Author Topic: Game/Gamestation going under? If you Pre-ordered ME3 with them read this NOW.  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Re: Game/Gamestation going under? If you Pre-ordered ME3 with them read this NOW.
Gamestation is in many ways worse than Origin, so few people really care that it is dying.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: Game/Gamestation going under? If you Pre-ordered ME3 with them read this NOW.
i've never even heard of it to be honest.
I like to stare at the sun.

i've never even heard of it to be honest.

Me neither. Though without doing any research, I would just assume it's a European equivalent to Gamestop. Might even be the same corporation.

They were a subsidiary of Electronics Boutique, which is a subsidiary of Gamestop, for a little while.
Started off as an independent British retailer, got bought by EB, bought themselves back out from under EB, EB in the UK went bust while they survived, but only for about an extra 5 years or so by the looks of it.
They're probably the UKs single biggest games retailer, Game and Gamestation are almost the last dedicated video game store over here.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Mikes

So EA shuts down online services for games that are no longer profitable. This is news?

With EA I would indeed be worried about purchased games disappearing from Origin at some point, because they are no longer profitable.

EA has an entirely different track record than Valve.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:54:28 am by Mikes »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you have read the Origin and Steam EULAs, you would know that that is a right both companies have reserved. Neither have so far used it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mikes

If you have read the Origin and Steam EULAs, you would know that that is a right both companies have reserved. Neither have so far used it.

EA has an entirely different track record than Valve.

Placing trust in Valve may or may not be wise...   but I would argue that placing trust in EA is more or less being gullible to a fault. ;)

Valve could indeed be doing a lot of truly nasty things with Steam if they were evil.
EA could... well everybody knows already that EA is evil. ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:41:11 am by Mikes »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
How nice to see that the proud tradition of dodging the point is still alive and well. Come back to complain when EA actually goes ahead and removes a game that is a) old and b) still actively played not only from the list of games it actively supports in terms of keeping an online infrastructure for it around, but also removes it from the Origin accounts of the people who bought it through that service. Until then, all you have is a vague feeling of uncertainty and uneasiness at the thought of giving EA some of your money.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

They were a subsidiary of Electronics Boutique, which is a subsidiary of Gamestop, for a little while.
Started off as an independent British retailer, got bought by EB, bought themselves back out from under EB, EB in the UK went bust while they survived, but only for about an extra 5 years or so by the looks of it.
They're probably the UKs single biggest games retailer, Game and Gamestation are almost the last dedicated video game store over here.

Gamestation was once cool.  You could walk into a Gamestation and then walk out with a bagfull of NES and Megadrive games.  They stocked a fair amount of retro second hand stuff.

Then Game bought Gamestation and came to the conclusion that rather than putting all the retro stock into a "£1 50p each" bin it was more profitable to put it all into a "Trade refuse" bin.  :(

I'm lucky that I found that copy of NES Elite when I did.
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.