Author Topic: ! Might it become possible to run old Windows programs on WINE on Ubuntu on W10?  (Read 1820 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
! Might it become possible to run old Windows programs on WINE on Ubuntu on W10?
Considering some programs have compatibility issues.  Like some retail Freespace installers (16-bit installer won't run on x64 OSes, even though the game itself is 32-bit).

Example: http://askubuntu.com/questions/308671/run-win-16-bit-application-in-wine  (user getting Castle of the Winds to run on WINE).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: ! Might it become possible to run old Windows programs on WINE on Ubuntu on W10?
No. At least not in the beginning. AFAICT, the Linux subsystem doesn't expose any rendering functionality; you can't get an X server to run on it, let alone something as complex as WINE.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: ! Might it become possible to run old Windows programs on WINE on Ubuntu on W10?
Darn.  Well, hopefully that changes. :nod:

There used to be a project to cut out the middleman and implement Wine directly on Windows for exactly this purpose, but it's thoroughly dead by now.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, there's always HyperV. Windows 10 has the ability to create a VM with your Windows OS of choice.

Sure, but that's a lot of overhead just to run an installer. Although in this case people probably shouldn't be trying to run installers from 1999 at all except to extract the files.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I tried Wine on Windows at one point (the project referred to earlier) but could never get it to work. The 16-bit programs are easy to deal with though. I use XP in VMWare for the 16-bit installers, and Win 3.1 in Dosbox for the really early 16-bit programs. The 32-bit DX5-DX7 games are a bigger issue in terms of compatibility. VMWare is probably the best platform for them and its 3D support is much better than the other options out there, but still not very good.

I was one of the people trying to get Wine on Windows to work. I could never get it to compile, and the person running the wiki i was following and talking to never did either. Did someone actually get that going at some point?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
There is a compiled version floating around, but I didn't find any use for it in terms of getting broken games working.

Well, I simply have VirtualBox installed with a Windows XP x32 virtual machine.
Setting it up takes about 20 minutes. Much less than setting up this windows->linux->windows beast.
And it's much more stable than any WINE for windows solution. ;)
Works a treat for all x16 software and the only overhead you got is 4GB of disk space and 500MB of RAM as well as 5% kernel time.
(also, virtualBox is able to pass through 3D rendering instructions on a windows only environment.)
It boots in 15 seconds.
To compare this:
FreespaceSCP gulps up 30GB on my drive and whenever I open my browser it already uses more than 1GB of RAM.

The overhead is tiny for our modern 4GHZ CPUs. The OS does not mind, your system does not mind and the 16bit application certainly gets enough power.
Just use it for all your 16 bit needs and it'll soon pay off. :)