Author Topic: uh  (Read 8185 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Whatever Goob used my name/life story for on internal, I love BWO.

Also, I heard there was some kind of crack about how BP is going to look better than BWO (as if that's a huge concern?) and you should be aware we're currently moving all the new BP effects into the MediaVPs (since BP and the MVPs share a bunch of team members) so you and every other mod can have access to them too.

I doona want Goob starting some kind of crazy mod war.

(Also, though it's just gonna add to BWO feature creep, I hope you guys can use new 3.6.12 features for your Sol fleet. Stuff like armored torpedoes and salvo or burst fire weapons are really useful for a railgun/torpedoes navy, which I think is the direction you guys went too?)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:57:42 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
My purpose wasn't to troll, it was to motivate.  That's why I posted to the internal forum. :p  And I prefaced it by saying I was channeling BlackDove, who has been known to make some particularly blunt comments in the past. :)

And the only thing I used Battuta's name for was an example of someone who went to college during the past four years; it could just as easily have been another person.

(Also, though it's just gonna add to BWO feature creep, I hope you guys can use new 3.6.12 features for your Sol fleet. Stuff like armored torpedoes and salvo or burst fire weapons are really useful for a railgun/torpedoes navy, which I think is the direction you guys went too?)
See, feature creep is something we want to avoid right now...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Okay. I just didn't want to seem like I was...venomously deriding BWO or something.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Also, I heard there was some kind of crack about how BP is going to look better than BWO

I think it's a compliment for BWO to be compared to Blue Planet. With the bunch of members BP is having, it's no wonder people start to view it as the number #1 HLP-hosted project, and as such, it's the first project that springs to mind. If that comparison method (BWO compared to BP) comes from an external viewer, it's a praise for BWO, a testimony of high expectations and that people see something wonderful behind BWO, which AFAIK has been afflicted with a huge development cycle, meaning that its assets need a lot of improvement (reminds me of MindGames).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 04:52:15 am by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
While it's always good to know the contents of our private forums are accessible to everyone, there's really no problem going on. Goob made a great point in internal, although it's a point that I've been very (painfully) aware of word for word, and have been struggling with for some time.

I am hoping to make the project resume development (as it's been at a halt for about two to three years with varying levels of next-to-no activity) one way or another in the coming July month, more on that in about a week.

I personally haven't played Blue Planet yet, but I've heard you guys have had good success with it, which I'm very glad to hear.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I heard that BWO only needs it's HTL models finished, so I hope it'll soon be reactivated and done.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Awesome, this turned out well. Whew.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Based on what I remember from testing, these are entirely unnecessary. Trust me.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Cool.

I'm still of the '**** HTL, **** voice acting, polish and release' school of thought, and while I respect the dev team I do feel that their insistence on quality might be backfiring.

Heh, from all this confusing talk, it almost sounds like there may be some sort of bridge between BWO and BP which would be cool....

Offline -Norbert-

If nothing else, they can let the Vishnans reprogramm the Sol gate, to get an inter-universal jumpnode between the two.
But joking aside I don't see any way for them to exist in the same continuity, if that's even what you meant.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I'm still of the '**** HTL, **** voice acting, polish and release' school of thought, and while I respect the dev team I do feel that their insistence on quality might be backfiring.

Teams must be well aware of their limits and be able to decide which is the best for them. It worked well for ST:R, but for projects that have been in existence for SO long like BWO it's not the optimal developmental principle.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
It's something modders get to deal with, sooner or later. Most of us would prefer brand new stuff over someone else's, no matter of the exaggerate delays that such a choice would imply.

BP's approach is much more effective: wise reskins of existing ships are well enough to group a new fleet. So yeah, if I were a BWO team member I would question the necessity of waiting for so long. It's not an offense, of course, it's just a suggestion coming from a person who made the very same mistake. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
No offense taken. You're getting your thing out, you're happy with it, your audience is happy with it, that's certainly the way to go. You make a sacrifice here or there in originality, but who cares if the project is its own entity, doing its own thing.

The problem with us isn't so much eternal development and perfection, as it is inactivity and not having an efficient structure to get help when we need it. It's that which has to be rectified, and upon properly doing that, we really shouldn't have any problems either.

Something I'll try to do.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I have a roster of reliable, talented and dependable voice actors now experienced in FreeSpace work from Blue Planet. Contact me if you want them. (By 'roster' I mean 'at least 3').

I missed out on the BP VAing by about a few weeks before i actually got a good mic to use... hope maybe one day throw my name into the mix.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I missed out on the BP VAing by about a few weeks before i actually got a good mic to use... hope maybe one day throw my name into the mix.
Voice act WiH!

Toss me a few lines so i can get a few practice runs in then!

Offline wuu

Have you guys ever thought about outsourcing. What I mean start thread like this http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=48459.0 and i am not sure, but some of the guys from Fate of the Galaxy should give a comment what kind of effect it had on their development so far ?
Der Freigeist