Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918314 times)

Offline qwadtep

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
As I interpreted it:

Hydura Station reports vampires, six by twenty: SSM alert, 120 inbound.
Knives out, spades out...vampires, five by twenty, ten seconds: Point defense and countermeasures activate, destroy 20 SSMs. Ten seconds to impact.
...foaming...: Active armor. Failing that, a generic curse.
vampires, five seconds. This is Hydura Station, signing off -: Kabloom.

Thank you for the answer. :)

I've never read Eon, however, Greg Bear is well known author among Japanese sci-fi fans. Maybe I can find a copy of the book at city library.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4150107262

I love the story of the Blue Planet. It is not easy for me to understand though. Somehow it reminds me of Susumu Hirasawa's song called Ride the Blue Limbo.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
As I interpreted it:

Hydura Station reports vampires, six by twenty: SSM alert, 120 inbound.
Knives out, spades out...vampires, five by twenty, ten seconds: Point defense and countermeasures activate, destroy 20 SSMs. Ten seconds to impact.
...foaming...: Active armor. Failing that, a generic curse.
vampires, five seconds. This is Hydura Station, signing off -: Kabloom.

Smoke is flare countermeasures I'm pretty sure, I have no idea about spades or knives.

Offline Scani

Hi everyone.
I've finally found some time to return to FreeSpace and play a long anticipated act 3 of WIH.

But before I start I have few questions:
1. Does it work with mediavps 2014, or should I download older version?
2. I can see that the newest nightly build has higher revision number than recomended BP build, and all recent updates were to match trunk revisions. Does WIH work with current nightly builds?
3. I can see a link to the patch in The Blue Planet build repository topic. Do I need it when I download the most recent build?

I can't wait to play this game, but since I was absent from Freespace world for quite a while, I also want to experience it with all bells and whistles. :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:38:19 am by Scani »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You're safest with MediaVPs_3612. It might work with 2014, but we're not totally sure yet (nobody has performed a rigorous run through to check).

You must use the most recent BP build if you are NOT using the compatibility pack. You can use the most recent nightly build if you ARE USING the compatibility pack.

The patch file is for coders, don't worry about it.

Offline Scani

Thanks a lot :)

I assume that compatibility pack removes some features from BP, so it's better to use BP build for full experience, right?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The compatibility pack turns off some experimental deferred lighting features that come with a significant performance cost (for me, at least). I don't think they're a vital part of the experience, but it's your call.

I just played through Universal Truth after many months and I came across something that may not have much significance, but I'm curious to know anyway: will we find out how the GTVA discovered the Vishnans in the last two acts of WiH?

Offline Aesaar

We know how the GTVA discovered the Vishnans.  It happened in AoA.  You were there.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
But MORPHEUS predated the events of AoA.

We know how the GTVA discovered the Vishnans.  It happened in AoA.  You were there.

That was Bei and the 14th Battlegroup. The higher ranked people like Admiral Bei must have been aware that Vishnans existed long before they saw them in AoA.

Spoiler:
Isn't this one (if not the only) reason why the GTVA is fighting the UEF? We find out that the Elders have been in contact with the Vishnans for many years, and that they are, along with Bei, "instruments" of the Vishnans. 

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Yeah, GTVA command knew about the Vishnans beforehand. Same as with the GTA knowing about the Shivans before the Great War.
They probably ventured to the Vishnaland portal in the main 'V'erse, found them, classified all of the details about the encounter and drew the first Morpheus drafts once they realized what they were dealing with. Or something else. :P

Point is, they knew about the Vishnans already.

Offline crizza

Was the Uhlan in any way inspired by the human fighters from Space: Above and Beyond?
If I remember correctly, the Zod standard fighter in FS1 was inspired by the Chig fighter.

But MORPHEUS predated the events of AoA.

I can believe that it was enacted as a contingency for Shivan interference through Nagari (which the GTVA would have probably known of from Bosch and ETAK, combined with whatever intelligence from the Great War was left on the other side of the node). They then began suspecting foreign Nagari influence when preliminary intelligence from Sol came through, then when the 14th came back it became clear that this was coming from an entirely new faction.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Nyarly

• Generic basement-dweller
So yeah, I noticed fairly early in WiH that one of the (many) names on the UEF MIA/KIA rolls was one Tyra "Crash" Somethingblahblah.

Hahahaha!

IS THAT A BATTLETECH REFERENCE, BATTUTA?
Do not taunt Magic Boulder.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Holy ****, I can't believe anybody caught that.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Seeing is believing ;)
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Dawn War? Plans that are billions of years old? Preservation and destruction as a deal and a pact?

I wonder what kind of revelations will wait for us in the deepest, coldest space.

Hopefully not brane-jumping shadows, garden bubble nanobots or random reset-buttons that are introduced in the last mission :v
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:59:00 pm by Janos »
lol wtf

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Dawn War? Plans that are billions of years old? Preservation and destruction as a deal?

I wonder what kind of revelations will wait for us in the deepest, coldest space

I really struggled with that ****ing name so people wouldn't be like 'oh it's Revelation Space' so I swapped to 'Morning War' and then that was in Mass Effect and I think I tried something else but the Xeelee books had used it so I said '**** it' and now it's a TRIBUTE

The overall direction of things isn't super Revelation Space, though, and everything went ****ty after Redemption Ark anyway. You do point out some interesting similarities but I think they're more cases of convergence or consonance.

e: haha exactly

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I've not played act three... Yet. But wondered who the first uef. Gtva contact was between...
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png