Author Topic: Earth Brakiri War feedback  (Read 33372 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Earth Brakiri War feedback
I remember liking this one a lot. However, the no waypoints on ships issue brings up a point that I remember from way back when... I was doing well on the first mission, but both of my capitol ships died because they rammed into each other!

I know from working with Stellar Assault that it is possible to edit the path information in the POF files so as to reduce ships' tendancies to crash into one another. Is further developing the POF data for the eventual release of TBP DVD 2.0 a consideration which might help this campaign?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I know from working with Stellar Assault that it is possible to edit the path information in the POF files so as to reduce ships' tendancies to crash into one another.

it

what

no

unless someone on SAFSO is like a crazy genius

I think you may be thinking of small ship attacks on capship subsystems.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Well, paths do help a little if you increase the length of all the paths on the systems. It decreases the likelyhood of collision a fair amount, but it will still happen. Just not as much.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, paths do help a little if you increase the length of all the paths on the systems. It decreases the likelyhood of collision a fair amount, but it will still happen. Just not as much.

For...capships attacking each other? I don't think they have the AI to even perform subsystem attacks at the ship level.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter

For...capships attacking each other? I don't think they have the AI to even perform subsystem attacks at the ship level.

No, but the paths do act like a boundry for where the ships can fly around. Like a personal space bubble of sorts.

That or my observations are just a result of SAFSO's really funny ships and not the case everywhere else.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
The only true way around the issue is scripted battles using waypoint paths for all capships instead of attack orders. 

As for the model paths (even though they have nothing to do with any of this) any that are missing are being added as I find them. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

The only true way around the issue is scripted battles using waypoint paths for all capships instead of attack orders. 

I don't know much about the capital ship AI but isn't it possible to give orders to only attack specific captial ships? Maybe by placing them accordingly collisions could be avoided.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No. You can give said attack orders but their maneuvers will cause collisions. Capship AI sucks.

The Battle for Altair definitely needs to be rebalanced for Zathras. I was playing EBW at medium difficulty and although very challenging for medium it was alright. Then I got to the Battle for Altair. I was like "Holy crap!" so I cranked it down to very easy and I was still getting my ass handed to me. At first I thought it was because I was using the Zathras 2.1 development version but after switching down to Zathras 2.0 I got the same results. Those frigates are complete wiz bang super weapons with Zathras enabled. If I just zipped around dog fighting and engaging cruisers I could survive but the rest of my fleet and the poor souls of Altair Station would get wasted. Whenever I tried to debeak the frigates they would send forth a withering rain of pulse fire and I'd be dead in moments. I think at insane difficulty the game would just reach through the screen and punch me in the face.

Here's a couple of movies to illustrate. Both are set at very easy for consistency. I stopped the 3.6.9 movie after I destroy the first frigate, no need to watch the whole battle, you'll get the gist.

3.6.9 No Zathras

3.6.13 Zathras 2.1

All this doesn't change the fact that this is a top notch campaign and I'm enjoying it a great deal. Even if you rebalance the mission I'll probably keep a copy of this one just for the impossible frantic joy of it.

Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Actually, this is build into the campaign and independent from Zathras.
EBW is notorious, as most campaigns from that developer. Thank god that you didn't play the first version...  mission 1 was impossible.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline -Norbert-

Impossible to win yes, but due to the campaign structure you could still progress, even if you lost, though it was harder to get the alternate ending...
Spoiler:
were you attacked the Brakiri homeworld and were beaten back by the Shadows, before advancing to the "2nd battle of the line"

Offline wesp5

EBW is notorious, as most campaigns from that developer.

Maybe someone could go ahead and update this campaign to work better with Zathras while fixing obvious mission problems. When I did the same for MAGs Star Fury Mission pack he wrote: "It will be fine to update the star fury pilot mission pack and the earth brakiri war if you can spare the time." I already did the first, but somebody more prominent at editing should tackle the second. I think MAG would appreciate it...

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
MAG is very busy. On the other hand, just editing the campaign of sb else is not exactly polite.
I'd very angry if someone released a FortuneHunters - Fan Edition  ;)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That's pretty much what FSUP is doing.  :)
I think that compatiblity updates with new builds, Zatharas and so could be made if the original author isn't around to make them.
I'm not worried about FH though, because you don't seem like willing to quit FREDing anytime soon.

Offline wesp5

MAG is very busy. On the other hand, just editing the campaign of sb else is not exactly polite.

Therefore I asked MAG about it and as I posted, he was glad because he knows his campaigns have issues and he hasn't got the time to fix them. I'm a huge B5 fan and was clever enough to fix his single missions, but I don't like alternative timelines and I don't think I'm good enough with TBP to fix his huge Brakiri War campaign in a reasonable time...

I ran into something today. I had run the scenario "Exit", and had died in the firefight when the Brakiri showed up. So I reran it again. I had just cleared the minefield, and the destroyer warped in. When they said jump points were opening, I turned toward the jump gates, figuring I could get some opening shots in before the rest of the EA fleet engaged, but as the jump points and Brakiri ships came into view, I got an error message that said, "

Code: [Select]
Can't open model file <>
ntdll.dll! KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12r_INF.exe! <no symbol>
fs2_open_3_6_12r_INF.exe! <no symbol>
ntdll.dll! bsearch + 924 bytes

Then it CTD'd on me.

I'm going to run it again and see if it happens again.

EDIT: I ran the scenario again and it did not happen again.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:09:53 am by JonnyBGoode »

Offline Slasher

I've encountered this CTD before too in various missions, and I know from experience it's hard to repeat so I'm not sure what factors contribute to it.