Author Topic: Wikileaks hosts Hillary's Emails  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Wikileaks hosts Hillary's Emails
searchable archive

https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/

if you are interested.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mikes

Re: Wikileaks hosts Hillary's Emails
Frankly... not sure I would want to read anyone's E-Mails that are not my own.

Out of principle kinda.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
supposedly she has done all sorts of illegal things and she is a presidential candidate. this gives people the opportunity to find evidence of that or, to find evidence of that evidence being bull****.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

I really hope a 3rd party candidate steps up.  The prospect of a vote between Trump and Clinton is enough to make me weep.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Mikes

supposedly she has done all sorts of illegal things and she is a presidential candidate. this gives people the opportunity to find evidence of that or, to find evidence of that evidence being bull****.

So let me get this straight ... this is her private email that is laid out for everyone to see. And because she's accused of something and/or because she s a celebrity/presidential candidate people think this is somehow ok to let the whole internet sift through private mail that likely contains mail to family, friends and spouse, etc.?

So if that's ok, then why give a f*** about the NSA reading anyones mail.
Why not just upload everyones mail to the internet and be done with it!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:46:11 am by Mikes »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's a bit more complicated than that: Clinton apparently ran an email server to do official state department business on, outside of the normal state department IT establishment.

Also note that the emails there were obtained through FOIA requests to the state department; in other words, these are treated as official correspondence. Releasing them is not a violation of her privacy per se.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It's a bit more complicated than that: Clinton apparently ran an email server to do official state department business on, outside of the normal state department IT establishment.

Also note that the emails there were obtained through FOIA requests to the state department; in other words, these are treated as official correspondence. Releasing them is not a violation of her privacy per se.

This is the crux of the issue, she was supposed to utilize government infrastructure for email but instead decided to do her own thing.  This breach in protocol, coupled with possible negligence during the Benghazi fiasco are why she is under investigation and why this is publicly available.  While I detest utilizing a tragedy solely for a partisan mud slinging charade its still testament to an arrogant mentality in regards to following the rules.

I absolutely loath the presidential options this year.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Part of the reason why she did this was because neither the State Department nor the NSA were able or willing to provide her with the same sort of mobile email access that Obama or even Clinton's predecessor as Secretary of State (Condoleeza Rice) had.

There is a lesson in this for businesses and BYOD policies....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/nsa-refused-clinton-a-secure-blackberry-like-obama-so-she-used-her-own/
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/this-is-the-phone-nsa-suggested-clinton-use-a-4750-windows-ce-pda/

Yep. More details on that in the links above. I'm somewhat baffled as to why they believed a Windows CE device (running IE no less!) would be more secure than a hardened Blackberry but this is government IT we're dealing with.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I really hope a 3rd party candidate steps up.  The prospect of a vote between Trump and Clinton is enough to make me weep.

That would be really awesome.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/nsa-refused-clinton-a-secure-blackberry-like-obama-so-she-used-her-own/
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/this-is-the-phone-nsa-suggested-clinton-use-a-4750-windows-ce-pda/

Yep. More details on that in the links above. I'm somewhat baffled as to why they believed a Windows CE device (running IE no less!) would be more secure than a hardened Blackberry but this is government IT we're dealing with.

Explain to me how we issue our Reserve USMC Lt. Colonels secure BlackBerrys (I helped set up the swap to a new device once when we got a new CO), but bot the Sec State????

Something is very broken here.  Or very, very covered up.  Don't know which.  Both?  This is mind-boggling.  Security is taken very seriously on RESERVE USMC squadrons, how can it possibly be any less up top?  Like if you plug in a USB flash drive into a computer, it used to kick that computer off the network and there was explaining to do.  Same with if your virus definitions couldn't update for a while (which was a pain when the people that worked there only showed up once a month - if they forgot to leave their computer plugged in (or shut it down), the definitions wouldn't update, and the next time they came in and tried to get work done, they had to submit a ticket).

TL;DR: as someone who has worked with government security, :wtf:

EDIT: I suppose it could come down to civilian operators of the equipment vs military operators.  If your superior tells you to break the rules in the military, you don't (or at least know it's forbidden to) break the rules.  In the civilian world, you just do it, and if you get in trouble, well, your boss told you to, so it's his fault.  In the military, yeah, he's getting an NJP, but so are you, and rightfully so.

However, any civilian with the top secret security clearance required to work on such systems would know better.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:00:20 pm by jr2 »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
TL;DR: as someone who has worked with government security, :wtf:

This actually was a problem when Obama came into office too; he wanted a Blackberry and there was food fight interagency about it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah, but Obama could just say

"Who's the commander-in-chief?"
*points thumbs at his chest*
"This guy!"

Hillary couldn't do that so she was stuck with whatever crap the NSA tried to peddle off on her.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
any civilian with the top secret security clearance required to work on such systems should know better.
FTFY
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Speaking as a civilian user of goverment security computers, any of us plebeians that did this would be absolutely roasted alive.  Instant termination, and I wouldn't be surprised with jail time.  That's before taking in to account the seeming willful and deliberateness.  And I'm not even talking Top Secret here, I'm just a lowly Confidential.  I.e. the stuff you can google and find out anyway.

I also don't believe for a second the bit about refusing her a secure blackberry.  There are probably in excess of 100 civilians at my shipyard with those (except they've moved on to iphones now).
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
There are NOW. They showed the device the government wanted her to use.

Offline qwadtep

Yeah, but Obama could just say

"Who's the commander-in-chief?"
*points thumbs at his chest*
"This guy!"

Hillary couldn't do that so she was stuck with whatever crap the NSA tried to peddle off on her.
So do what the rest of us do when a coworker is being uncooperative and go to their boss about it. Who was Obama.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm not saying that isn't exactly what she should have done.