Author Topic: The sun sets in a blaze of three red lights, forever blinking  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
The sun sets in a blaze of three red lights, forever blinking
My strength, my vision, my eternal survivor. For three long years, you have borne witness to so much. You have seen the salvation of entire races, and the deaths of countless thousands. You have plunged the depths of outer space, and probed the corners of cyberspace. For these long years, you have seen visions of glorious salvation, and unspeakable evil. These are the gifts for which you provided, asking none in return.

Through it all, you remained whole. Impervious. Stalwart in your infinitely complex design. Though you were of but the earliest construction, and contained within you so much pervasive weakness, you faltered not an inch. Your heart of green, I believed you to be immortal.

Alas, your life is at a twilight. As the setting sun blazes, so too does your thrice red heart. Forever blinking. You shall see no more battles, no more quests. Where once adventurers sought and conquerors plundered, there is now only silence. Darkness, marked only by your blinking heart. Forever blinking. Forever blinking.

Well, there you go. My old, reliable 360, almost three years old, just up and got bricked. Right as Fable 2 was getting interesting, too. Wanker. Anyway, I have to say that Microsoft customer support is actually pretty damn good. They sorted me out, got my details, and sent me instructions on getting it sent it to be repaired without any fuss at all. Free, too! Class act. Hopefully i'll be back up and running in a matter of weeks. Anyone else had 360 issues? I've got to admit, I must be in the vast minority with a very first gen system and only now have my first RRoD.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: The sun sets in a blaze of three red lights, forever blinking
Had one here, too, earlier this year. Sent it in for repairs, got it back in about two weeks.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
thinking that the first 360s exploded...  ;)    you are lucky :yes:
Still, both support divisions of Microsoft and Sony are pretty generous these days.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I still haven't got my 360 fixed yet.  :(

And before you tell me what to do, I don't live in the US. And Internet service here is crap...

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam

And before you tell me what to do, I don't live in the US. And Internet service here is crap...

I thought the 360 had to have all four lights blinking red before it was fubared? I have had the three flashing lights blink, I left it for half an hour and tried it again andon it came with no problems, I thought it was some kind of overheating issue? Granted the thing may be on it's way out, but it is working for now!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Davros

That is the pc gaming gods punishing you
rejoice in the fact you will no longer have to deal with the evilness that is console gaming

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
He obviously has a computer as well...

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR

I thought the 360 had to have all four lights blinking red before it was fubared? I have had the three flashing lights blink, I left it for half an hour and tried it again andon it came with no problems, I thought it was some kind of overheating issue? Granted the thing may be on it's way out, but it is working for now!
I think 4 lights is .... less severe.

Count yourself as lucky, but you'll have to send it in sooner or later. =/

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
He obviously has a computer as well...

All the more reason for punishment then, surely? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
I play the best games on the PC, I play the latest games on the XBox 360. I play on the PC far more however!  :P

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That's beautiful, man. :(

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The three lights problem has an extended three year warranty, applicable only to the three red rings.  When you send it in, they get it back to you in about a wekk and a half to two weeks.  They even sent a one month live subscription card for mine!   :D

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

Nope its 3 red lights and thats the malfunction.  I had the same thing...got 3 red lights a couple of times randomly and then it would start up properly.  Then a few weeks later it died permanently.  MS's support was excellent ...called them up and the usual troubleshooting (which I'd already done) was quickly over and then they sent me a box including the tape to tape it up with and away it went.  Got a refurb that came back and I haven't had trouble since (touch wood).
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
i got in once on my birthday, AUG 12, but she still worked, then on the 30th, she died, and it took a month for it to be repaired.
but o well,

Yep, I had a first round 360 for almost 2 years before mine decided to die.  It probably would have lasted a little longer if I hadnt left it directly in the sunlight during the summer  :nervous:

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Mine would've lasted longer if I wasn't living in the sub-tropics. =/

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Urgh, after getting a box about 200% too large for it by mistake, I've just spent the better part of an hour cramming the broken old girl in there with 16 metres worth of bubblewrap, soft cardboard, and the hopes and dreams of kittens and children. It's not pretty, but I'll be damned if the posties break the thing en-route so it voids the warranty and I have to hand over $180 for a previously free service.

Why the hell did this have to happen a week before RE5 came out? It seems as though the Gods of Gaming saw me worshiping at the idol of RE4, and decided a firm smiting might be in order at a really annoying time. Wankers.

Umm... I know Micorsoft's support for these problems is a frst class act, but am I alone in thinking that this random FUBAR-ification shouldnt be anywhere near as commonplace as it is?  That's the reason i never got a 360, 16 of 20 people i personally know with 360's have had multiple RRoD's, even with 2 of them using the 360 Elite, which supposedly fixed all hardware issues. :S

maneuverable ? pfffft. Look at the Basilisk or Aeshma (i think thats how its spelt) . I dont know what class of fighters they are (Heavy assault), but they fly like a retarded seagull.

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
That's great! I bought a lemon! I bought a second hand XBox 360, from a well known national second hand store, only for it to not function properly. It was taken back to be swapped with another console but with the same hard drive. Later I wanted to exchange, took it back to the same store I bough tit who claimed they were only accepting HDMI versions of the console, which mine wasn't. I took it to a rival store who said they couldn't take the console as it was a Japanese import, (not the hard drive, but the replacement console!) So now I have a 360 that I can't sell because it's a Japanese import that doesn't play certain games, unless they are imports. has three red light syndrome and is likely to go bust! My life sucks!

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
That is the pc gaming gods punishing you
rejoice in the fact you will no longer have to deal with the evilness that is console gaming

+1
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key