Author Topic: Imperial II-class Star Destroyer Reborn  (Read 174942 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Imperial II-class Star Destroyer Reborn
Yeah the -fov of .75 is way too high, we'll probably try to default it to .5 or .4.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Cool beans.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Very wide default field of view is one reason. Other is lack of detail. When there's no reference for size, judging distances becomes really difficult. Your speed is also not that apparent and that causes a certain sort of blindness to the massiveness of the ships.

New models of Orion, Hecate, Aeolus, Levy, Deimos etc. feel a lot bigger than the original models such as Hatshepsut, Colossus, Sathanas even. And one thing the models in this TC won't be lacking is detail... so when you are close to the ship the amount of detail should fairly well. And changing the field of view is one thing, but when the cockpits are going to be put into the game, there will be an absolute and desperate need for user-adjustable, in-game controllable field of view instead of the static setting by command line.

Without that, there is not much sense in cockpits at all, because to have useful field of view for aiming and firing your weapons, you will see very little of the cockpit around you...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
TrackIR support added 6DOF didn't it?  Or just 4?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Cole, can you link to that instead of posting it in-line? Some of us still want to play. Thanks.

And BTW, a Deimos is as long as the Empire State Building is tall.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Cole, can you link to that instead of posting it in-line? Some of us still want to play. Thanks.

Yeah seconded.

And yeah, TrackIR has 6DOF in FSO.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Link what?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Never mind, I fixed it
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Holy crap! Now that scale actually looks realistic! Wouldn't want to go up against that without my squad. Puts XWA to shame.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Actually, XWA had the star destroyer at 3200m long.  It was the lack of detail and wide FOV that killed the sense of scale
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

And BTW, a Deimos is as long as the Empire State Building is tall.

Deimos is way longer, even with the spire on the ESB. 450 odd for the building, 700+ for the deimos.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Who said anything about 8km?  The Executor is 19km.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Super-class_Star_Destroyer
I used this and XWA as reference.
I always though 8km is quite enough for SSD ,not to mention it shouldn't be bigger than Emperor's flagship.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eclipse-class_Star_Dreadnaught

We have 20km ships anyway ( I can point out three: TSJ Icanus ,SSJ Gigas and GVSJ Sehat-thor ).
And don't forget about 40km beasts featured in TBP.

Offline aRaven

XWA ISD I and II were 2km long. The XWAU ISDs are the correct 1,6km size

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Every possible angle on Executor length examined to death:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ssd.html#size

The conclusion:
If the star destroyer length is accepted as 1.6km then the Executor's length is given by the length ratios between the two ships. Observations from scenes in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi where one ship occludes another constrain the length ratio to be within the range of 11.0 to 12.0, corresponding to an absolute range of 17.6km to 19.2km. Measurements based on the collision between Executor and Death Star II are inconclusive, because the curvature of the battle station's horizon cannot be measured with sufficient precision. A chain of geometric reasoning involving two independent Executor broadside views and the size of the sensor globes indicates lower limits of 16.2km and 18.1km. The conventions of the construction of warship models indicate a length of close to 17.2km. Direct measurements of the Executor model using the standard KDY command tower as a yardstick indicate a length of 17.6±0.2km, which is consistent with the photogrammetric methods and other approaches. I conclude that Executor-class command ships are somewhere between 17.4km and 17.9km long; and certainly much more than the mere 8km claimed by some Roleplaying Game sources.

Offline Revan

• Sith Master
Who said anything about 8km?  The Executor is 19km.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Super-class_Star_Destroyer
I used this and XWA as reference.
I always though 8km is quite enough for SSD ,not to mention it shouldn't be bigger than Emperor's flagship.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eclipse-class_Star_Dreadnaught
Once in Roleplaybooks the Executer was 8km. Then they noticed that the SSD inMovie is even larger, it became 12,8 km. But that wasn't enogh, so it became 19km. Look at Starwars.com, that offical.

The 19km Executer isn't bigger then the Eclipse. Its larger. ;) The Eclipse' Hull is verry high. So you can say that the Eclipse is the bigger ship. :D

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Heh great work brand.  Its always a laugh looking at ISD greebles and trying to figure out what battleship model they came from :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I would go for 17.4km if I must abandon 8km conception (which makes more sence than all others).
And if I were an Emperor I would order the builders to make Eclipse the largest battleship in the universe ,regardless of the side from which it's viewed.  :)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah actually I forget why I put 19 on the website, we'll probably go with the smallest likely correct figure we can get away with.  17.4 is what it will likely end up as, should someone ever decide to model that graebled beast.

Offline darkone

• Space Sims will NEVER DIE
    • Space Sim Central
Can't wait to see this model once all the textures have been applied great work so far.

Yeah actually I forget why I put 19 on the website, we'll probably go with the smallest likely correct figure we can get away with.  17.4 is what it will likely end up as, should someone ever decide to model that graebled beast.
I thought it was 17.6?

Actually, XWA had the star destroyer at 3200m long.  It was the lack of detail and wide FOV that killed the sense of scale
Really, the FOV? Any idea what it's set at then? Also, I play with the XWAU. Haven't played vanilla in years.