Author Topic: RELEASE::: Drums Of War (Full Trilogy Release)  (Read 49221 times)

Re: RELEASE::: Drums Of War (Full Trilogy Release)
I just try to post here unless it seems dead. Great work orpheus i really like that not everything is about killing  and needs some intelligence to pass. Just one question. Did you remove the secret bonus in part one and two? Because in part one i got told that i completed bonus objectiv but there were no presents in the ship selection menu  :(
Oh and i´d loved to play more with Maximillian Locke... Really enjoyed the first part...
Thats it so far... Thanks a lot!!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I appear to be dead but that as always appears to be an exagguration of what is the chase...
I'm pretty busy in real life and right not in the best of shapes (vacation is coming up so I finally got the time and much needed rest)

Did you remove the secret bonus in part one and two? Because in part one i got told that i completed bonus objectiv but there were no presents in the ship selection menu  :(

They should still be there... but I can check it someday
- I will add it to my list

Oh and i´d loved to play more with Maximillian Locke... Really enjoyed the first part...

Someday perhaps... after Regiment and Osiris and tons of other stuff... perhaps...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
0rph3u5, I hate to complain especially as the content is mostly stuff you've contributed to the game but that sig is getting a little long. Can you trim it down a little? Having it horizontally rather than vertically would take up a lot less space.

You might want to make those campaign names into links to the campaign release threads while you're at it. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We should bring back sig scrollbars, if remotely possible.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually, after poking around in the new control panel it appears that I might be able to enforce a maximum sig length instead.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nehemiah

• I prefer exploding spaceships to blood and gore.
How do you beat the last mission of Drums of War 3?  The two Drakh cruisers blue beams slice trhough the Vol'Toth in about 30 seconds, and 52mm Narn Primaries are not powerful enough to kill beam subsystems fast enough.  And then there's also the problem of not being able to get close enough to the Drakh ships before the beams rip my fighter to shreds.  One Omega jumping in to help the POS Vol'Toth is not enough to win.
The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace.  It failed...

No no!  I love the mod!  That's just what Commander Ivanova says at the beginning of B5 season 3.

Offline wesp5

How do you beat the last mission of Drums of War 3?  The two Drakh cruisers blue beams slice trhough the Vol'Toth in about 30 seconds, and 52mm Narn Primaries are not powerful enough to kill beam subsystems fast enough.

The same thing happened to me. The mission is unbeatable without cheating, probably some new Zathras features messed it up. I think we discussed this elsewhere already...

Offline Nehemiah

What about Zathras would have made the mission impossible to beat?  Did the Zathras mod increase the damage of blue Drakh beam weapons or something?

No no!  I love the mod!  That's just what Commander Ivanova says at the beginning of B5 season 3.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Most likely it's not Zathras but increased limits in the FS2_Open engine that allow the weapons to actually fire instead of trying to, hitting the limit, and failing to do so. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Nehemiah

Most likely it's not Zathras but increased limits in the FS2_Open engine that allow the weapons to actually fire instead of trying to, hitting the limit, and failing to do so. 

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Offline CaptJosh

He's saying that since the engine has increased limits on things like beams on screen and such, ships are able to fire more often.

Thus, in order to fix missions that depended on this, the weapon tables need to be updated to change the firing cycle times, or the mission needs reFREDded so that beams fire only so often instead of beam free all being used.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Not really.  If it was just that ship in the game and nothing else then it would fire the same now as it did in 3.4b.  The problem was almost all of the TBP weapons used the $swarm option to fire in bursts.  There was a limit of 50 swarms at any one time for all ships in game.  So any weapon that was using $swarm would have the possibility of not firing if there were already 50 other swarms in flight.  This would log a warning to the log file in debug that you ran out of swarm slots and just not fire the weapon.

Now 2 things have happened.  First the $swarm weapon limit was at least doubled.   Second $burst fire was added.  This wasn't available when TBP was released but is designed to do exactly what the weapons needed so in Zathras most of the weapons now use $burst instead of $swarm.  This lets all ships fire as they were originally designed to (unless you have a BOE mission and still hit those limits but you should be testing in debug when you are making them and not release them if it's happening). 

So basically that ship is now firing as it was intended to and as it was originally tabled to.  It's just that prior to the latest Zathras the limits were being hit with the multiple ships trying to fire.  What weapons didn't fire was pure chance so the mission would have played differently every time. 

Long story short the ships and weapons are working just as designed but the mission wasn't working all along and the problems just not caught.  It will need some rebalancing.  This is all a result of TBP being released without fixing warning and errors. 

No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Nehemiah

Hmm, interesting.  I didn't know beam weapons counted as a swarm weapon.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Well the mission balance is very far off ... the reason is a bit of everything said here

If it were a simple operations I would have patched it by now ... but it is not - the current plan is to go over the missions and to make most balance ciritical weapons (such as capital ship main beams) into special entires into a .tbm...

problem is that's a lot of detail work ... and I don't think I will have the time to do it with the required care any time soon...

"Time is infinite ... you are finite ... Zathras is finite ... THIS is the wrong tool."
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:51:25 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."