Author Topic: Problem with Google Chrome/update  (Read 2222 times)

Offline CT27

Problem with Google Chrome/update
On Chrome, I usually go to "Help", then "About Google Chrome" to check for updates.

However, today when checking for updates on "About Google Chrome", I got this message:
An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80070057 -- system level).

I've never had that happen before and I haven't made any major changes lately so I don't know what's going on. Can anyone help me fix Chrome updates?

FYI I'm using Windows 7.

Offline LHN91

Re: Problem with Google Chrome/update
I believe there's a registry entry that controls Chrome updates - some malware likes to set it to disabled to keep itself active

Offline CT27

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome as someone else suggested but the problem remains.

I also did a scan with my antivirus and a scan with Malwarebytes; both came up clean.

Offline Doko

chrome needs 2 services running to update I think. Check to make sure google updater is not disabled.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Jumping the gun a bit there aren't you? You should consider the possibility that the problem is not on your end. If the problem persists for more than 24 hours and at least one reboot of your computer, then it is most likely something you need to concern yourself with.

Offline CT27

chrome needs 2 services running to update I think. Check to make sure google updater is not disabled.

How do I specifically check for this?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
start > run > services.msc

Dunno what the two services are called, probably Google update service -- yeah I've got two called that, gupdate and gupdatem

Offline CT27

start > run > services.msc

Dunno what the two services are called, probably Google update service -- yeah I've got two called that, gupdate and gupdatem

I'll try your suggestion later but for now I may have discovered a sort of workaround.  I was able to update Chrome by going to the Chrome download page itself and downloading the new version.  The problem with Chrome's internal updater is still there but at least I have the new version for now.