Author Topic: In dreamland: something I'd like to work on  (Read 11947 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: In dreamland: something I'd like to work on
The climax of the first act being this CO using a high pulse ETAK signal and detonating a star (using what appears to be a constructed device by the commander based on Knossos technology).

It took 80 Sathanases over a period of days to cause Capella to go nova. And some ship captain builds a sun-buster????
Methinks you like sun-busting far too much. Also, it's becoming a tiresome trope in sci-fi. Everyone and their grandma can blow up suns.

FS is all about executing corny scifi tropes, but doing it decently.

I actually...disagree with this. FS1, maybe.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
FS is all about executing corny scifi tropes, but doing it decently.
I actually...disagree with this. FS1, maybe.

FS1 definitely, IMO. But that's OK... nothing wrong with a good trope. :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I agree. I think FS1 and FS2 are each necessary for each other. FS1 establishes, FS2 deconstructs. Without FS2, FS1 is just another space opera; without FS1, FS2 has nothing to stand on.

Offline Luis Dias

Hmmm looking forward to know more about your adventures, tutta ;). Good luck

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Things I'd like to work on:

* A mod where at the end of AoA the shivan juggernaut fleet's purpose was to cause a huge subspace effect which shunts the 14th into a non-Braham (shivans & vishnans can't exist there) universe instead of back home. It is like an Alice Madness Returns style inspired dark wonderland. The Vishnans charge Bei with "fixing" what went wrong. He's brutally determined to make things right, and as the Orestes goes up in smoke his plan becomes impossible. He goes bat[guano] crazy and forces the traumatised 14th into beating the crap out of wonderland. The fleet gets turned into the ultimate fighting force by the absolutely screwed over conditions, wonderland allies, Bei's brutal control, Sanctuary's construction of ships from space debris and actually succeeds in defeating one of two wonderlandian factions and get banished back to their proper universe by an effort by the other. They beat the heck out of the UEF in a day (nuking Earth a couple of times tends to draw a quick surrender), fend off a whole lot of shivans and finish by destroying the Dante, causing humanity to become the next great destroyers; all part of the shivan plan for destruction to overcome preservation. Why do you think they let two equally powerful races survive unless to instate a new set of destroyers (terra) and preservers (vasuda). Wonderland looks steam punky except in space. - I've written... most of the plot for this

* Pre T-V war mod with frigate and under scale ships with contemporary guns (Autocannons, RL ship turrets, nuke cruise missiles), the bees knees of warships is a Fenris dreadnought armed with state-of-the-art Houndtooth Heavy Plasma Launchers, a rapid launch Nuclear Torpedo Battery and the new nuke: a subspace drive, which allows these efficient ships to either win an engagement or escape with impunity in a way no other ship can. I wanted to make a fenris feel like a credible threat as it once did a long, long time ago in the future. - I made a small piece of concept hull for one ship.

* Machinima using cutscenes which follows kappa wing. They get disabled in a shivan attack and all they can do is talk. You could do anything from there: A really dark look at humanity, trapped and isolated from anyone else, a humorous serial where they just chat, bicker, tell anecdotes and discuss stuff, or a dramedy somewhere between the two. - I fredded about 40 seconds of the pilot

I've been here 5 years and I still think way too big for my small, easily distracted mind and the time I have (Out of the modding stages: moddelling, Uv-ing, texturing, tabling, fredding [plotting, writing, technical proficiency], balancing, scripting and such, I've gotten slightly proficient only at modelling). Oh well, at least I've made them in dreamland.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Plus, there is no way of conventionally defeating the Shivans. So it's either a superweapon or giving them a Deathstar type weakness in Shivantown (one structural weak spot a fighter squad can blow up that destroys the whole superstructure).

You lack imagination....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Plus, there is no way of conventionally defeating the Shivans. So it's either a superweapon or giving them a Deathstar type weakness in Shivantown (one structural weak spot a fighter squad can blow up that destroys the whole superstructure).

You lack imagination....

Why destroy them at all when you can just turn them all into "Carl the Shivan Butler?" :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

You lack imagination....

Why destroy them at all when you can just turn them all into "Carl the Shivan Butler?" :D

This is like my least favorite trope in science fiction I just want you to know, I am personally opposed to it and it harms my blood pressure, thanks for killing me. There's enough money for you to buy a plane ticket to my funeral and apologize. It'll be an open casket because I look good

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

You lack imagination....

I actually mena there's more ways to fight unconventionally than just having a super-bomb.

Easy, super-end-all weapons are IMHO cheap.

Offline Lorric

There is no way to defeat the Shivans without a superweapon of some description, or the discovery of a super Shivan weakness, surely.

Since we know nothing of their motivations, we've got nothing on them for weaknesses, unless a biological weapon could be constructed.

The Shivans have almost been playing with the GTVA. Like a cat toying with a doomed mouse. They could crush the GTVA any time they wanted. A handful of juggernauts with a support fleet in tow could exterminate both races easily.

Offline qwadtep

I don't know about that. The Shivans don't know that they nearly broke the back of the GTVA with a single Sathanas--just that the GTVA is extremely hostile towards them, has bested everything the Shivans have sent at them with the Shivan's own technology, and that it took a Sathanas to even drive them out of Shivan space temporarily. They only manage to push into a single GTVA system over the entire course of FS2 and that system is playing host to a juggernaut of its own.

From what little information the Shivans have, the GTVA are a credible threat that could have another 80 Colossuses lying in wait somewhere. It's only natural that they'd send in a juggernaut fleet of their own in response. Given their 10,000-year-plus history, it's probably precisely why the Shivans have such a fleet in the first place.

They could crush the GTVA any time they wanted, yes. Playing cat and mouse with them, not so much.

Offline Vip

I don't know about that. The Shivans don't know that they nearly broke the back of the GTVA with a single Sathanas--just that the GTVA is extremely hostile towards them, has bested everything the Shivans have sent at them with the Shivan's own technology, and that it took a Sathanas to even drive them out of Shivan space temporarily. They only manage to push into a single GTVA system over the entire course of FS2 and that system is playing host to a juggernaut of its own.

From what little information the Shivans have, the GTVA are a credible threat that could have another 80 Colossuses lying in wait somewhere. It's only natural that they'd send in a juggernaut fleet of their own in response. Given their 10,000-year-plus history, it's probably precisely why the Shivans have such a fleet in the first place.

They could crush the GTVA any time they wanted, yes. Playing cat and mouse with them, not so much.

Exactly, it's like an escalation. You send a couple of cruisers, I send a destroyer. You send a few destroyers, I send a juggernaut. You send a juggernaut, I send a fleet of juggernauts. While FS1 the Shivans are very mysterious - we know virtually nothing about their motives and goals - in FS2 they aren't  the aggressor. They don't act, they react.
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
There is no way to defeat the Shivans without a superweapon of some description, or the discovery of a super Shivan weakness, surely.

I say again - you lack imagiantion. And why should a superweapon be a super-mega-bomb?

Also, defeat as in what the GTVA did in FS1 or defeat as in "utter anihilation of all and every shivan". Survival is victory. GTVA survived a shivan onslaught twice. That is a victory by any definition.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm, also, how would a Shivan view subspace corridors being blown up by Meson bombs?  How would they view our ability to turn on the Knossos (that was Bosch, but unless he squealed, they don't know, or they don't have to believe him, he said he was working on his own, yeah, ok...).

For a Shivan, perhaps blowing up a subspace corridor is the same to them as fire-bombing Tokyo was to the Japanese in WWII or something...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This is a very familiar trajectory towards thread ****tiness, people. Let's not do it again.

Offline Lorric

I say again - you lack imagiantion. And why should a superweapon be a super-mega-bomb?

Also, defeat as in what the GTVA did in FS1 or defeat as in "utter anihilation of all and every shivan". Survival is victory. GTVA survived a shivan onslaught twice. That is a victory by any definition.

That's not fair. The talk was about a total victory, not a strategic one. Keeping the Shivans away is quite possible. In fact, that is the current situation at the end of FS2. The Shivans are blocked off. Why would we talk about something that is already so?

They're blocked off from only one entry point- Capella.

The Lucy came from an unknown direction, so it's safe to assume that Capella isn't the only entrance to GTVA space.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I could PM you (you have PM's blocked)
So here's the link to the storyline:

Spoiler:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0onquiy33pirhc0

The file contains FOW2 story summary too.
Note that the file is old and some things were in question back then (like for exmaple, the Armageddon entering a node and overloading the reactors (and arming all warheads) to seal it instead of dying in a ramming manouver).

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

That's not fair. The talk was about a total victory, not a strategic one. Keeping the Shivans away is quite possible. In fact, that is the current situation at the end of FS2. The Shivans are blocked off. Why would we talk about something that is already so?

Not fair?...Fair enough.
If you wanna nitpick, then I'll just point out that you set no parameters for what constitutes as victory...or the time-frame for it.
Say the GTVA has no contact with Shivans for the next 2000 years? 5000 years? Can we take them on then, where we have 1000 super-collossusses?

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
You want to know what my real dream project is? I would like to create an original freespace mod which takes place in this setting. It is a setting I have been thinking about for awahile and at one point I wanted to become a professional developer just to see the dream of making it. (we've all been there) Well this is the thread of dreams, so I will indulge:

Distance causes problems. As a civilization expands, the time it takes information and capital to reach the outer edges increases. When the planet Earth was nearing the second millennium, technology all but solved the issues caused by distance. Air travel and wireless communication brought humanity closer than ever. Progress was fast and the next level of expansion was inevitable, expansion into space.

Colonies appeared in the obvious locations: the Earth's moon, Mars, various moons around Jupiter and Saturn. Humanity stayed comfortably within the solar boundary until more advanced terraforming methods were developed and more efficient material harvesting. With the artificial mutation of plants to be able to inhabit near intolerable conditions, less dependency was on the surface of planets and more placed on large integrated networks of floating spacecraft. These floating colonies grew less and less dependent on their distance from life giving planets and the sun itself. Colonies started to separate themselves in culture, dialect and national identity. This is all before the next level of human expansion took place.

Some colonies closely studied the orbit of nearby star systems. They saw opportunities to intercept these star systems, opportunities which would only be possible between thousands or even millions of years. The nearby planets and other celestial objects,  were studied for material content, and environment factors at long range. They found new resources, free of synthetic pollutants and best of all it didn't need to be shared.  Eventually, some colonies felt confident enough to take the leap and begin the journey to entire new star systems. These journeys, made with future generations in mind, would take hundreds of years. Though there were tragedies, many were successful.

Those that made the journeys found themselves in the midst of a terraformed paradise. They traveled to many different star systems, mostly determined by distance

This form of expansion left the once peoples of Earth isolated: delayed radio communication, no exchange of material goods and political separation. The wall of distance caused the exchange of ideas between these societies to dwindle as they became culturally separate. Over the next thousand years, the 'root' colonies which made the initial journeys to these new star systems spawned their own unique race of humans. Each race expanded further into their own star system and beyond, continuing their slow and sure cultural divide. From this point, history splits between the root colonies...

..Many years later the discovery of subspace was made on Earth, a radical invention which allowed ships to be able to travel between star systems is mere moments. An invention which would spread culture shock and so much more throughout the human inhabited galaxy.

A few things holding me back is that the ideas I have for such a mod are big in scope, roughly the size of a single blue planet installment. Something which would communicate the setting in an entertaining way with unique gameplay features and an immersive storyline. Something which would take me at least more than a year working on it, and I have been becoming increasingly more busy as the professional world tightens its grip on me. Another thing about this setting is that it has nothing to do with freespace, which I originally wanted to make a mod for when I joined HLP and as of yet have not.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.