Author Topic: Things you want to know about BWO but were afraid to ask  (Read 169038 times)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Re: Things you want to know about BWO but were afraid to ask
Not wanting to bash or start a flame war against those campaigns, but we aspire to do much more than that.

I'm having the pleasure of working with the greatest minds when it comes to Freespace modding and they, like me, wont top until the product reaches their own expectations, which is making the most professional looking and up to date mods you will ever see for Freespace.

For us it ain't enough good missions and story, we aspire greater things :) 
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well, Voice acting + HTL will change a campaign with a good story from "epic" to "F'ing Epic"
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Just one thing: a real professional FS campaign maker knows that the spelling of FreeSpace is with a capital S. :p

Up to date always changes and that means it will never reach up to date since it always changes. You would all be trying to improve the models over and over again but would never release because each time you improve the models to be so called up to date, what would be up to date would be considered to have changed and then the release would be delayed again to try to make it up to date again and the cycle would continue forever and never be released if you are all focused on having the best up to date look and just don't release it the way it is and make a patch for it later. Mobius and ShadowGorrath have a point and I agree with that.

Eh, I don't really agree with that. Freespace isn't progressing at leaps and bounds. Simply there's retail-quality Freespace, and there's HTL-quality freespace. Their models sound like they're at retail quality, they want them HTL. Remember this project has been going for years, it's been around as long as I can remember and that's a fairly long time. It's not unreasonable for them to want to update their models to the newest quality or nearly so.

And would releasing it now be a problem? I'm sure it would with some players. How many people post threads in modding saying "oh, anyone have some new shivans? or whatever" and someone says "oh, yeah, look at these! (ie Inferno R1)" to which people reply "no, those things are old and crap. Anyone have anything HTL??". This mod has been around for ages, I'm sure a few of their models are looking a little old.

So-called feature creep can be a problem. But only if people let it become one. And I doubt that anyone, after having updated all of thier models to a new standard, will then choose to go and update all of them all over again. I sure wouldn't, I'd say "**** it, good enough" and release the bugger.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Let's keep the thread restricted to a question and answer format please.

Offline Kie99

Have you considered the possible legal ramifications of releasing as a standalone?  I'm not an expert, but assuming you use retail ships, a standalone might put you on dodgy ground legally.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Oh yeah. We decided to rage against the machine with all the substantial profits we're going to rake in from this release.

Because we're going to be billionares when this is all over.

Me? When I get rich off BWO, they won't be able to catch me anyway, because I'll be flying away from the cops with my jetpack.

Offline DREDHAWK

• If you go to Z'Ha'Dum you will die. (Kosh,Babylon5
    • Youtube Channel
Why would there be legal problems Interplay has gone under i dont now about Volition   looked like they've gone under.   There releasing the campaign for free not saleing it.  I don't see a problem
FROM FS1
When the destroyers came for us, we attacked. Never had we been defeated. They were like the others: strange, hideous, resisting, fighting. Only these were not like the others: They did not die. We made our first retreat. We could forego one system. We left it to the destroyers and went elsewhere. But they followed. They hunted us. They followed us when we retreated, discovered where we lived.
For a long time we did not know why they chased us. They were no ordinary enemy. They did not seek our territory, our technology, our resources.
Now we know our crime was sin.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Why would there be legal problems Interplay has gone under i dont now about Volition   looked like they've gone under.   There releasing the campaign for free not saleing it.  I don't see a problem
Volition haven't gone down under, they've recently done Red Faction 3,

Offline DREDHAWK

• If you go to Z'Ha'Dum you will die. (Kosh,Babylon5
    • Youtube Channel
Ok they did Saints Row i dint like that game but anyways i guess they could have some legal problem with this but since there not saleing  BWO they proble wont care.  hell there proble play FSO  right now 
FROM FS1
When the destroyers came for us, we attacked. Never had we been defeated. They were like the others: strange, hideous, resisting, fighting. Only these were not like the others: They did not die. We made our first retreat. We could forego one system. We left it to the destroyers and went elsewhere. But they followed. They hunted us. They followed us when we retreated, discovered where we lived.
For a long time we did not know why they chased us. They were no ordinary enemy. They did not seek our territory, our technology, our resources.
Now we know our crime was sin.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Nobody's suing anybody, if that was too unclear with my overtly sarcastic post. Nobody was ever sued for making a campaign, it's not going to happen, ever. The train of thought is so inane, it's making my head hurt.

And people ask me why I'm an alcoholic.

I need a drink.

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
The anticipation of BWO is raising the dinosaurs back from the dead.  We're not quite extinct, yet.
Zarathud, retired FreeSpace coordinator of the Descent Chronicles/VolitionWatch

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Zarathud... that name does ring a bell :P
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The anticipation of BWO is raising the dinosaurs back from the dead.  We're not quite extinct, yet.
How goes the The Omicron Project? :P

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Velocidinos? SPED-osauruses? Tyrannoweaselsaurus-rexes?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Yes, yes... my wit is unsurpassed.

Now, let's all steer this queer back on the BWO related topic now, shall we.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 06:47:31 am by BlackDove »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
The thread. Not you.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Will the SCP be ridiculously overpowered?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
No. They'll be balanced. They have taken a different course in the technologies they've focused on, but they will be balanced.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Kind of a stupid question considering how BWO has always put emphasis on no overpowered things.