Author Topic: Panama Papers  (Read 8519 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
are you seriously implying that I am seriously implying that it ever was?

but to answer your question. No.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

you are seriously implying they don't have their own agendas to push?

No, but not in the way you're implying!

Ahum.

CNN, MSNBC and Fox are all these 24 hours news networks that need constant sensationalism in order to keep people watching - The daily mail uses similar tactics. But the issue what I have with that statement of yours is that you're comparing something like Fox News to something like Aftenposten or NRC Handelsblad. There's a reason why these papers get selected for Wikileaks, and that is because their agenda is not aligned with a political party but rather aligned with the ideals of journalism itself. Can you really blame someone for having an agenda when that agenda is to be as honest as possible?

CNN and Fox and MSNBC completely suck but they are not representative for the state of media all around the world.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I can blame them when they choose "honesty" over objectivity.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

I can blame them when they choose "honesty" over objectivity.

A journalist can never be truly objective. Part of their job is selecting what information is or is not important. I'd rather have someone I can trust figure that out rather then have a system that encourages dumping every sex tape online for the sake of objective truth.

Look, sorry, but you're lumping in outlets whose agenda revolves around uncovering the truth and to be truthful and accurate in their reporting with companies who can not succeed unless they keep feeding people sensationalism because else they stop watching. That is a massive overgeneralization.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:24:52 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
They can try to be objective, they can not misrepresent someone's position. I'd rather have someone who told me what everyone involved is saying and figure it out myself than rely on someone else to make my opinions for me.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
They can try to be objective, they can not misrepresent someone's position. I'd rather have someone who told me what everyone involved is saying and figure it out myself than rely on someone else to make my opinions for me.

Not everyone involved has equal coverage primarily because not everyone involved equally has something to say. I mean, you can pretty much assume Donald Trump disagrees with anything a news network says about him. If you couldn't draw that conclusion on your own already, then I'm not sure why you think anyone will let you figure it out on your own because you're probably not equipped.

And you're equating "misrepresentation" with "reporting" in some strange way. People will check that what they are being told is verifiable; they'll check facts; simply uncritically publishing statements is in no way "objectivity" and is really quite the opposite. "They said this, and it's not true/is true according to x" is kind of how objectivity works, rather than just "they said this, and as we are not qualifying it most people will assume that we agree".

If nothing else, it allows you to check and determine their biases.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Ironically Bobboau's position is remarkably consistent with "Teach the controversy".
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I have no problem with creationists having their accurate position being communicated and allowing them to make an argument for their idiotic case. I think it helps long term and I think censoring them gives them far more power.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

I have no problem with creationists having their accurate position being communicated and allowing them to make an argument for their idiotic case. I think it helps long term and I think censoring them gives them far more power.

... How does censorship even play into this?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
not letting a person/group present their position.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
There's a difference between being allowed to present your position and being given a free platform to broadcast your position.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and there is also the case of one side being characterized by their opposition who is then given a free platform to present themselves unopposed. I am opposed to this.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

You have no problem with creationism being taught in science class?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yes I do have a problem with that obviously.

I am rather interested in how you construed what I have been saying about how the media should handle things to say something about what should be taught in classrooms.
It is in fact the creationists failure when given equal footing that gives me confidence in opposing them.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:22:27 am by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'd rather have someone who told me what everyone involved is saying and figure it out myself than rely on someone else to make my opinions for me.

Sounds like a pretty good argument for why creationism should be taught in science class to me. If you expect the teachers to fact check and only tell the side that is actually consistent then why not reporters too?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
because how am I to decide if I want creationism taught in schools or not if I don't know what creationism is? maybe they have some good point.? I now know, having heard them, that they don't. I only know that because they were given a fair chance to make their case and failed.

Just so I have a clear idea what you want, what do you consider the ideal?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:32:32 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
But why should you get to make the decision and not the kids who are to be taught in the class?

As for what I want. I'm quite happy to be told the truth by a newspaper I trust. I don't need to hear everything so I can make the decision myself when there obviously is only one side to the story.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I don't need to hear everything so I can make the decision myself when there obviously is only one side to the story.
Generally, when there's "obviously" only one side to the story, it's a good cue that you're not being told everything. There's always another side to the story. Even the most despicable creatures in human skin should be allowed to state their reasons for being what they are at least once. Usually it won't change anything, but you can't be certain until you hear it.

Ultimately, even if you're told "the truth" by a newspaper you trust, you're still getting it colored by someone else's viewpoint. Even if the newspaper as a whole is supposed to be unbiased, personal agenda of particular writers might still seep through. Ultimately, I always take secondary sources with a bigger or smaller grain of salt. Good as arguments in a discussion, but when it comes to making my own worldview, it's primary sources or bust. Especially in cases like this, where there's a lot of money and a huge potential for foul play involved. I see Wikileaks as no different than anyone else, except for the times they allow direct access to material they gather.

Creationism should not be taught in a science class because, well, it isn't science (those who insist it is usually have no idea of how actual science works). It should be taught in the religion class, where it belongs. Then the kids can decide which teacher to believe. It is definitely important to hear both points of view, but they should be categorized appropriately.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well, for one thing they are children and I am an adult.
second those kids can hear the debate on the news just like me.

As for your vision for journalism... that attitude disgusts me.
So I guess we have an impassable difference of values. Fortunately I'm not prescribing what you should do, but describing why I have no faith in the media.
:doubt:
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Generally, when there's "obviously" only one side to the story, it's a good cue that you're not being told everything. There's always another side to the story.

Really? So you need to hear the "Aliens shot it down" side of a plane crash story too?