Author Topic: Age of Empires I - III  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
Age of Empires I - III
Not sure if any one of you already played these games, but I'll explain anyway (all three are Real-Time Strategy games);

Age of Empires I - A really cool game (already old, though) even if the graphics aren't that nice and isn't so historically accurate. It's simple to play; just choose a civilization (such as Greek, Babylonian, Egyptian, Yamato, Choson, etc.) then choose a map. Choose a victory condition; Conquest means to destroy your enemy completely; Standard means capture an artifact or a ruins, or build a Wonder (a massive, expensive building) to start a countdown to victory.

What's funny about this game is that ALL civilizations have the same language (when you click on their units), and it sounds kinda weird. I even made jokes about it when I was a child.

Age of Empires II - Similar to AOE I, but takes place in the Middle Ages. Now more historically accurate - the civilizations FINALLY have different languages. My favorite civs are the Byzantines and the British (Elite Longbowmen pwn). I'm not really fond of sea battles cause the enemy usually spams A LOT.

Age of Empires III - Based on a time from the renessaince to the Industrial Age. This game is far more advanced than the two, and features 3D graphics; cinematics are actually in-game, with the camera zoomed to make it RPG-like. These are the civs; the French, British, German, Dutch, Ottoman, Spanish, Portugese, and Russian. The Iroquois, Aztecs, and Sioux were added in the "War Chiefs" expansion pack; and the Chinese, Indian, and Japanese were added in the "Asian Dynasties" expansion pack.

My favorite of the civs is German...their Doppelsoldners and War Wagons are simply hard as steel. The're just very good units!
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: Age of Empires I - III
I've played them all, my favourite is AoE II: Gold Edition (comes with some cool shiz which you can also download). III's good, but I grew up on II. :) Was LANning this game yesterday, and I concur; English Longbowmen pwn.

I've played them all, my favourite is AoE II: Gold Edition (comes with some cool shiz which you can also download). III's good, but I grew up on II. :) Was LANning this game yesterday, and I concur; English Longbowmen pwn.

Just hope they don't run into some Huskrals  ;7
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I played Galactic Battlegrounds (which is just Age of Empires II IN SPACE) and I greatly enjoy AOEIII. Coastal bombardment is my specialty.

I also just picked up Command and Conquer: The First Decade. Installed, but I don't know which to start with. Maybe Generals.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Surprisingly I loved AoE and Warcraft 1&2..... and starcraft, wc 3 bored the living daylights out of me.  :doubt:

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Could never deal with having to gather four types of resources. People don't play strategy games in order to spend most of their time supervising resource gathering, as opposed to say, attacking and defending against their opponent.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Could never deal with having to gather four types of resources. People don't play strategy games in order to spend most of their time supervising resource gathering, as opposed to say, attacking and defending against their opponent.
Sez you.  Completely turtling and watching my economy build up is probably my favorite part of games like this. :p

I'm not a huge RTS aficionado, but I greatly enjoyed AoE 2 (and Galactic Battlegrounds, for that matter); I finally played my way through the singleplayer campaigns for the original game and its expansion earlier this year.  Ensemble really nailed the overall balance and combat feel.  I was also a huge fan of the game's pseudo-sequel, Age of Mythology, with its awesome mythological-crossover singleplayer campaign.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
AoEII was my first "real" computer game...
It has the kind of depth I like that isn't too tedious.
AoEIII is just plain boring.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I disagree, AoEIII is good, it has its place. But I think it just added too much to what was already a good core game, for my liking.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
They made it a much faster game.

AoEII I could milk for like a few hours.

AoEIII doesn't really like fortifying and building outposts and stuff. Can't build within 1/2 the map of an enemy town center, WTF?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

My brother keeps owning me with the Mongol Mungadai.

I would  imagine heavy camels would be effective against the Mungadai.  (So would Huskrals)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
English Elite Longbowmen, supported by Cavaliers and other infantry, to prevent other cavalry closing on them will take on a Mangudai/Mangudai Formation out of their range. So, with a high attack and a whopping twelve range, Elite Longbowmen will cut most things, including Mangudai, to shreds before the other side can even come into attack range. This includes Castles, seeing as a Castle's range is only eleven. Best way to annoy your mates at an AoE LAN. :D ("Dilmah! You and your bloody longbowmen!")

Yes, the Cams and Huskarls are probably one of your two best bets for taking them down, if that fails, go toe to toe with them with your own Cavalry Archers, supported by Hussars, Knights, Scouts, see if you can beat him at his own game. From memory, the Heavy Cavalry Archer isn't that outclassed by the Mangudai. Researching everything you can in terms of Archer Attack and Armour at the Blacksmith might help close the gap a little here.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
E This includes Castles, seeing as a Castle's range is only eleven. Best way to annoy your mates at an AoE LAN. :D ("Dilmah! You and your bloody longbowmen!")
That's always funny to watch.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Those longbowmen pissed me the hell off when I was playing through the French campaign, especially since the computer would generally run-and-gun with individual units.  I either had to create a group of skirmishers to counter (which I don't normally have any interest in using), or else micro-manage the hell out of my cavaliers/paladins and send individual units to track down each one.  Intensely annoying.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Lolz... now I know why I didn't play through that campaign.

Damn it's been a long time.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Come to think of it, they showed up in Saladin's campaign too.  Yay for being annoyed on multiple fronts! :p

Yes, the Cams and Huskarls are probably one of your two best bets for taking them down, if that fails, go toe to toe with them with your own Cavalry Archers, supported by Hussars, Knights, Scouts, see if you can beat him at his own game. From memory, the Heavy Cavalry Archer isn't that outclassed by the Mangudai. Researching everything you can in terms of Archer Attack and Armour at the Blacksmith might help close the gap a little here.

What is wrong with Mamaluks (except that you can only use them once, because they are so uber expensive)?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
What do Mamelukes have an attack bonus against? I haven't played Saracens in a looong time.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Cavalry, if I remember correctly.  Fits with the idea of real-life horses being scared by camels. :p