Author Topic: Release?  (Read 9625 times)

Offline Xenon

• Did somebody order a fruit soup?
  • Administrator
I'm confused here.  Is BWO not actually released?  This was one of the campaigns I was most looking forward to back in 2001, along with United Space and Fifth Sun.  But I can find no trace of the latter two, and all I can find on BWO is a demo.  And, well, ten years of forum posts.

Did you guys pull a Duke Nukem Forever?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:55:23 pm by Xenon »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
As best as the public knows right now, the campaign was pretty much done, then they decided to upgrade all their assets, then (as you do when you decide to upgrade a huge modelpack) they died.

Whatever United Space and Fifth Sun were they either never released or never made the slightest impact.

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Fifth Sun was a strategy game that was being worked on. I did some art assets for it and it became vaporware.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
As best as the public knows right now, the campaign was pretty much done, then they decided to upgrade all their assets, then (as you do when you decide to upgrade a huge modelpack) they died.

This is false. If you had played the "campaign that was pretty much done", you'd realize that there's a lot of work to be done on that department too. I really have no idea where this notion came from (although I do know who perpetuated it), but it is completely false.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Like I said, it's the situation as the public knows it! We can't get more accurate information unless the team tells us (as you have here).

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
I may have been a bit too "aggressive" with my reply.
It's true, it's the situation as the public knows it. It should change yes, but it's out of my hands.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline CT27

There was a thread, I think in the BP forum, where there was speculation about when the next part of Blue Planet would come out.  I said, somewhat jokingly, that WIH part 3 would likely be out before BWO or chapter two of TVWP.

Someone came in and told me that while TVWP is all but dead and there's no hope for a release there...that BWO was actually very close to completion and just needed a slight amount of model work and then it could be released.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Slight amount? Well, there's one destroyer still not done (besides a single arm), and a whole lot of stuff is very unfinished, quite a few ships are missing textures. With a good, dedicated modeler this could be done soon. Without one, we're a bit screwed.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Well... You can always bake textures from existing maps or something. It's better than nothing, and tiles of course :P. As I see, the whole community faces lack of texture artists. In our current situation, we don't have big choice. Ofc. everyone wants to have cool hi-poly models with new, shiny textures, but without dedicated 2D artists like FSK, many projects have to use alternate solutions.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
...that BWO was actually very close to completion and just needed a slight amount of model work and then it could be released.

Not true. There's so much more that needs to be done on the mission side of things.

Well... You can always bake textures from existing maps or something. It's better than nothing, and tiles of course :P. As I see, the whole community faces lack of texture artists. In our current situation, we don't have big choice. Ofc. everyone wants to have cool hi-poly models with new, shiny textures, but without dedicated 2D artists like FSK, many projects have to use alternate solutions.

I don't think that textures are that hard to do.  I can handle anything 2048*2048 and below very well, but unfortunately, don't have a good enough rig to handle bigger ones.
On the models part of things, the problems are:
1. my perfectionism :P 2. lack of time (for intance, this year I didn't dedicate too much time to BWO).

Then again, even with the models done, there's still the missions to finish.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:04:04 am by Raven2001 »

Raven is a god.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There's so much more that needs to be done on the mission side of things.

I would dispute that.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
There's so much more that needs to be done on the mission side of things.

I would dispute that.
I wouldn't, as I have actually seen them. Campaign is outlined. Gameplay is not presents. Dialogs are awful.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I have actually seen the missions as well.

Offline CT27

Not true. There's so much more that needs to be done on the mission side of things.

I didn't know that, I was just going by what I heard on this forum.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
I would dispute that.

I know you would. And I'm not going to have this chat again.

Raven is a god.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I'll see about having an announcement regarding BWO in early June if possible.

Offline CT27

How's this going?

Offline Genoism

• WIP FS3

How's this going?

He didn't mean for this year, duhh :D
After much debate I decided quotes are a waste of time.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Hold on a bit longer, there's a talk in internal about it.

Raven is a god.