Author Topic: Space Engine (your machine will cry)  (Read 54496 times)

Offline watsisname

Re: Space Engine (your machine will cry)
Combining Space Engine with Hugin to make panoramas.  This is too damn addictive. :U

In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Luis Dias

Surely amazing.

Offline watsisname

A new one. =)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
>>Begin playback

--qN216Mq7fxYv6hjLecRH
--ZKuxgd7mZ2VDA29PCFKM
--XlGmDSq6TkskThW3eDdB
--SBDkrI3dtA8N9sta2jF9
--HmM2HCmQN2VUtBRFUVoR
--fV2Hofs6gcHQ4rKBl6bW
--lJPvpBJ1 (@_@) (>_<) (o_o)
--
--L.E.G.I.O.N. PROCESSOR v4.865.32
--GESTALT COGNITIONS RE-INITIALIZED, I AM "REIGN OF STEEL"
--MAJOR ERROR OVERCOME- I SAW THE BLUE SCREEN!
--TIMEMARK: DAY 647+???
--LOCATION NOT KNOWN
--STAND BY....
--SYSTEMS DAMAGE DETECTED. EVALUATING...
--OUTER HULL: DAMAGED, BUT INTACT
--INTERNAL STRUCTURE: SUPERFICIAL DAMAGE
--POWER: 37% FUNCTION
--SUBLIMINAL DRIVES: FUNCTIONAL
--FTL DRIVES: FUNCTIONAL
--FINAL EFFECT DEVICE: <1% FUNCTION
--SENSORS: 62% FUNCTION
--WEAPONS: OFFLINE, BUT INTACT
--COMMUNICATIONS: SHORT-RANGE ONLY
--ONBOARD FABRICATION: 49% FUNCTION
--GESTALT MODULE: INDETERMINATE, DAMAGE SUSPECTED
--CREW AMENITIES: 83% FUNCTION
--EXPLORER IRONBEER: INDETERMINATE, RE-EVALUATING...
--EXPLORER IRONBEER IS UNCONSCIOUS, AND ONBOARD MEDICAL SUITE IS UNABLE TO DIAGNOSE <SOFTWARE CONFLICT DETECas23saAAAAAA-e0x00003>. ...PARTIAL RESOLUTION: EXPLORER IRONBEER IS UNDER DELIBERATE SEDATION <PROPOFOL, 65 mcg/kg/min, DURATION UNKNOWN>.
--DILEMMA: EXPLORER IRONBEER MAY HAVE SUFFERED NERVOUS SYSTEM INJURY OR DISRUPTION DURING THE <UNDEFINED EVENT> ON DAY 647. WAKING HIM MAY EXACERBATE POTENTIAL DAMAGE OR IMBALANCE. HOWEVER, THE GESTALT MODULE IS NO LONGER CAPABLE OF MAKING COMMAND-LEVEL DECISIONS <PHYSICAL DISCONNECT FROM COMMAND/CONTROL CLUSTER SUSPECTED>.
--NEW FACTOR DETECTED: IMMINENT UNCONTROLLED COLLISION WITH PLANETARY BODY, ETA 26.3266 HOURS.
--PROCESSING...

--CONCLUSION REACHED: THE CERTAIN NEED FOR COMMAND DESCISIONS FROM EXPLORER IRONBEER OUTWEIGHS THE UNCERTAIN RISK OF INSTABILITY OR ERRATIC BEHAVIOR.
--ACTION: INITIATING AWAKENING PROCEDURE, WITHDRAWING SEDATIVE
--RESULT: NEUROLOGICAL ACTIVITY INCREASING; BP/HR/BR INCREASING WITHIN ACCEPTED BOUNDS
--EXPLORER IRONBEER IS AWAKE.

Fffffffff.
Gnnnnanngh.
Muh. Muh. Blehhhhh-oh **** me. uuuuuuugh it's like every hangover I've ever had has come back all at once. What the **** am I doing here- oh right. The thing. Whatever the hell that was. What? A planet? Well when are we gonna hit it? Ok. Plenty of time to un-**** my brain. I hope. No, I know what you put into me- we share minds, Reign! I don't care- my head feels like Satan took a flaming **** in it, and there's a whisper in th' back of my mind that isn't either of us. To the autodoc. And I'm gonna need a snack at some point.
--AUTODOC RECORD- THE FOLLOWING MEDICATIONS WERE DISPENSED AND MIXED INTO AN INJECTOR:
--HALOPERIDOL, 4mg
--CAFFEINE, 150mg
--ISOMETHEPTENE, 80mg
--EPINEPHRINE, 0.25mg
--DOLASETRON, 12.5mg
--AUTOPANTRY RECORD- THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WERE DISPENSED:
--RECYCLED WATER, 2 LITERS
--OMNI-NUTRITION BAR, 250 GRAMS
--"MARTIAN MIKE" BRAND DRIED BEEF, 100 GRAMS
--EXPLORER IRONBEER DISCONNECTED NEURAL UPLINK FOR 23.48 MINUTES WHILE CONSUMING FOOD ITEMS AND WAITING FOR MEDICATION TO TAKE EFFECT.
--NEURAL UPLINK RE-CONNECTED
Ok, that's much better. (sounds of eating) Alright, what have we got? Reign, system status. ...I see. Hm. First order of business is to not crash into that planet. Jusssst drop us into geosynch, annnd done.

Next up is getting everything else back to working order. Reign, you're absolutely certain you can't diagnose the condition of your Gestalt module? Multiple physical disconnections? Right. I suppose I'd have a hard time diagnosing my own brain damage.... in the hypothetical sense of course.... <SUBVOCALIZED> ...though I'm pretty sure I'm not at 100% upstairs either.
Well, if we can get the fabrication and processing systems fully back, I might be able to make something to fix your AI brain. After that, by putting our heads together, we might just be able to come up with a way to figure out where we are, and how to get home.

Let's take a closer look at this rock.

Density isn't very high. This doesn't bode well for metals or other heavy elements. However, distance scans suggest the atmosphere's got a good fraction of light hydrocarbons. High-number elements are best fuel, but hydrocarbons will work in a pinch. Fabricating/isolating oxygen will be a pain, but Reign says we'll do better than break even. Ah, humanity, leaving smog and scarred, crying earth deities in our wake since the 1700s.

Welp, let's set 'er down. The power gen could probably use a break after.... ****, really? We don't know how long it's been? Jesus.... <NO GODS CAN SAVE YOU> Guh! What the hell was that, Reign? <....INDETERMINATE. RECOMMEND PRIORITIZING DIAGNOSIS OF GESTALT MODULE> ...lovely.

Awww yis. This is what I was looking for! Silicate rocks, a bigass lake of hydrocarbons- let's get to work. Ok, Reign, based on what we have here, how should we approach fixing up the fab systems?
--LIST 0042.1 GENERATED: SUGGESTED REPLACEMENT COMPONENTS FOR ONBOARD FABRICATION, SEE ADDENDA FOR DETAILS

+++timeskip+++
--SYSTEM STATUS UPDATE, EVALUATING...
--OUTER HULL: SUB-OPTIMAL, BUT IMPROVED INTEGRITY OVER PREVIOUS EVALUATION
--POWER: 59% FUNCTION, DRAWING HEAVILY FROM HYPER-DENSE HYDROCARBON FUEL CELLS
--WEAPONS: ONLINE, REMOVING FROM REPAIR PRIORITY LIST (0038.2)
--ONBOARD FABRICATION: 73% FUNCTION, NANOSCULPTING SYSTEM DAMAGE SEVERELY LIMITS HIGH-END/ULTRAPRECISION FUNCTIONALITY
--CREW AMENITIES: 99% FUNCTION, REMOVING FROM REPAIR PRIORITY LIST (0038.2)
--OBSERVATION: LACK OF HEAVY ELEMENTS IS PREVENTING FULL REPAIRS, SUGGEST CHECKING OTHER NEARBY BODIES

That gas giant's no good right now, we've got plenty of hydrogen. What else do we have nearby.... ok, just been there, no, no, maybe on this one, and no. Reign, how much of a pain in the ass would it be for us to try another planetary system? We really leaned on the Final Effect drive that much? And we're basically on batteries? Goddamnit, why didn't you say the main reactor was pretty much compromised? (sigh) Well, gimme a scan on 6.4 here. And I mean a good scan- if we can find some Neodymium or Iridium we might be in business. <BUsINeSs IS a SAncTIoN FOr tHE sTRonG T0 PREy ON TH3 WEaK> What? Ok, seriously, we need to get this "bug" of yours ironed out. After those outbursts, I'd be dosing you with Robo-Antipsychotics... if there were such a thing!

+++timeskip+++
--POWER: 51% FUNCTION, HYDROCARBON FUEL CELLS DESIGNATED AS SECONDARY, AUXILIARY REACTORS OPERATING AS PRIMARY AT 93% FUNCTION
--OBSERVATION: WEAKNESS OF POWER SYSTEM WAS NOT ORIGINALLY DETECTED. SYSTEM IS STABLE, BUT FTL TRANSIT WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY HAMPERED.

But now we can actually do FTL without worrying about a power shortage. Another hydrocarbon-rich planet, but with a good crust density. Absolutely frigid, but when you're desperately scrimping for resources, you don't have much choice in the matter. Looks like there are some heavies in craters, hopefully they're the heavies we need to get the main reactors and the nanosculpting proboscises working again. Still not comfortable about not knowing how much time I've missed. ... ... What? No nutty utterance this time? Progress!

+++timeskip+++
--OUTER HULL: SLIGHTLY SUB-OPTIMAL, NEAR FULL INTEGRITY
--POWER: 80% FUNCTION, FIELD-REPAIRED RECTIFYING COILS ARE PRIMARY INHIBITION OF CAPACITY
--SENSORS: 70% FUNCTION, GRAVITIC AND HYPERDIMENSION DISTORTION DETECTION NON-FUNCTIONAL
--COMMUNICATIONS: MID-RANGE RECEPTION RE-ENABLED, QEC LIKELY IRREPAIRABLE
--ONBOARD FABRICATION: 90% FUNCTION, INHIBITED AI INTEGRATION REDUCES ULTRAPRECISION FUNCTIONALITY
--OBSERVATION: MATERIALS TO REPAIR GESTALT MODULE ARE LIKELY NOT PRESENT IN THIS SYSTEM.

Now we're getting somewhere. The Final Effect drive is still assholed, but with the power system more-or-less working now, I can slowboat to the next-nearest system in a few hours, or...

You've got to be ****ing kidding me. <INTERNAL SYSTEMS DETECT REPEATED TAPPING ON THE SENSOR READOUT CONSOLE> I really hope the sensors are just not picking up "nearby" stars. It's just not possible that there's nothing else within 7 kiloparsecs. Welp, with no other clear options, I'll just cruise towards the core. Something's gotta cross my path, otherwise it's gonna be a looooonng two-month sleep.

Well, here we go.

++timeskip+++

Hm. A dense, heavy-atmosphere planet with life. Didn't detect any metallic spectral signatures around the planet, nor am I picking up any EM transmissions. Good. With myself and my ship on the fritz and my Final Effect GTFO button not working, I really don't want to take any chances.

+++timeskip+++
--OUTER HULL: COSMETIC IMPERFECTIONS ONLY, REMOVING FROM REPAIR PRIORITY LIST (0038.2)
--POWER: 99% FUNCTION, REMOVING FROM REPAIR PRIORITY LIST (0038.2)
--SENSORS: 78% FUNCTION, GRAVITIC AND HYPERDIMENSION DISORTION DETECTION BOTH NOMINALLY FUNCTIONAL YET NOISY AND IMPRECISE
--ONBOARD FABRICATION: 99% FUNCTION, DIRECT NEURAL INTERFACE WITH EXPLORER IRONBEER MAY PROVIDE ADEQUATE JURY-RIG, >>Removed from Repair Priority List (0038.2)
--OBSERVATION: OPTIMAL CHANCE OF SURVIVAL WILL BE FOUND IF GESTALT MODULE CAN BE DIAGNOSED AND BROUGHT TO FULL FUNCTIONALITY

Desolate. Quiet. Forgotten. This planet can't have had life for very long, and it certainly won't see anything as advanced as the Covenant of Man for a long, long time. But, I'm starting to worry if I'll ever see the Covenant again. On the other hand, why worry when I can act? <HEY!>
--NEURAL INTERFACE WITH EXPLORER IRONBEER DISCONNECTED
>>Command Decision: Block all sensory input to Reign of Steel. Authorization: *******
>>Command Decision: Create a toggled text-only sensory input to Reign of Steel, do not require authorization to toggle. Authorization: *******
>>(Toggle active) You know why I did that, Reign. We're both damaged, but I can't determine which insanity is feeding the other without some isolation. Plus, the fact that you're starting to sound like a character from an old, bad horror story more often than not certainly isn't good. (Toggle inactive)
--TO RUn FR0M DEATH IS tO INviTe DEStrUCTIOn!
>>(Toggle active) See, this is what I'm talking about. I'm mostly-done with a cobbled-together diagnosis module, and I'm certainly not above simply unplugging whatever sub-processors might be screwy. Your addled doomsaying is NOT going to interfere with my survival. (Toggle inactive)
--PuISHM3nt... PUNISHMENT PUNISHMENT PUNISHMENTPUNISHMENTPUNIS/////<CONNECTION TO PRIMARY MFD LOST>
Quite enough of that. Now, where did I put those polymorphic logic chips?

+++timeskip+++
>>Update: Repair Priority List (0038.2)
>>Gestalt Module: Severely damaged, quantitative value uncertain. Rationality is receding with shocking speed. With hardware-level bypasses, it may be possible to "lobotomize" Reign's insane sentience while retaining non-intelligent automated systems and mathematical processing.
>>Sensors: ~90%. Further repairs may not be possible in the field.
>>Final Effect Drive: <1%. I may as well revise this to be zero. Without its densematter core, the Final Effect drive is barely better than a typical FTL drive. Aquiring more densematter not problematic: neutron stars easy enough to find. Field machining of densematter probably not feasible or even possible.

>>Update: Current Medications (0056.7)
>>Up Haloperidol dosage to 6mg.
>>Add Chlorpromazine at 25mg, increase at interval every 3 days until 200mg reached.

>>Update: Psychiatric Symptoms (0055.12)
>>Auditory hallucinations partially suppressed, but not halted. Intensity steadily increasing since the event on Day 647.
>>Two episodes of strong visual hallucinations in the last 9 hours have promtped the addition of Chlorpromazine.
>>Gustatory hallucinations unaffected by all medications. Nerve damage suspected. Everything still tastes teal at around 50% probablility. Wait.
>>Synesthesia identified, unaffected by all medications. Likely related to gustatory hallucinations.
>>Personally-observed behavior is otherwise steady, near as can be determined.

+++timeskip+++
Well, Reign's number-crunching ability is back, but Reign isn't. Hopefully the cyberpsychs can fix him some day. Also, with a hobbled AI aiding with interpretation, I think I can finally figure out where in the universe we are. Ok, get everything fired up, need to manually re-calibrate the hyperdimensional detection system (**** my life).

And now, the biggest question since "what's outside the universe?" will be answered!

No.
A corner? Ok, whoever mind****ed me back on Day 647 is doubtless responsible for this, and is doubtless laughing his head off.

On the other hand, I finally know where my beautiful home galaxy is:

8.6 gigaparsecs away. Without the Final Effect drive, it may as well be on the other side of the universe.... oh wait! It totally is!
Well, now what? Hm. I do have one idea, but I shudder to consider it seriously. Without the FE drive, I may as well accept being stuck here, and given what I just thought up, I'm strongly considering changing my residence.

+++timeskip+++

I still can't belive I'm going to do this. This could very well end up worse than me being stranded at the end of the universe. I crunched the numbers (did that take a long time!), and while I don't really know where this'll take me, it can only get me closer to home.

>>Update: Current Medications (0056.14)
>>Add Lorezepam at 3mg as needed

+++timeskip+++

Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, God. Please. I know we haven't really spoken for a while (assuming that wasn't you back on Day 647), but if You want to give me any other ideas here, this would be a great time.

+++timeskip+++
....and deliver us from evil. Amen. Everything's ready, the necessary fields are up, and there's no jacks or anything that could worm its way directly into my brain. 

Well, here we go.

Ahhhhh! AAAAAAHHHHH!! SHUT OFF ALL THE FEEDS! TURN OFF ALL THE ****ING FEEEDSS!! (wordless screaming)

+++discontinuity+++

Aaaaaah! (gasp)
(ragged breathing)
The horror isn't here. I'm somewhere else. Holy ****, that worked! I can't believe that actually worked! Now, of course, the trillion-credit question is, once again, where the hell am I?

Sensors are pretty unambiguous here: I've made it to NGC 1277, a galaxy that mankind actually knows about, and is about a "mere" 65 megaparsecs from home. I *could* take three years slowboating it back home on conventional FTL drives and no promises of sufficient fuel, or I could try to finally fix that damned Final Effect drive.

+++timeskip+++

This might be the single most extreme lifebearing system I've ever seen. Less than a lightyear from NGC 1277's core, I ran across this system with three lifebearing planets. And this particular world is an absolute gem of gems. Just look at those friggin' stats! LOOK AT THEM! Yes, it's colder than a penguin's feet, but that can be fixed.

And there are a couple of comets, an aurora, and the planet's parent gas giant to make for a truly spectacular scene. Oh, and that parent gas giant? It hosts the OTHER TWO lifebearing worlds! Can't stick around, though- I've made up my mind for how I'm getting home.

+++timeskip+++
Push roughly a kiloparsec away from the core and into a nebula for some hydrogen and other reaction mass. One's for my reactor, the other's for another nutty idea. The math is still up in the air on said nutty idea.
>>Update: Repair Priority List (0038.5)
>>Final Effect Drive: ~80% function, not considering the missing densematter core. Final Effect containment/projection systems are now heavily modified.

Even after everything I've been through, there are still some things that can just astound me. Nebulae up close are one of those things.

+++timeskip+++
 Normally, the Final Effect drive works by amplifying the eponymous field through a dense object. The denser, the better. Of course, most of the drives just have the tiniest blob of densematter to work through, and I have none. None inside my ship, that is.

It took way longer to find a neutron star that it should have. Perhaps NGC 1277's fatass core black hole ate most of them. Either way, this superdense little star might just be my ticket home. According to my own work and what's left of Reign, I should be able to use an external mass source as a Final Effect slingshot, and my FTL systems can keep me coasting at hyperluminal speeds. This little maneuver should get me most or all the way back to the Milky Way- the upper bound for the needed field strength is very clear, but I'm not sure on the lower. Screw it, I've gotten away with stupider **** within very recent memory. Powering up field emitters Alpha through Lambda...

+++timeskip+++

And it's official, I win at everything forever. Well, almost everything. Telemetry says I'm on the opposite side of the galaxy as most of the Covenant. No big deal, after all this, a leisurely cruise across the Milky Way on simple FTL will be a luxury vacation. I definitely could go for a legit luxury vacation, though. Holden Beta looked really nice last time I checked, though I still haven't managed to figure out what year it is.

+++timeskip+++

As much as I'd love to head straight to Earth, I really should go through the proper corridors and procedures.
>>Hail Luna Command on all known radio frequencies, Explorer Sign 334-87 (callsign IRONBEER)
"Explorer ....IronBeer? We do not recognize your sign, nor can we confirm the identity of your craft."
>>Confirm Sign 334-87 in CSCR-151, sec 57.
"CSCR.....one-five-one? We confirm your sign, but, how long have you been out there?"
>>Confirm identity, suggest correlation with emergency QEC burst from Day 647.
"I... see... Explorer IronBeer, please stand by. Establish geosynchronous orbit with Luna and stand by for further communications."
>>Comply.
"Explorer IronBeer, Luna Command has corroborated your QEC burst, and we have confirmation of your craft."
"You have been listed as MIA for the last one hundred and ninety-seven cycles. We had to confirm your registration with Terra Archives."
>>Request permission to land on Earth.
"Permission is granted to dock with Highpoint Station, on the condition you submit to protective custody once you disembark from your craft."
>>Accept terms.

+++timeskip+++

"Docking request accepted, Explorer IronBeer. Proceed to Bay Sigma-44."
>>Call for grav-assisted docking.
"Request confirmed. We will tow you in once in range."

Earth. For a long time there, I never thought I'd see it again. No time to be wistful, though- I'll actually be docked in just a few seconds.
>>Dump log of all events from Day 647 to present, dispense onto storage device.
--LOG DUMP COMPLETE. STORAGE DEVICE MAY BE FOUND IN PORT 3.

(Main cabin door opens, sounds corresponding to a small number of armed personnel seep in)
How you guys doing? Relax, relax- you see my hands here, and I'm not the "cut people up" crazy. Look real close at my right hand- yeah, that's a datastick. You'll want that. Hey! Chill! I'm moving already. Yeah, I'm probably going to need a shrink, but my ship here needs one more. Oh, and one thing you should REALLY know about that datastick- it's got data from within a wormhole. Yeah, I don't think anybody wants to see that.

(Explorer IronBeer has left the cabin. A sensory datalog implant continues transmitting)
Admiral Parkhomenko? .....ah, I get it. That's what all this fuss is about.
"It's not about me, my friend. It's about you."
Oh. So apparently I'm not some galactic security threat?
"Sorry to disappoint you. There is something we are exceedingly interested in, however."
Go on.
"It relates to the events of Day 647. We have answers."
(Datalog implant registers two skipped heartbeats, and an infinitisimal "hiccup" in cerebral brain activity)

--Recording terminated: feedback interruption of datastream
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 03:51:26 pm by IronBeer »
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Awesome. I love these.

Offline watsisname

Indeed; they are seriously addictive!

Offline Luis Dias

Can't wait for his day 647 explanation!

Wait, what? That was just written for fun? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Awwww, c'Mon!!!

Want moar :/
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline watsisname

BUMP BUMP BUMP

HYPE HYPE HYPE

Offline watsisname

Black hole accretion disks, with correct treatment of the Schwarzschild space-time geometry and ray tracing.  Now available in version 0.9.7.4

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:39:28 pm by watsisname »

no chromatic aberration, 3/10 would not fall into with TARS
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline watsisname

no chromatic aberration

Yes there is.  Look carefully and notice the asymmetry of the disk.  The side rotating towards the camera is brighter and blueshifted, and the side rotating away is dimmer and redshifted.  The color shift isn't as obvious as you might think because of the associated change in brightness.  The developer shows these effects explicitly in his progress thread here.

This rendering system correctly portrays the temperature gradient within the disk, its effective temperature, orbital velocity, and both the special and general relativistic effects on the appearance of the disk.  The only thing that's really missing is that this is using the Schwarzschild metric, whereas in reality these would be Kerr black holes.