Author Topic: "Restart/Red Alert Bug"  (Read 3521 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
"Restart/Red Alert Bug"
Well when I went into final search for bugs in "The Black Hand - Fist Steps Into The Abyss" this morning a serious probelm orccurded:
After a "cutsecne-mission" which ended with the "end-mission"-sexp and no debriefing the following red-alert mission did not start properly...

after briefing
- I was not able to accelerate the fighter (speed was 0 at all times - even when using the afterbruner)...
- there was nothing (Background was in place) to the be seen when switching to external camera...
- Targeting did not work (ships were only tagreted for a very short time, less than a second)..
- and the other friendly starting ships were not in place (hostiles were there!)...
- when firing the afterbruner the screen went white and then switched to normal camera rapidly (same interval as with the targeting - effect vanished when afterbruner went dry)

when the mission is played solo everything is fine
- there is no "red-alert-carry-status" in the previous missions...
- there is no disdirected "ship-vanish"-sexp (which caused this too)

this appears too when I restart a mission....
as I'm not able the search the forum (it's denied to me - dunno y), I don't know if this was already reproted elsewhere...

PC facts:
Pentium 4 - 1.8 GHz
768 MB RAM + 3.75 GB Virtual RAM on harddisk
Windows 2k SP4
Ati Radeon 9200 SE
at least 5 GB fee HD space (including the Virtual RAM)

TBP - 3.2
SCP - [that one that comes with TBP 3.2]
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Re: "Restart/Red Alert Bug"
Though I haven't heard of this particluar kind of "effect" before, I am pretty sure I know what's up...
There have been broblems before when using red alert and no debrief together... Most likely these two are stiring up trouble again. Try experimenting with them. Add text to the debrief even if the no debrief tag is on. Or try using just one or the another...

BTW. The search isn't working so don't mind about it... :)

EDIT: Oh. I just noticed you are using pretty old build. Check the SCP site for newer build 'cos that might help too...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Let me try and get a handle on what you're doing. Does the second mission end with a red-alert or does it start with one?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
After a "cutsecne-mission" which ended with the "end-mission"-sexp

It's likely that that's your problem right there.  Red-alert missions must have a mission immediately preceding them that ends using the red-alert sexp.  Anything else, even end-mission with no debriefing, causes all sorts of weird stuff to happen.  In fact, a bug in Volition's Silent Threat campaign was caused by this very problem.

Offline 0rph3u5

thanks for the help...
I will see if I can do anything with "red-alert"sexp (although it killes the effect off the mission a bit)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

What do you need the red alert mission status for? Is it just to get the screen for the briefing, or to carry over ship health etc?

Because I'm carrying over the player ships helps from mission to mission, with the player both have multiple mission paths, and the ability to fly other ships, I have to simulate red-alert status, by saving the various percentages for the ships hull and systems.

The only problem is that you can't currently set missile and countermeasure ammo via a SEXP.

Offline 0rph3u5

I don't need it for transfering HP, wapeons or ship etc
I just want to have a transittion between this cutscene mission* (maybe if I do get the skills/time or anybody who would help me I could from it into a breifing cutscene) and an following mission... I will say nothing about the content... (see definition of "cutscene mission" down there)

I will update my SCP build now 'cause I need a newer build elsewehre

* cutscen mission:
mission where the player has no control of his carft and is no able to interfere into the action going on... he's just there to watch the show... I will need this a couple more times since my protagonist is a telephat how has/had contact to shadows and vorlons during his duty as PSI Cop - function is most often to introduce parts of the story (like the beginning of the vorlon-shadow-war 2261) which act at different places far away from the protagonist or are about the protagonists state of mind (don't ask for further detail...)

==================