after the FreeSpace 2 Main Campaign there is a complete new version with a new campaign
. This time you can play the three mission FreeSpace 2: Demo Campaign in three languages at least
. So i am presenting Version 0.5
Spanish & Japanese is listed as "partially" in the translation table for this campaign because the first of the three missions is mostly translated, as it uses strings from FreeSpace 2 Main Campaign.What is new in Version 0.5?
• SM3-02 caused a crash with the French language setting in Version 0.4.X.
• The Iceni was not present in SM3-03 due to a wrong Arrival Cue that activated itself in the resave of the mission for NTP translation.
• Added the FreeSpace 2: Demo Campaign. -> Campaign complete!
• This campaign take place between 13th June 2367 through 22th June 2367. (Or 3rd Paoni 7859 to 12th Paoni 7859 in vasudan calendar)
• Added the Voice Files for the Demo Missions.
• Added a nameplate for the GTC Adamant.
What NTP stands for?
No idea, it never got an official full title. Feel free to call it how you like. How sounds New Thoughts Process
to you?The original name was simple "Novachen's Translation Project"... lame, i know.What is NTP?
NTP is actually an effort to create a translation library for FreeSpace campaigns.
To be more precise, the goal is, that every FreeSpace campaign can be fully translated into several languages with the use of only few files.
The idea actually goes back to one of the first drafts of my FreiRaum translation project, that could not be realized due to the string id limit in the tstrings.tbl back then.
For differentiation to this draft is, that FreiRaum only had its focus on the german language, but not for the other ones.
However especially thanks to m!m i was able to request and to include some localization features, which also include the deactivation of the string limit at all. Now it is possible to bring most text of all mods into one string file.
In the end, i try to offer a much better structure for translation efforts with NTP, as the main task is the creation of unique id ranges for the individual mods.
For that i edit the tables and mission files of the mods to add the right string id into them. To make that even more easy, it would be my wish, that these changed tables and mission files are taken over into official releases of the mod if the mod is still be maintained.
(Even i fear that this one is very unlikely to happen in some cases, as I am not very appreciated as a person here.)
The best case would be, that NTP offer only a single (t)strings.tbl to download which contain all correct string entries, that people can easily translate into their prefered language.
Of course, that will be not be the case. Not only because of the countless mods that are not maintained anymore, where i am forced to offer the whole mod, but also because of some files that need to be language specific (HUD graphics are a good example for them, as some translated text does not fit into the boxes)
So i will offer Translation Templates for some mods later people can use to play a mod in english or to use that for translation.
For the translation i make use of many annoted sections in the translation table, to make it as easy understandable as possible for people other than myself.
As i am using NTP for my own german translation that is nearly developed simultaneously, i make sure, that these templates provide all strings and also files that have to be translateable.What are the Contents of NTP Version 0.5?
• Full translateable Menus and Tables.
• Full translateable FreeSpace 2 Main campaign.
• Subtitle files for all ten Cutscenes.
• Full translateable FreeSpace 2: Demo campaign.Which languages are included next to English?
by Achille44 by Novachen by Komet & Nikogori1 2 by Alex Navarro1 2
|Non-mission specific text|
|FreeSpace 2 Campaign|
|FreeSpace 2: Demo Campaign|
✅ - Fully translated
☑️ - Partially translated
❌ - Untranslated
1 - An older translation, that was fixed and adapted to NTP by myself. As i am not a native speaker, there are maybe some inaccurate translations of some text i translated myself. My translations were created solely through dictionaries.
2 - This language does not have a currently active translator.
What is different to the original FreeSpace 2?
• I splitted up three training messages (and their voice files) into two individual messages each, as even the original messages were already too long to be displayed in the training message gauge.
• Fixed the formatting in Command- aswell Debriefings. In the command briefings FreeSpace2 used the wrong color code, so that it was not visible. And debriefings did not have any color formatting whatsoever.
• Date and Location Information were added into the first CBrief Page.
What problems are still present?
• Even i have included string ids for wing names and jump nodes, there are not usable in-mission. They are used in briefings etc. however. But are primarly there to be properly used later, hopefully.
• Due to engine-restrictions, i can not offer an All-in-One package unfortunately.
• The NTP lacks language specific hud_gauges and coordinates for the context sensitive help system because of this also.
• There is an error message at the start of the game if you play it with the japanese translation. As far as i can tell, it is about too long japanese text, that is displayed correctly however. So i will not fix this.
Other translation related stuff
• The newest version of my small Language Selector is included, which offers an german and english speaking user interface. It was expanded, so that Spanish and Japanese can be selected, now. Also i changed many in the execution of the program so that the Save- and Load Feature is not necessary anymore. However, this one does not support Portable Mode. If you use Portable Mode, you have to edit the "Language" entry in the fs2_open.ini in the game folder by yourself.
For the current release, following languages are officially supported by NTP and so can be entered as a value in the beforementioned Language Entry: "French", "German", "Japanese" & "Spanish".
NTP Root (Version 0.5) (6.54 MB) - Includes the Core files that were prepared for NTP so far. The Language Selector is also included.
LANGUAGE ADDON PACKAGES
Only one of these packages can be used simultaneously.
NTP EFGIS Package (Version 0.5) (483.17 KB) - EFGIS stands for English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. This package includes so far the English, French, German and Spanish files, aswell all settings that are needed for most other Latin-based languages.
NTP JP Package (Version 0.5) (3.39 MB) - This package includes the Japanese translation aswell all settings and the font that is needed for that.
NTP Developer Package (Version 0.5) (395.41 MB) - This Package actually includes all of the above, next to some tools that can help in creation of own translations and a Read Me Document. Next to ntp_root.vp and ntp_voice.vp all translation related files are extracted in subfolders for the different languages. With this package i try to offer the possibilty that you can create own translations as fast and as easy as possible. Of course it can also be used to fix or to expand already available languages aswell .
If you are developing or expanding a translation, i would like that you share your results, so that your development can be integrated here .
• FS2_Open 21.1.0 Nightly from 28th January 2021 or newer.
• MediaVPs 4.4.1 in a Folder called MediaVPs_44X.
• MjnMixael's HD Mainhalls 1.4.3 in a Folder called MjnMHs (alternatively they can be installed into the MediaVPs_44X folder aswell).
Extract the archives into the FreeSpace2 folder and use your Launcher of choice to launch the game. The language selector is available in its own folder and should be self-explanatory as it offer a German and English speaking interface.
Alternatively, all packages are also available on Knossos aswell.
Tags: Deutsch Française Española 日本人 FreeSpace Deutsch FreeSpace German FreeSpace French FreeSpace Française FreeSpace Spanish FreeSpace Española FreeSpace Japanese FreeSpace 日本人 Translation Deutsche Übersetzung Traduction Française Traducción Española 日本語訳 Deutsches Sprachpaket Paquet de langue française Paquete de idioma español 日本語パック FreeSpace 2 Deutsch Mod