Author Topic: Stars near Kepler-186  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet

• Worst Modder HLP has ever seen
Stars near Kepler-186
Alright, I don't know where else to post this, so here you go:

I'm working on a campaign, mainly based on Kepler-186 and surrounding star systems. I mean, it would be strange having a Node leading to Alpha Centauri or something, while in Kepler-186. I've been searching but have only found Kepler-62 and Gliese 667. So would anyone with basic astronomical knowledge maybe tell me any other stars in a max. 100 lightyear distance away from those three stars?

Thanks.

-WOOT
"I thought the Medal Display thingy was a baking tray!"

Re: Stars near Kepler-186
there are surely better solutions to this (space engine? celestia?) but i know for sure that elite: dangerous imported a ton of star catalogues into its galaxy map, which can be dynamically navigated ingame
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'll leave this hear a little while before moving it to Gen Freespace. I know Watsisname (however he spells that) is an astronomer of some sort so we do have people with that knowledge about.

Bear in mind that there isn't that much of a correlation between actual star positions and the nodes linking them. :v: simply picked stars that were well known to them. That said, if you have another reason why you want a nearby star, I'm suddenly more interested in the campaign, cause I had similar ideas when I first started building a campaign.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

That's the software you want when answering questionbs like this but, if you look at the official V map and compare the real star locations to the subspace locations, there's no real association. You can assume that that means that subspace follows a non standard n-dimnensional geometry which does not neccesarily correlate with distance in our own three dimensional manifold, or you can assume V was more interested in stars with cool names than they were astronomy. Either or. :p

So feel free to go wild.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah, but there may be reasons to choose nearby stars. For instance anything 4LY from Capella is going to be getting hit by the supernova blast wave 4 years later. You could have all kinds of interesting missions result from that.

Thanks for all your responses. They will be a great help later on, when I have more time to work on the campaign.

For those who are interested:

The reason I picked Kepler-186 is because my campaign (well, the first part of it at least) is mainly about two different Terran Militaries. The FoSaS  (Federation of Sol and Surrounding) and the TLK (Terran Legion of Kepler). It all basically comes down to another war of Independence, where the TLK wants to be a fully self-responsible Faction.

Yes, there will be a tea party involved.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well if there are no astronomical reasons why you picked that particular star system, just pick other stars you like the name of.

Offline watsisname

I would go with Phantom Hoover's suggestion of using Celestia or Space Engine to find stars nearby and their properties. :)

Here are some map screenshots from Space Engine (catalog stars only), centered on Kepler-186.

Nearest 20pc
Nearest 50pc
Nearest 100pc

You have to go out about 50pc to start finding many stars with interesting names.  The rest are all Hipparcos or other Kepler Object of Interest stars.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

I would go with Phantom Hoover's suggestion of using Celestia or Space Engine to find stars nearby and their properties. :)

Here are some map screenshots from Space Engine (catalog stars only), centered on Kepler-186.

Nearest 20pc
Nearest 50pc
Nearest 100pc

You have to go out about 50pc to start finding many stars with interesting names.  The rest are all Hipparcos or other Kepler Object of Interest stars.

Thank you. I think I have enough resources now.