Author Topic: Archive BWO?  (Read 6840 times)

Perhaps its time we put BWO in the 'too-hard/too ambitious/FAILED' basket and archive it.

Its fairly obvious that although hopes were high, spirits were renewed and the flame rekindled many a time, this mod will NEVER be completed.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Dear God, what have you unleashed? Are you the new FSFreak88?

At least you're going to get a title you might pick up a title.

(In case you're not aware, my understanding of the situation is that BWO has been hanging in a state of almost-complete for a while. It needs a sizable push, but it's closer to done than not-done.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:47:15 pm by General Battuta »

Dear God, what have you unleashed? Are you the new FSFreak88?

At least you're going to get a title.

(In case you're not aware, my understanding of the situation is that BWO has been hanging in a state of almost-complete for a while. It needs a sizable push, but it's closer to done than not-done.)

FSFreak88? I dont expect a title. Dude, look at the stats. The damn thing has been 'almost done' since 3 years ago. Its been 8 years in the making. 8 YEARS. Entire games dont take this long let alone mods. Only reason its been held together is because it looked so promising, but now imo its just an eyesore and a heartache of what could have been but shall never be.

I know , its the 'in our own time' thing, and 'we arent getting paid' thing will probably hit this thread, and its probably going to receive more neg feedback then people actually saying 'jeez you have a point' - but the truth needs to be told and why should people be scared to tell the truth out of fear of subjugation?

Im only trying to be helpful. If the admins and mods cant afford to complete this, why are they continuing it when they have lives to live? They should give it a military funeral, and either seal it away forever, or offer it to someone else with more time to complete.

If it were me, id do the former, as Icefire and all the originals had a thought and a dream of how they wanted it and given to someone else, it wouldnt turn out how they intended it to.

But yeah, voicing my opinion is really deserving of a title. Being honest deserves a title.

Geez why are these 'titles' so intimidating? few little words underneath your name.  :wtf:

And its certainly not deserving of a ban. Im not bagging BWO out, nor am i bagging out the admins. They tried damn hard to finish it, and BWO had alot of promise, but it just wont be done. Too little manpower, not enough time on their hands to finish it, and it was a little overambitious.

Thats NOT intended to be an insult, and if anyone perceives it as one, they're a little soft-skinned. Its just a little bit of criticism, but mostly praise for the attempt.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:43:07 pm by Vasudan Commander »

And its certainly not deserving of a ban. Im not bagging BWO out, nor am i bagging out the admins. They tried damn hard to finish it, and BWO had alot of promise, but it just wont be done. Too little manpower, not enough time on their hands to finish it, and it was a little overambitious.

Dude, BWO _IS_ done. They could probably release it tomorrow if they wanted to. But they want to add voice acting and upgrade a bunch of the models. That's all, as far as I know, from what they've said repeatedly in other threads.

Anyway, this thread'll be locked pretty soon I imagine.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You are very young at heart, it seems.

It'll be finished when it's finished, or it won't, and there's no need to go about trumpeting and making drama either way. Just take a few deep breaths, imagine what might be going on in BWO internal, and relax. You can't control what'll happen.

Just FYI, there was a guy named FSFreak88 who posted similar threads in the Silent Threat Reborn forum for a while, and ST:R is now pretty close to release.

Everyone is very wary of members who feel the need to make these kind of angsty, dramatic statements about mod projects. As I said, what will happen will happen; why worry yourself? Help if you can, support if you can't.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
:wtf:

Entire games dont take this long let alone mods.

There is no reason that mods should take less time than games.  Mods are done in spare time, no one is being paid, and there are no deadlines.  The spare time part is especially important because real liveā„¢ comes before Freespace.

Geez why are these 'titles' so intimidating? few little words underneath your name.  :wtf:

You asked for it :P
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:58:39 pm by blowfish »

In b4 lock.

Dude you need that gif of LeForge rolling under the door if you'r gonna do that.
      Like this:

EDIT - wow this thread is drawing board members like wildfire
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:56:00 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Its fairly obvious that although hopes were high, spirits were renewed and the flame rekindled many a time, this mod will NEVER be completed.

lol
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
FSFreak88? I dont expect a title. Dude, look at the stats. The damn thing has been 'almost done' since 3 years ago. Its been 8 years in the making. 8 YEARS. Entire games dont take this long let alone mods. Only reason its been held together is because it looked so promising, but now imo its just an eyesore and a heartache of what could have been but shall never be.

Procyon Insurgency. Started as a four-mission mini-campaign in 2001. Was released in 2007.

You wanna try again?

Just FYI, there was a guy named FSFreak88 who posted similar threads in the Silent Threat Reborn forum for a while, and ST:R is now pretty close to release.

Dude, BWO _IS_ done. They could probably release it tomorrow if they wanted to. But they want to add voice acting and upgrade a bunch of the models. That's all, as far as I know, from what they've said repeatedly in other threads.

This is, in fact, just what has delayed ST:R. Started 2002, will be released Christmas 2008. Another miss.

Eight years is longer than six, I'll grant you. But so long as someone is working on it, it's not dead. The project lead either has to vanish without a trace (Halo Freespace) or admit defeat (Machina Terra) for the board to be archived. I don't think you're the one to make those pronouncements.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline DREDHAWK

• If you go to Z'Ha'Dum you will die. (Kosh,Babylon5
    • Youtube Channel
Its been what 8 years since they started it might be another 8 years.  But i sure they will get it done.   But i sure hope they get it done before Dec 21 2012!!!! Dooms day Maybe maybe not well find out

They do have life they might not fell like doing anything on BWO   some people have to work 24/7 just to pay bills 
FROM FS1
When the destroyers came for us, we attacked. Never had we been defeated. They were like the others: strange, hideous, resisting, fighting. Only these were not like the others: They did not die. We made our first retreat. We could forego one system. We left it to the destroyers and went elsewhere. But they followed. They hunted us. They followed us when we retreated, discovered where we lived.
For a long time we did not know why they chased us. They were no ordinary enemy. They did not seek our territory, our technology, our resources.
Now we know our crime was sin.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Care to explain why NEVER?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Vasudan Commander: I understand that you don't like our timeline and it may even be that you're attempting to somehow convince the team to release prematurely.  Understand that such a thing will not happen.

Also understand that work is ongoing on the BWO project in several areas but we're not ready to talk about it yet.  We've asked for help in the past...we got some of it...but not allot.  The help we do have is fantastic but its a small group and everyone has lives, commitments, and so forth they must attend to first. Never ever forget that MODing is a hobby and that its one of patience.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:33:11 pm by IceFire »
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Ahahaha, I LULED.