious. If you do something, it might be due to their minority/ethnicity/whatever because you're being a prejudiced ass, and if you don't do anything, it'll be due to their minority/ethnicity/whatever because you don't want to risk being a prejudiced ass. :doubt:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I guess that makes the Democratic Teenage dream: video games, virtual relationships and never have to break a sweat? :p

Probably.

(Actually I suspect it's Guns, Money, and Blowing **** Up, because teenagers are pretty unified in their belief in these things, and also why Klaustrophobia is wrong.)

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I guess that makes the Democratic Teenage dream: video games, virtual relationships and never have to break a sweat? :p

this is a horrible ad hominem, spardason isn't a democrat
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Livin' the American Dream, as defined by teenage Republicans: Guns, God, and Blowing Things Up.

That statement is every bit as valid as "muslims are terrorists."

Seriously, ENOUGH with the "republicans are crazy racist gun fanatics" lines.

this is a horrible ad hominem, spardason isn't a teenager

Klaustrophobia and Phantom Hoover have a good point.  NGTM-1R's comment was indirect whereas Phantom Hoover's (earlier) comment was direct, but both were cheap shots.

If you don't want this thread to devolve into rhetoric vs. rhetoric, then don't use rhetoric yourself.

I just think its hilarious that he's saying I worship God, when in fact I'm pretty resolutely agnostic, inasmuch as one can devoutly adhere to "I just don't know enough one way or the other to be sure."
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I just think its hilarious that he's saying I worship God, when in fact I'm pretty resolutely agnostic, inasmuch as one can devoutly adhere to "I just don't know enough one way or the other to be sure."

That's actually the rational position.  Faith is not a theorem, it's a postulate.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
so you have someone who has effectively trained themselves not to report any suspicious activity at all.

From the article, from the man who said he didn't want to racially profile:
“We sat around lunch thinking, ‘What were they doing around the neighborhood?'” he said.  “We’d see them leave where they’re raiding the apartment.”

Once again. What suspicious activity? Being Middle-Eastern?

It's possible that they were doing something suspicious that wasn't mentioned in the article and in that case he should have reported it regardless of what ethnicity they were. But there are no facts in evidence that they were doing anything suspicious other than being a bunch of Middle-Eastern men he didn't know. You can't report someone for that. And frankly it's really ****ing disturbing to hear you repeatedly claim that he should have.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
And frankly it's really ****ing disturbing to hear you repeatedly claim that he should have.

You're being tendentious.  SpardaSon21 made his position perfectly clear in his previous post:

Because apparently I didn't communicate my statement clearly, let me rephrase it.  When there's suspicious activity happening in your area, I think worrying about being racist should be secondary to worrying about the suspicious activity.

Yes, and Karajorma is pointing out that nobody can apparently articulate what this 'suspicious activity' was, beyond the race of the men involved.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773

Went right over your head.  NGTM-1R said Conservative teenagers are all about guns and blowing stuff up so I jested back that liberal teenagers are all about being weenies who are scared to break a sweat. Everyone loves sterotypes.

Some of y'all need to lighten up and laugh a bit.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 12:49:07 pm by WeatherOp »
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Went right over your head.  NGTM-1R said Conservative teenagers are all about guns and blowing stuff up so I jested back that liberal teenagers are all about being weenies who are scared to break a sweat. Everyone loves sterotypes.

I think you might want to double-check that your sarcasm detector is functioning properly.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773

I think you might want to double-check that your sarcasm detector is functioning properly.

Dude, it never functions.....

I lost that years ago underneath all the junk that multiplies in my house
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Is it still drive by posting when it's FACTS!? (And an attempt to steer the topic back to something politically relevant)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you post something with the intent of shaping the discussion in some way, but at the same time declare openly that you won't stay around to participate further, only then are you guilty of drive-by posting. At least that's my definition of actionable drive-by posting.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Ok, so we are done talking about the Islamic terrorist atack in calafornia? That's what I thought this topic was about.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yes, and Karajorma is pointing out that nobody can apparently articulate what this 'suspicious activity' was, beyond the race of the men involved.

Exactly.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok, well if we are shifting the topic can I ask a question I haven't heard asked. What has changed in the last few years that has suddenly made this a problem? We have more gun legislation now than ever, not a sudden increase, but every few years some more legislation get passed. Guns have not changed significantly in the last 50ish years. Why now all of a sudden? what changed? I don't remember there being any major regulations that have been repealed recently, maybe I just missed it, was there something? is it just the media fanning the flames? is it fluoridated water?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Help help I'm being oppressed by commentary not directed at me. Return your ability to detect sarcasm, and possibly to read at all considering the followup postings, in its original packaging to the manufacturer.

Goober, you too. Actually, you moreso, considering your eagerness to jump on the issue as though you had something useful there.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story