Author Topic: Strange or just specific to my PC? Error Message when pressing play  (Read 2478 times)

Offline HeadScar

• Glide Mode
Strange or just specific to my PC? Error Message when pressing play
Launcher pops up with an error box after I try to click "Play".

Error Message (translated):
can't open file 'E:\Diaspora\data\cmdline_fso.cfg' (error 1392: File or Folder is corrupted and not readable).

Went to that folder to open that file with notepad but it's somehow a broken file now.
I can't start the game but I played Diaspora couple times before with nothing to worry about. I'm wondering what that error could mean and what happened. I might had some low amounts of hard drive space in the games partition the recent days - could that be the problem or is it something else because I didn't modify the Diaspora folder anyway? File cmdline_fso.cfg is no more. Do I need to reinstall game or could some freshly placed cmdline_fso.cfg solve it?

System: Win7 Pro 64Bit. i7 Core Q720, 8GB DD3 RAM, 1 GB Nvidia GFX, low free disc space on C:\ ;)

Thx for helping out!

//edit: The header of that error msg box says: Registry_helper Error
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:58:32 pm by HeadScar »
And I hope u like jammin', too

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Strange or just specific to my PC? Error Message when pressing play
Delete the cmdline_fso.cfg and then run the launcher again and it will be regenerated.

If you want to post the cmdline, it might be useful for us to see if we can figure out what happened though. You should be able to just attach it to your post.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline HeadScar

• Glide Mode
I tried to delete the file, could not believe what I saw and after some system reboot and even logged in as admin user I still got this error (translation):

-------------------------------------------------------------------
You cannot delete this file because of an unexpected error.
If this error appears again, you can lookup the help with the error code.

Error 0x80070570: File or Folder is damaged and not readable.

cmdline_fso.cfg
Type: CFG-File
Size: 0
Last Changed: 04/10/2012 4:40 a.m.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Cmdline attached below. It wont open with notepad on my machine, only puts out some error box.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well that's definitely not something wrong with Diaspora itself then but something up with your copy of Windows or hard drive then. I'm not certain what the best course of action to solve those problems are then but I'm sure someone else can advise you.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline HeadScar

• Glide Mode
Hm, strange. I can edit/rename/trash any file at anytime, just not that file.

I will reinstall the game and I think that should do the job. I guess you agree. If that specific error ever happens to me again i will report here.

@Lawyers: I paid for my OS! :rolleyes:

//edit: Ehm, okay, just for reconstruction: I did the following: Installed Diaspora to a new folder, forgot to uninstall the original game folder, uninstalled original game folder and deleted both Diaspora folders remaining. Uhm? Stupid me! But: I could delete the cmdline_fso.cfg in that whole process, finaly.

After that I installed Diaspora and it works! Tested it by open, closing and re-open the game. Everythings fine again!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:55:30 pm by HeadScar »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
From experience you better back up your hard drive.  That type of thing usually means it wrote the file to a bad spot on the drive and things that cause bad spots on hard drives rarely don't lead to more of them.  The reason it is probably working now is either the drive or OS flagged that spot as bad and/or it is still in use by the overwritten copy.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline HeadScar

• Glide Mode
Thx for telling me this. Yeah I will backup things, hesitating a bit with this and that but doing it. You never know, a Sunstorm could hit our beloved internet lol.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:24:08 pm by HeadScar »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Might want to schedule a disk check, to be sure your filesystem is free from errors (which may or may not be caused by a failing hard disk, but yeah, back up to be safe):

press start, type in cmd

right click cmd.exe and click "run as administrator"

now type in the command window:
Code: [Select]
chkdsk e: /f
(replace e with whichever drive you want checked if you want to check a different one.)

If it asks if you want to schedule a disk check on next restart cause it can't lock the drive, put Y then press enter

then type
Code: [Select]
exit and press enter

Now restart and let it check your disk for errors.