Author Topic: Vid's campaigns are too difficult? - advice here!  (Read 47960 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Vid's campaigns are too difficult? - advice here!
I got a lot of complaints recently. So I decided to create this threat, so people can learn what kind of tactic I thought of to win my missions. Feel free to post or discuss.

DarkChildren Mission 4:

okay, let's check your problem first: Do you get killed (1.) or do you loose because Mind dies (2.) ?

1. Solution: Make ample use of slowmo (REALLY) and shoot the Minbari down before they actually reach you. Only "Helpless" Wing attacks you and your shadow brothers, the rest focuses on Mind (since "Pitful" only shows up at High or Extreme). Ignore everything but "Helpless".

2. Solution: Only a few turrets on the Minbari ships actually fire. Take these out (easy with your Shadow Bolt). The second big threat is the base, disarm it quite early so it cannot fire on Mind.

Feel free to discuss strategies for beating my campaigns here. When discussing a mission state which mission it is and protect spoilers using the
Spoiler:
spoiler tag

Linked this to all FH campaign threads.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:12:02 am by Jeff Vader »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Re: Vid's campaigns are to difficult? - advice here!
ah so that's how you do it. cool.

Personally I don't think they're too difficult. But i play on very easy because..........well because i like winning. I do get quite far in to your campaigns too. It doesn't take me long to get unstuck when i am cos usually it's obvious what i did wrong. and often it's because i haven't managed my fighter support properly but of course that isn't an option in Dark Children. I kinda figured about the base though. It was what took ou th mid the last time i tried that mission. For me the difficult bit is making sure i take out all the fighters at the beginning since you need to be pretty quick even when 'concentrating'.

Offline Vidmaster

FH2260: Mission6:

Failure when Hague's ship gets disabled OR is destroyed   if his allies don't make it, never mind. You changed canon B5 story, but never mind  :lol:

Advice:
- the only thing which REALLY NEEDS TO BE DONE is to make sure no bomber delivers it's payload. Press default b to target bombs and bombers quickly.
- it might be a good idea to tell your wingmen to attack something specific, since the AI is stupid. Engines or Weapon systems are nice targets. Also the turrets firing on friendlies (not all turrets are dangerous  :) )
- best focus on one enemy ship, for example the Excalibur, since it will likely inflict most of the damage on the Alexander
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:32:10 am by Vidmaster »

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Fleeb

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I'm in need of assistance. I don't know what mission number, but campaign is 2259. I'm supposed to help the hunters take the Pandora cargo vessel. Problem being that it keeps blowing up for no apparent reason, and the mission is a failure. I think it usually has around 80 points of health left usually when it blows up. I've made sure to aim very carefully to take out the laser turrets and comm and avoid a great deal of damage to the ship.

Any suggestions? TIA.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
There is a trick to the mission.  I won't give specifics but you need to listen to the communications about what to shoot at.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Vidmaster

No problem, that's why this thread is here  :cool:

FUBAR's advice may have been incorrect since there is another possibility, you are not necessarily screwing up  ;) Instead, your wingmen do.
Be sure your wingmen (and -women  :lol:) do not pointlessly attack the tanker. Have them disarm or ignore the Pandora. Sadly, that glitch is a common problem in all FS2 capture missions.

Summary:  FH2259 Mission 5: "The damn tanker goes boom"
Solution: The thing is full of Quantium40. Quantium40 is used to provide the energy for stationary jumpgates. Now guess what happens when you shoot a barrel full of Quantium40?  :lol:
Be sure neither your wingmen nor you shoot one of the tanks on the Pandora and keep also in mind that causing an engine overload (->produces a lot of heat) might not be a wise choice either.
You are the boss, so give your fellow Hunters specific orders, yes?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:58:08 am by Vidmaster »

Offline fimbul

Maybe I am just a noob, but I think some missions are really too hard.

For example the mission (CotD) Mission when u fight above an ansteroid against 3 mimbari cruiser
and the mission when you have to fight versus the vorlons. I am sorry but I have really no idea how to win it... (tried various tactics)

Same thing for Mission to protect EA Alexandria (TFH 2260) above Jupiter, I really tried to kill the bombers AND tried to disable some BeamTurrets from enemy capital ships.... 

Hm seems problems never end, i did mission with EA Alexandria (made the ship invulnerable) and reached now after I changed some config (cause otherwise the mission reunion 2 crashes in min 37:01) the mission to defend the drakiri station but now the game crashes in that mission -.-

Well done campaign and level design, but if game crashes too often and missions quite hard you wont have fun playing it :(

I hope with your last FH2261 you also will "fix" the previous campaigns.

All played in easy mode.

Hope you can give me some tips....   
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 03:06:38 am by fimbul »

Offline Vidmaster

Both the FortuneHunters and (especially) Dark Children are aimed at pretty good players. If you just started with TBP, play RaiderWars first, then maybe Earth-Minbari War. Most people here at Hardlight are Freespace2 veterans and play this game since years.

for tips to 2260 mission6 look above. I always thought this mission to be to easy and as far as I know most people also got past it without major problems. Since there is no Reunion2, I guess you again to mission6 here. The game crashing in this mission is new to me.
A crash in Mission8 (the Brakiri Station) occurred several times, the problem is I have no idea why.

DarkChildren (not Children of the Darkness :lol:) on the other hand is no complete campaign and not exactly balanced. I created it to test an idea and the slowmotion feature. I had plans for a full campaign but cut out 3 missions because I got frustrated with the story, the DarkChildren now available suffers from a huge leap of difficulty therefore (cut out 4, 5 and 6; therefore mission 7 became what's mission4 is now). If you accept the challenge, it's still possible to win. It just takes practice.
For mission 5 of that campaign: You cannot win it. You are going to die. To successfully finish the campaign, you have to survive until Mind dies, if you die after that you have "won:)

Yeah, I always fix my campaigns for the next release, the problem is the missions are not broken.

Offline Vidmaster

FH2259 Mission 2:   I cannot disable that damn trader

It's related to the ship model. Forget about your wingmen, you have to do it yourself. Order them to disarm the thing meanwhile.
To hit, you need to hover above or under the central core of the Avoki, meaning you actually need to fly between those two hull segments (inside the ships structure), I recommend attack from above. A few Venoms should take care of the problem then.

Conclusion: To damage the engines, hit the upper side of the central core

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Another trick is to use your guns until you see where the damage point for the engines is and then hit there with the Venoms. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Daeron

• The guy playing with a mouse
I hate having to post in this thread, but.. I've spend too many hours after midnight trying to get past a mission in FH 2260.

Spoiler:
It's the mission where you first start as a merc, defending the Brakiri station from the Drazi. So far I got through on medium settings, but on this mission I fail incredibly, each time. Anything I try with commanding alpha and beta wings fails as well, the AI just seems to refuse to do anything here. Even when ordering alpha wing to guard the jumpgate, they stuck around at the Brakiri station, looping around Firehawks without many kills.

My best tactic so far has been flying a Badger and ordering my wings to swarm a single target to quickly kill them. I've given up making a bomber squad because they just don't hit their targets enough. After taking out the first Sunhawk, I clear the resident fighters after which I turn to destroy the beamweapons on every Sunhawk, saving the station this way. Generally it takes me 4 minutes to clear all the fighters, after which I send my wings to engage Crazy Wing. Getting rid of the beam turrets takes about a minute.

So five minutes in, I rush towards the Harvester which takes a while. The new Sunhawk already enters through the gate. I've found that using wings to attack is is pointless, so I have to race towards it while Crazy wing still hasn't been taken care off. In that time Crazy Wing usually shreds the Harvester or if I tackle Crazy Wing, the Sunhawk destroys the Harvestor. In 7-7.5 minutes the Harvestor ends up destroyed.

I've found that the only difference between Medium and Very Easy is that I can fire continuously and of course the AI. But time wise there's little difference because those annoying Firehawks are so durable.

Using my wing effectively is the hardest part of it, because the hostiles are so closely packed. So.. any tips on how to tackle this mission? I can't use my wing to deal with Crazy wing and I can't use them to disarm the Sunhawks in front of the station and I can't use them to deal with the Sunhawk coming from the jumpgate.

If I set them to protect the station, I still can't focus on the Sunhawks because I'll get attacked from behind by a Firehawk, dragging me right back in a dogfight.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:57:59 pm by Daeron »
Yarrrr! there be ony two ranks of leader amongst us pirates! Captain and if your really notorious then it’s Cap’n!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Have you tried ordering the AI to disarm and you do the same instead of destroy?  Those hawks can't do any damage if they don't have turrets.   :cool:

Offline Vidmaster

Yes, this one is probably the hardest mission of the campaign.  (there's an easier version but so far, it has never been tested and therefore not released.)
Don't bother with disabling the ships or trying to take out the reactor, these Firehawks have better amor than the Sunhawks in 2259. Ignore the Kadago, this one will be shredded quickly. Taking out a few turrets is also a good idea but don't concentrate only on those.  You need to strike a balance between turret disabling and fighter killing, best by ordering a good part of the AI to protect the Harvester.

EDIT: If still nothing helps, you could play tester. Just put this file into tbp/data/missions.  However I cannot stress not tested enough, I have no idea how this one behaves.

- removed attachment -
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:48:08 am by Vidmaster »

Offline Daeron

Thanks for the advice, both of you. Might give that tester a try but not til after I beat the mission.  ;7
Yarrrr! there be ony two ranks of leader amongst us pirates! Captain and if your really notorious then it’s Cap’n!

Offline Vidmaster

In case you still fail, forget about the new mission and redownload the newest version of FortuneHunters.
In case you made it, redownload anyway. I finally fixed the pesky SpecialHit bug in both 2259 M4 and 2260 M8 !!!

Offline Daeron

Got it on the first try with the advice given, thanks :) Will redownload the whole bunch and see how that plays.

Offline Vidmaster

better  :)

Offline Demitri

Thought it would be better to post this here rather than in a new thread. Just want it put on record that FH2260 is by far the hardest damn campaign i've ever played! Dont think i have ever had to replay so many missions before in my life. But it is a great feeling when finally completing said missions.

Loved 2260 and eagerly anticipating 2261. Keep up the excellent work.
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

In FH 59 on the mission where you must follow and destroy the transports 5 of 6 at least, and then run away avoiding a cruiser that warps in trought the portal, no matter what i do i CANNOT win it, i get succefull debriefing, on any difficulty even if i kill the 6 transports and somehow run away, i have not modified anything, help!!

<< btw i think you should add some alternate endings or something for some missions, on the mission where you warp in a huge battle between narn and centauri to help the narn, i handled to disable and destroy every cruiser :D (took long tho.... disabling each cruiser then started killing em slowly and painfully >_>)

and and sorry for annoying or taking your time i sound a bit imperative or arrogant sometimes when using forums =_= i like have been lurking on this one for 2 years? and when i post something my poor english always screws everything up...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:25:51 pm by assasing321 »

Offline Vidmaster

I check this when I am home :blah:

Confirmed and fixed.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:25:34 pm by Vidmaster »