Author Topic: Microsoft bringing BASH to Windows  (Read 2434 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Microsoft bringing BASH to Windows
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/30/11331014/microsoft-windows-linux-ubuntu-bash

I've also heard they are bringing the Ubuntu userspace to Windows as well as the ability to run Linux binaries natively. Like Wine, but in reverse.

Re: Microsoft bringing BASH to Windows
i bet stallman's gnawing his toes off in rage
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

(i dunno why people keep selling this short by calling it 'bash on windows', it's basically a full 'linux' environment running natively in a windows system; it's nearly a direct counterpart to WINE)
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
MS released a video which should answer a lot of questions you might have:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/P488?ocid=player

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
(i dunno why people keep selling this short by calling it 'bash on windows', it's basically a full 'linux' environment running natively in a windows system; it's nearly a direct counterpart to WINE)

Speaking of WINE (and this thing), I'm genuinely surprised no one has written some software that allows one to run OS X binaries on Linux or Windows natively.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Speaking of WINE (and this thing), I'm genuinely surprised no one has written some software that allows one to run OS X binaries on Linux or Windows natively.
...And what, exactly, would you want to run with this capability? It's not like there's a lot of popular OS X-only games out there.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Or OS-X exclusive applications without counterparts or official ports to Windows, for that matter.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Bafflingly, much of the web development community is Mac-centric, so a lot of webdev-related apps are Mac only.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I think it's because of hipster culture.

It'd be a ton of effort to maintain, just like WINE is, and as outlined above there wouldn't be a great deal of benefit from doing so. You can kind of look at GNUstep as a very incomplete equivalent to winelib, but it's a very long way from a full compatibility layer.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Well this is a surprising boost from MS for open-source software.  While most major open-source software has been ported to Windows, there are still a fair number of more utility-type or niche applications that are written solely for Linux.  Be nice to finally be able to run them from within the environment where I actually need them :)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

A lot of Linux people are extremely (and reasonably) worried that this is the first E of Microsoft's notorious Embrace, Extend, Extinguish strategy. As far as I know it hasn't resulted in much direct contribution to free software; I don't think the compatibility layer with the Windows kernel is open-source.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I wonder if this would enable the use of Plasma or Cinnamon on windows
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

It won't; they apparently have no plans for GUI compatibility.

It's also worth noting that you won't be able to launch Windows software directly from the Linux environment (because Linux processes work very differently to Windows ones); this is very much a tool for developers, not general use.