Author Topic: Boycotting Sodastream?  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Boycotting Sodastream?
I don't really want to say much here, nor get into yet another debate about this or that. If you know who Sodastream is and why one might boycott them in the first place, just go ahead and watch this video. If you're not familiar with them, go read the Wikipedia article or something, and then watch the video. That's really the only reason I'm posting this thread - to share the video.

It was good to see the genuine friendship between the various workers there. :yes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: Boycotting Sodastream?
I boycott SodaStream solely because there was this super annoying TV ad for it some years back. There's stupid ads all the time obviously, but unlike most, this one has embedded itself in my mind particularly strongly. Hence no deal. :ick:

In July 2014, Sodastream fired 60 Palestinian workers after they complained about not receiving sufficient food to break Ramadan fasts during night shifts (the company does not permit employees to bring their own food because the plant follows Jewish dietary restrictions) and called a wildcat strike.

lovely people
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

In July 2014, Sodastream fired 60 Palestinian workers after they complained about not receiving sufficient food to break Ramadan fasts during night shifts (the company does not permit employees to bring their own food because the plant follows Jewish dietary restrictions) and called a wildcat strike.

lovely people

Which would align with the criticism where one worker says they don't complain because they know they'll be fired if they do. It's easy to get a lot of people to smile for the camera if they know they'll be fired otherwise.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Why does a company enforce religious rules anyway? IMO, companies should stay out of this unless 99% of their employees actually follow a single religion. And even then, it'd be much more sensible to let the employee him/herself decide how closely to follow the religious rules.

This is exactly what's causing all those integration problems. Specifically Jewish rules are enforced in all sorts of places in Israel. In most cases, this does nothing but antagonize non-Jews. I imagine that even Jews who don't particularly care about religion wouldn't be too fond of having someone shove these (in many cases pretty stupid) rules down their throat.

Offline est1895

Thanks for sharing my friend Sandwich.  Always good to hear something positive.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Birnbaum] described the factory as "building bridges between us and the Palestinian population.

Bridges are a vital part of any invasion strategy. So he's probably more correct than most people realise.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
My gf stopped using SodaStream when the prices got jacked up. It was simply cheaper to buy soda again.