Author Topic: Lucifers shields  (Read 33415 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Wasn't making any hints at Command being daft, just that there's no sure answer of "Will it work?"

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
I was always under the impression that the Lucifer's shields were similar to any fighters shields; they do not protect from beam cannons and enough firepower would bring them down, its just that nobody could concentrate enough firepower to do so.
Stuff

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I would tend to agree with that, but we don't have enough evidence to conclude.

I believe Snail has pointed out that techroom entries say the shield is 'invulnerable, not merely very strong' or somesuch.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
They still should be at least affected by beam cannons, as Collosus was expected to be able to destroy Lucifer.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I concur.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
They still should be at least affected by beam cannons, as Collosus was expected to be able to destroy Lucifer.
There's the keyword though, "Expected." For what we know, if such a situation ever arose, it might not have even worked at all.

Pffft. Bow+arrow is underrated. Against personnel, they're deadly.
Gun > crossbow + blot > bow + arrow
rocket propelled chainsaw > gun > crossbow+bolt > bow and arrow XD
Also, the tech room states the lucy shield was invulnerable, not merely resistant, to ALL weaponry the GTA and PVN had developed at the time of engagement. Beam weapons had not been taken into account at this point in time.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:08:00 pm by FS2_playa613 »

maneuverable ? pfffft. Look at the Basilisk or Aeshma (i think thats how its spelt) . I dont know what class of fighters they are (Heavy assault), but they fly like a retarded seagull.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
There's the keyword though, "Expected." For what we know, if such a situation ever arose, it might not have even worked at all.
I doubt they would spend 20 years building something if they had doubts if it would even work.
Then again...stuff like that does happen.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I doubt they would spend 20 years building something if they had doubts if it would even work.
Then again...stuff like that does happen.
I also didn't say they ever doubted it would work, since it was, as said, expected to do what it was built to do. Since it never happend, we the player cannot make a confirmation that it does work.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

Knife > Rocket propelled chainsaw launcher

:p

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I also didn't say they ever doubted it would work, since it was, as said, expected to do what it was built to do. Since it never happend, we the player cannot make a confirmation that it does work.

And don't need to, since the whole design purpose of the thing was to kill Lucifers, and the GTVA has never demonstrated the massive ineptitude that would be necessary for it to not work.

In other words, in-Main-Campaign confirmation is irrevelant.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Perhaps the colossus had a secret weapon with which it would use to combat the Lucifer. Like... ramming it. Or turning into a giant transformer, create a subspace portal, and throwing the sun at it bit by bit. Or a black hole. Or...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I don't think there's any guarantee that the Collossus would have worked against a Lucifer. Another Lucifer represents doomsday to the GTVA, so they're going to do anything they can, spend all the money they think they need to - to prevent that doomsday. A modern day analogue would be the missile defence system the US is trying to implement - there's no evidence that they'd be able to stop every bomb the Russians (or whoever) would launch - in fact there's good evidence they probably wouldn't - but they're spending the money anyway. The Collossus might be the same thing - concentrate enough armour and firepower in one place, throw the best modern technology at the Lucifer and... hope.

Not to mention that the Lucifer might not have been the only consideration for the GTVA. Sure, "Stopping the Lucifer" would have been what they told people it's purpose was, what they put on all their funding bills and whatnot, but it wasn't neccesarily the only thing they were thinking about. Maybe they never thought the Shivans would return, or that it wouldn't be for hundreds of years - perhaps the Collossus was built as a terror weapon, to control people through fear. Or maybe its purpose was the complete opposite - maybe it was primarily a symbol of the military unity of the Terrans and Vasudans, forcing both species to commit equally to a truly joint project, with a nominal goal of stopping another Lucifer, but an actual goal of simply having a huge project where thousands of Terrans and Vasudans were working together. Or maybe it had a more direct purpose related to unity - whoever controlled the Collossus would have been the dominant species - maybe the idea was to ensure that neither species, and more importantly no small groups from within either species - could ever turn on the other, due to the overwhelming firepower available to the forces of unity.

In short, I don't think it's appropriate to say that the mere existence of the Collossus is evidence that it would have worked against the Lucifer. In fact, given that the GTVA already has a viable - though perhaps not entirely ideal - method for eliminating Lucifers, might have pushed the "bonus" factors - increased unity, control through terror, whatever - into priority position, according to the idea that "If it works, great, no more lucifer, if it doesn't we can always bomb it to hell in subspace".

NB - I'm personally of the opinion that only certain highly potent weapons would be able to penetrate - so while a BFGreen might be effective, an SGreen? No chance.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:27:40 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Not to mention that the Lucifer might not have been the only consideration for the GTVA. Sure, "Stopping the Lucifer" would have been what they told people it's purpose was, what they put on all their funding bills and whatnot, but it wasn't neccesarily the only thing they were thinking about. Maybe they never thought the Shivans would return, or that it wouldn't be for hundreds of years - perhaps the Collossus was built as a terror weapon, to control people through fear. Or maybe its purpose was the complete opposite - maybe it was primarily a symbol of the military unity of the Terrans and Vasudans, forcing both species to commit equally to a truly joint project, with a nominal goal of stopping another Lucifer, but an actual goal of simply having a huge project where thousands of Terrans and Vasudans were working together. Or maybe it had a more direct purpose related to unity - whoever controlled the Collossus would have been the dominant species - maybe the idea was to ensure that neither species, and more importantly no small groups from within either species - could ever turn on the other, due to the overwhelming firepower available to the forces of unity.
Given how it was initially proposed by Emperor Khonsu II, I think that's actually very reasonable.

:yes:

Isnt there a lucy in the original FS2 FRED?

A Lucy from fred is -as Ive seen- invulnarable to my lasers (dispite the beams) but it stands no chance agains the colly.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

Rocket propelled teddy bear > RPC
"No"

*Stands on the Lucifer and yells Ziggyboogeydoog?*
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You know it's name.... That means you wield its power now........... :shaking:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Actually it's Zeeky Booky Doog. :P

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Well we could think of it like this;
Most Shivan fighters have 7-9 times the shield hit points as their hull hit points.
So 800000hp multiplied by 7 is 5600000hp, if you multiply it by 9 it is 7200000hp.
That many shield points would be virtually invulnerable to anything during the great war, and could classify it as invincible. 
Stuff