Author Topic: TBP 3.7.3 Released  (Read 29085 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I too seem to remember them as being a bit more of a laterally-stretched diamond shape, rather than the all-right-angles one.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Some of that is persepective as you are looking through the jump gate ... but the video evidence actually shows that the top and lower pylons have a wider angles between the solar panels...

See 1:20+ here:

... which if I observe that correctly makes the "newer"/EA jumpgate based on a eliptical shape which is a larger version of the jump points elipse.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but unlike the show the jump points in TBP are circular not eliptical - so it makes sense of the jump gate to be based of a cricle as well.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:00:19 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline 0rph3u5

Also, at least in Thirdspace there is a mention that jumpgates can be reconfigured by moving the pylons
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

The only special variant I remember was one with 3 pylons... but it's been a while since I watched the show.

Here are some more pictures: https://babylon5.fandom.com/wiki/Jumpgate

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
Here are the main differences.
Ingame model / Render model from the show.

If everyone agrees, I can make the model looks like the show. I can also modified the jump point to look more like the show too, with a wider angle like we see in the image.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:28:44 pm by emi_100 »
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline wesp5

If everyone agrees, I can make the model looks like the show.

I don't think these are crtitical, but do it if you like. Also I think the Narn jumpgates had only three pylons, maybe they build cheaper versions? BTW, I believe the Vorlons build the first jumpgates and teached the younger races how to make ones themselves, to bring order into the galaxy. Because every First Ones race showed their own way to enter hyperspace and only the Vorlons use exactly the same way as in the jumpgates! This is no coincidence and these details made Babylon 5 so cool :).

I can also modified the jump point to look more like the show too, with a wider angle like we see in the image.

If you are working on this, can you make it that the light flash is more similar to the show? Like it flashes once, when the point opens, then turns dark and then flashes again for each ship coming through? And maybe make it so it seems as if the ships appears far away in one go, not cutting through the point graphics? Probably not, but asking is cheap ;)...

I think the special arrival effect could partially be scripted in LUA but that would probably require external help.

Offline 0rph3u5

Here are the main differences.
Ingame model / Render model from the show.

If everyone agrees, I can make the model looks like the show. I can also modified the jump point to look more like the show too, with a wider angle like we see in the image.

I think the whole "show acurate" vs "game acurate" would be a reason why there is an entry for the individual pylons as well as the complete jumgate set as a single object (speculation, was before my time). If there is still room in ships.tbl adding another variation on the model wouldn't be too hard.

ps. there is also the reason to use the individual pylons as something else, but thats another matter

==================

Offline emi_100

could be nice to update the main model without breakinging anything. Like the starfury and EA freighter were updated with high poly models.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 08:21:17 pm by emi_100 »
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

• "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
For my part, I wouldn't mind at all if the jump gates in-game had an appearance closer to that of the TV show. If that can be accomplished without breaking anything, I'm all for it.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline den5

maybe it help

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The problem is that we'd need an SCP coder to tinker with the code to also make the warp effect correct. I don't know how hard that would be, it might be 30 seconds in the code or it might be impossible. I tend to avoid graphics coding so I don't know how that part of the code works at all.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline emi_100

...This is no coincidence and these details made Babylon 5 so cool :).
Agree!

If you are working on this, can you make it that the light flash is more similar to the show? Like it flashes once, when the point opens, then turns dark and then flashes again for each ship coming through? And maybe make it so it seems as if the ships appears far away in one go, not cutting through the point graphics? Probably not, but asking is cheap ;)...
The problem is that we'd need an SCP coder to tinker with the code to also make the warp effect correct. I don't know how hard that would be, it might be 30 seconds in the code or it might be impossible. I tend to avoid graphics coding so I don't know how that part of the code works at all.
I'm not a coder, so I can't help with that, sorry.

For my part, I wouldn't mind at all if the jump gates in-game had an appearance closer to that of the TV show. If that can be accomplished without breaking anything, I'm all for it.
Wow! this is really helpful, I can figure out the right angle with that image.
Can I ask where did you get that? One is from the Security Manual, and the other? from B5 Scrolls maybe? Thank you :)
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
den5 posted those images, not me, but yeah, I'm curious to know where they came from also. I suspect the second image likely came from one of the B5 RPG books judging by its layout. (Damn, the jumpgate struts are almost two klicks long? But then again, we only ever see them end-on in the show.)
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline den5

Wow! this is really helpful, I can figure out the right angle with that image.
Can I ask where did you get that? One is from the Security Manual, and the other? from B5 Scrolls maybe? Thank you :)
I'm afraid I can't help. Can't recall where I got them. These images have stored on my hard drive about five years. Maybe the second image from here https://www.facebook.com/B5Scrolls, although I can't find it there anymore.

Just put them into reverse image search.

The screencap of the Jumpgate model is from the "History of Lightwave" section of the on-line manual. https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/appendices/lightwave-3d-resources/lightwave-history

There are other screencaps of Babylon 5 models on that page, but I believe the Jumpgate is the only screen-used one, I think the others are fan models.

Hi folks,

I installed Babylon Project via Knossos 0.14.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 64bit. Compared with wxlauncher in the past I am running into these problems

https://fsnebula.org/log/5ed219cbcb0d3321b0c98668

Ideas?

Offline wesp5

I don't know much about the table format, but the double ." at end looks bad. Try to change the line to look like this:

1402, "Sie haben IPX-Protokoll als Protokoll ausgewählt, aber dieses Protokoll ist auf Ihrer Maschine nicht installiert."

Offline 0rph3u5

Hi folks,

I installed Babylon Project via Knossos 0.14.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 64bit. Compared with wxlauncher in the past I am running into these problems

https://fsnebula.org/log/5ed219cbcb0d3321b0c98668

Ideas?

Looks like a broken string in the localisation files (line 4226 is in the section for German of the strings.tbl and the log tells me that's what you have FSO set to).

Can you go to your the Audio Settings in Knossos and set it to English and try again?

I will, in the meantime, run down the problem on the dev side of things and check if something similar is elsewhere.

==================