Author Topic: Hi-poly Karnak  (Read 40770 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
OK, thanks Herra. I'm glad you have that attention to detail. :)

I tend not to use Height maps, except as bumpmaps to generate normal maps. I made them so I figured there's nothing wrong with throwing them into the mix for whoever wants to turn them on. And as far as the env mapping goes, I've never tried the 'use alpha for spec' feature. I have to try it for testing, from now on.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Ca c'est belle.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
nice...  but what about the 4 other pylons? shouldn't they also have docking points?

jup the orginal had 6 docking points...

BTW is this just me or why has the HTL karnak no fighter bays (to launch wings and stuff) in FRED?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
The Karnak is... well, not as good as I would like right now, but I'm too frustrated. I'm not converting anything more complex than a missile until we get Collada to POF support implemented.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Can't you make a multiplayer mission using this new Karnak?
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Sure you can. Why don't you?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
nice...  but what about the 4 other pylons? shouldn't they also have docking points?

jup the orginal had 6 docking points...

BTW is this just me or why has the HTL karnak no fighter bays (to launch wings and stuff) in FRED?
Can't you just add them in PCS2? It only takes a few minutes.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Can't you just add them in PCS2? It only takes a few minutes.

'cause I don't have PCS2? 'cause I have no time?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Sure you can. Why don't you?

Thanks.....but I'm not much of a Fredder...   :doubt:
What's up?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Thanks.....but I'm not much of a Fredder...   :doubt:

Well, I find the best way to learn FS modding is just by trial and error.  If you don't give up, you'd be surprised what you can achieve.  I can't run FRED, but that hasn't stopped me from trying to FRED (TextEdit FTW! :D)

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Okie dokie....I guess...    :P
What's up?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Well, I find the best way to learn FS modding is just by trial and error.  If you don't give up, you'd be surprised what you can achieve.  I can't run FRED, but that hasn't stopped me from trying to FRED (TextEdit FTW! :D)

I agree with blowfish. FREDding may not sound easy, and it isn't, but when you give it a try, you may find that you like doing it. I tried it, and I was interested enough to FRED two mostly-complete missions. I pale in comparison to modders like Woomeister, Goober5000 and GalacticEmperor; they've done A LOT for the SCP project, doing things like making mods such as Inferno Release 1, the FreeSpace Port, and re-touching the PVI Karnak. ;)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Galemp has done a lot more than just retouching the Karnak...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Galemp has done a lot more than just retouching the Karnak...

I know. :)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
And while Woo has done a lot, there are a lot of other teams that've done a lot more.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
And while Woo has done a lot, there are a lot of other teams that've done a lot more.
You have to give Woo a lot of credit for converting quite a few mods in the early days. He's not as active now as he was then but he used to make new models and convert them. Like quite a few of the original INFR1 things were his.

Looks great  ;7

I do have a question: Is the Karnak considered cannon?  I never recall seeing it in the tech room until I downloaded FS1 conversion.  Regardless, a great addition  :D

Looks great  ;7

I do have a question: Is the Karnak considered cannon?  I never recall seeing it in the tech room until I downloaded FS1 conversion.  Regardless, a great addition  :D

Completely non-canon.
But one of the first models put out I think, or at least it dates back from way back when so people tend to have a bit higher regard for it. That and the fact that few people bother making Vasudan ships, let alone Vasudan spacestations. (only 2 in existence that I'm aware of, and one of them ain't that pretty imo).

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The Karnak is the prettier of the two. The GVI Cairo is...let me say...ugly.
But really, the Karnak should have beam cannons or something :P (in FS2 Era) What else is it using that massive reactor for?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
The Karnak is the prettier of the two. The GVI Cairo is...let me say...ugly.
But really, the Karnak should have beam cannons or something :P (in FS2 Era) What else is it using that massive reactor for?

Perhaps lighting and blobs....Yeah...what if two Karnaks were made, FS and FS2 era types...with the upgraded Karnak possessing beam cannons and flak.  :D
What's up?