Author Topic: Why is Donkey Kong called Donkey Kong?  (Read 7669 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Why is Donkey Kong called Donkey Kong?
Did I miss the donkeys?  :confused:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Why is Donkey Kong called Donkey Kong?
IIRC It was called 'Monkey King', but there were copyright problems because of 'King Kong', and the outcome, for some unfathomable reason, was 'Donkey Kong'.

Something like that anyway...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
In the original Japanese they use a word that connotes great strength and fortitude. That was translated as 'donkey' as in a very strong animal .
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/donkeykong.asp

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/186158

My take on it is...............Because japanese happy funny time translation is good !

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Mr. Miyamoto was looking through a thesaurus for synonyms for "Stubborn Gorilla". He came up with "Donkey Kong".

And in fact there was a legal battle with Universal Studios: they sued Nintendo because they were at the time making a King Kong movie (this was after the game Donkey Kong was released). Nintendo won, though.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Stubborn as a mule, mule->donkey (semantics i know) add a Kong to it. plus it's got a ring to it :D

What would you guys call Monkey character?

Little tit-bit of info for ya, the only reason mario wears a hat, is because 8-bit an dpre 8-bit systems didn't have the resolution to produce hair to Miyamotos standard.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
"ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!"  ;7

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Little tit-bit of info...

"Tid-bit", you mean? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
When Deckers concerned, assume nothing ;)

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Nuff said. (If you're out looking for more engrish, shall we say, mishaps, don't overlook the Shining Force-series. It's common knowledge that Final Fantasy 7 went really very funny on occasion, but SF has a few surprises in store.)
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Little tit-bit of info...

"Tid-bit", you mean? ;)

I dunno what Tids are :p

Shinig force = Awesome :yes: begin the ritual known as "COUNTDOWN" the bomb-god shall awaken!!
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Why are Mario and Luigi called Mario and Luigi?

I mean why would Japanese game developers base one of the most successful series ever on two Italians? Wasn't Pac Man enough(it was inspired by a pizza)? :wtf:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Well, Mario was named after Nintendo of America's first landlord (before that he was "Jumpman").

Luigi is just an Italian name to go along with Mario.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Meh...they could have chosen two Japanese names... :doubt:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yes, because an Italian plumber with a Japanese name makes perfect sense.

I think what happened is they designed his appearance before deciding on a name, so they had to choose a name that fit his appearance.

His appearance was dictated by graphical limitations. Overalls because it made it easier to animate arms moving. A hat because hair is tricky on 8-bit systems. A moustache because a mouth is also difficult. All this adds up to a carpenter, which was changed to plumber when Mario Bros. came out in arcades (which took place in the sewers, rather than a construction site), and I guess the moustache in particular they thought an Italian look; therefore, Italian name.

Also, another naming oddity: they are referred to as the "Mario Bros.", which implies that it is their last name that is Mario... and indeed, their official full names are "Mario Mario" and "Luigi Mario".

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started

Use a Japanese plumber?

Also, another naming oddity: they are referred to as the "Mario Bros.", which implies that it is their last name that is Mario... and indeed, their official full names are "Mario Mario" and "Luigi Mario".

Yeah, I know it...it's so odd :wtf:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Use a Japanese plumber?

Yeah, I know it...it's so odd :wtf:

It depends really... it's not uncommon for Italian people to have identical First and Last names. Very few ones, but there are some :)
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline Inquisitor

I worked with a William Williams.
No signature.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
It depends really... it's not uncommon for Italian people to have identical First and Last names. Very few ones, but there are some :)

Similar, yeah...but identical? I recall a Guido Guidi, just to give an example, but Mario Mario is exaggerately odd...
The Lightblue Ribbon