Author Topic: Nebulon B Frigate WIP UPDATED June 05, 2015  (Read 106437 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Perhaps I am wrong... but it just looks like the nose on the frigate got smashed... is it supposed to look like that?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline PHRiSCo

The aspect ratio is screwed I think on Youtube. I'll use a different codec next render.

Offline PHRiSCo

Perhaps I am wrong... but it just looks like the nose on the frigate got smashed... is it supposed to look like that?

I think it's good? I might tweak some points, but I'm gonna ship it.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:42:19 am by PHRiSCo »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The connecting spar is too thick :V
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

no but it needs more cables
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

no but it needs more cables

I don't wanna hear that cables crap on FotG, that'll get you B& :P
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline PHRiSCo

Re: Nebulon B Frigate WIP (GEO COMPLETE! AUG, 16, 2012)
I am announcing, after several years, that the Nebulon B Frigate is now GEOMETRY COMPLETE!!!! New HD video below!

http://youtu.be/ab75eafR_FM

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:43:19 pm by PHRiSCo »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Have you tried using this site to showcase your meshes. Most FSU guys are now using it (examples here and here) and it's pretty handy.

[/shameless advertising]
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline PHRiSCo

Hey that's pretty cool! Imma gonna wait til the model is done before I let the public examine it more closely though! :)

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
good to see you got back to it, I cant wait to see what you do with your texturing, and I wish you the best of luck, as texturing is the biggest stumbling block, and you have done a nice job with the geometry

This is amazing. I'm so looking forward to see it textured. :)
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline PHRiSCo

So I lied... I'm still making revisions to the geometry, based on new reference I hadn't seen before. (Found on this site, weird.)

I've completely reworked where the spine meets the forward hull. Made changes to the bottom area of the forward hull. Random tweaks here and there. I'm still going to do a few more hours of work on it before I'm completely satisfied.

I've also encoded into a better codec, so the video is much clearer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZhQNW6WX4

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:40:48 pm by PHRiSCo »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Nebulon B Frigate WIP UPDATED August 17, 2012
I hope you're talking about the Modeler Magic Nebulon-B reference archive.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline PHRiSCo

Yeah, pretty much. I'm pretty sure a lot of that reference didn't exist when I started this thing...  :nervous:

A ton of the reference available is actually unusable. In the archive, a bunch of that is crap. That black Frigate? It's wrong, I don't know where that reference is from, even it's it from production, you can tell it's an concept model... there are lots of things different on that one then the final model you see in other photos.

That's been the hardest part of this project for me. Any "blueprints" out there are wrong by large margins. Lots of the other reference are just completely wrong or early revisions of the final model. I've mentioned this before, I worked with the guy who originally designed this ship, Nilo Rodis, when I was with EA. They build several concepts before the final version is built.

Also, for simplicity, the majority of my model will be symmetrical, which will be a little different form film. It's more or less my own interpretation of the thing. I believe the Frigates were built similar to Corellian Cruisers though? Everyone is different? ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:29:03 pm by PHRiSCo »

Offline PHRiSCo

More work on where the spine meets the forward hull...

That's it for me for awhile folks... I'm off the grid for a few days, and have some other work to do, but I'll get back into this in the next week or two.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
So glad to see progress on this model!  Looking better all the time :)

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Sorry I haven't been able to be in irc lately, but it's great to see progress on this!  It really is looking fantastic, and I'm looking forward to seeing it textured.  What a fantastic asset this will be.

Offline PHRiSCo

Still slowly getting in geo tweaks when I can. Basically my final geo workflow is as follows; I've downloaded all the reference I can possibly find, and I'm going through each image, combing through and making the final changes as I go. I've done a lot on the forward hull here, but also some in and around the connecting rod and the engine hull.

7702 polygons.