Author Topic: Vid's campaigns are too difficult? - advice here!  (Read 47958 times)

Offline Alberio

Re: Vid's campaigns are to difficult? - advice here!
hmm, i know its been a while sinse anyones posted here but i have a relelvent question. im currently playing FH2260 and having an issue with the mission where you get to fly those minbari ships and are attacking the shadow base. i get through most of the mission easy but right near the end when im suposed to protect the shuttles i always fail. thay always die. i set the 2 wings to protect them and go hunting myself when the fighters come in. i just cant seem to win, and thats odd for me as i havnt had to many issues i couldnt figure out on my own, even with your stuff. usualy a few tries and i can figure stuff out. any suggestions?

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
well, I am afraid not. Sending one wing each is a good tactic and then start hunting those fighters yourself.
If you watch the initial attacks at the start of the mission, you see where the fighters are launched. Stay close to that area in the beginning to take out one of the wings, then hunt the other.
Also, I recommend diverting some power to the engines to be able to move quicker and don't forget that you can fly through the outpost's middle.

During this sequence some luck is always involved.  You don't have to stay close to the shuttles since if two or more fighters start to engage a shuttle, you can usually kiss it goodbye anyway. Therefore, actively hunt them.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Alberio

i already hunt so thats not the issue, guess ill just have to get closer to the launch point then. thx for the info, good luck on FF2261

Offline Vidmaster

if you still can't get past it, just send me an email and I mail you a fix.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline mxlm

Just started FH2259; is there a trick to the mission in which you need to destroy a Centauri convoy?
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Vidmaster

No super special trick, just tactics.

For example, this mission is much easier if you master the art of diverting energy between your systems or even when flying a Fury, activating Glide Mode and afterburning.
Also, you could ignore the first two freighters and go directly for those close to the station, ordering your wingmen to disable those two. This is however a more dangerous way to go, since you will have to face the Centauri fighters alone then. Venom 1s for the fighters, Venom 2s for the engines.

Last but not least, one freighter can dock and the mission is still successful.

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
Just started FH2259; is there a trick to the mission in which you need to destroy a Centauri convoy?

Okay I will tell you my tactic put all power to the engine and order your wingmen to protect you and aim for the furthest transport. When you see a hostile wave coming at you wait for them to get near you (but maintain maximum speed) then quickly turn 60 degrees make sure that they waste all of their missiles on your wingmen, after that make your way to the furthest cargo and run and bank like hell - you will be able to disable all of the 6 transports.

Don't trust your wingmen don't let them disable those cargoes they suk just do it yourselves.

Finally when you make your way back apply the same tactic (wait for the enemy to get near and turn 60° make sure that they encounter your wingmen instead of you)

Hope this helps.
TBP's apprentice FREDDER.

Campaign in development:
Guardian of Light (Demo state)(Download DEMO here)
The First Invasion - Part 1 (Planning Concept)

Single Mission :
Human-Narn First Contact (Download here)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
You think it's hard now you should have seen it in the testing phase.  It was impossible on insane even when I made myself invulnerable.  Transports were a bit faster so you had even less time to disable.  Think this was one of the few missions I actually complained about the difficulty on.  So consider yourself lucky you didn't play it then. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline mxlm

The transports aren't the problem, although on my second attempt I only disabled the sixth transport when it was inside the hangar bay. My problem is not dying. Wingmen are nice and all, but they don't redirect power to the engines. So when I'm running to the gate I'm about 1k ahead of my wingmen who are about 800k ahead of the sentris...and then new sentris show up ahead and killzor me. Is there a finite amount of sentris from either the station or cruiser, and if so just how finite is it?
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Don't engage just evade the last waves.  That is the easiest part. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline mxlm

So it turns out that if you initially merely disable the transport closest to the gate and then destroy it on your way out, you'll be something like 3.5k away from the gate when the Vorchan jumps in. Which means it won't launch fighters before you escape. Yay me.

ETA: Okay, so, any advice for the mission in 2260 wherein you're expected to save general Hague's shapely ass?

Oh, and since I'm here, feedback on that mission as well: it's evocative of Starlancer, in that a five minute wait between pressing 'replay' and actually getting into the action again becomes extremely frustrating extremely quickly. In mission cutscenes: not a fan.

A general error (I only noticed it in 2260, not 2259, but it's occurred multiple times. In the anti-MS DOS mission, I think, as well as the Hague mission I'm asking about): it's "cease fire," not "seize fire".
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:05:32 am by mxlm »

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website

ETA: Okay, so, any advice for the mission in 2260 wherein you're expected to save general Hague's shapely ass?

Pure luck. Sometimes the ship will be able to jump out with little help of you, sometimes even if you try your best you fail.
Try to figure out which turret was doing lot of damage to Hague and take them out in the next "replay" round.

TBP's apprentice FREDDER.

Campaign in development:
Guardian of Light (Demo state)(Download DEMO here)
The First Invasion - Part 1 (Planning Concept)

Single Mission :
Human-Narn First Contact (Download here)

Offline mxlm

Y'know, that actually makes sense. The first playthrough two of the three ships jumped without a hitch and the last one was *this* close to making it. Second playthrough Alexandria was disabled very quickly; you lose, try again. Anyway, thanks.

ETA: Okay, the mission where a Brakiri resupply op goes horribly, horribly awry. What exactly am I supposed to be doing? The beam turret takes out my carrier, but the beam turret also seems to be completely immune to my weaponry. Actually, the whole ship seems immune to my weaponry.

Feedback: Once again, making the player wait five minutes each time they replay the mission is unhappy making. Though I should be clear that I'm very much enjoying your work, that stuff aside.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:10:20 am by mxlm »

Offline Nissan

ETA: Okay, the mission where a Brakiri resupply op goes horribly, horribly awry. What exactly am I supposed to be doing? The beam turret takes out my carrier, but the beam turret also seems to be completely immune to my weaponry. Actually, the whole ship seems immune to my weaponry.

Yeah, there's really nothing you can do. When your wingmen panic and scream to jump out... do it.

It's not much of a mission in terms of gameplay, but it's pretty important for moving the story along. And the next mission is fun enough to make up for the long wait in this one.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:43:14 pm by Nissan »
"Uh, yeah, I mean it's tough to say, woulda-coulda-shoulda, ifs and buts like candy and nuts, you know, you never know.  This, that, and the other thing.  Who knows?  You know, there are a lot of what-ifs.  You know, my whole life is a lot of what-ifs."
- San Antonio Spurs F Matt Bonner

Offline Vidmaster

these are the cinematic missions, like the Hyperspace Mission in 2259. No battles or complex objectives, they are in there for the plot and the impact.

SADDLY there is a bug in the currently released version during that Brakiri mission. The Shadow ship is supposed to kill the Harvester (and then you afterwards) if you don't jump out quickly enough, problem is it's never correctly triggered.
One of the many problems that have been fixed for the soon to be released Hunters Trilogy.

The EA civil war mission has been modified too. Pretty much every mission has  :)

Keep in mind, I am just one person and I have tried to create something that has a insane level of quality :ick:

Offline mxlm

Ooooh, I'm supposed to hit alt-j when the wingman starts screeching about getting the hell out? Okay, got it.

Keep in mind, I am just one person and I have tried to create something that has a insane level of quality

Hence my 'I should point out that I'm enjoying the hell out of it' bit. Don't want to seem like there's no respect for the effort and, hell, nevermind the effort, the final product.

Offline Vidmaster

still didn't get past the Shadow Brakiri mission?

All you need to do is get close to the Harvester.

Offline mxlm

Yeah, thanks. I figured that out when I actually took the time to read the wingmen messages instead of freaking out and shooting everything I could see.

ETA: Okay, destroying the base while piloting a Nial. If I fail that mission five times do I get to skip it? Because at the moment it looks like that's the only way I'll be advancing past that mission.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 09:06:14 am by mxlm »

Offline Vidmaster

Yeah, as always.

Hm. Maybe I should test this mission again. I always found it was way too easy...          ...did I **** up something there recently?  :confused:

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Wonder if he has an old version where the Harvester shoots up the Minbari cap.  If not then it's a pretty easy mission at least until the final part.  All you have to do is shoot straight and 30+ kills is not hard at all.