Author Topic: c't Magazine wanted us!  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
c't Magazine wanted us!
Got the following message recently:

Dear Software Author,

As in previous years, in 2011 some issues of c't magazine include acovermount CD/DVD-ROM. The DVD-ROM that will come with c't 24/2011features a hand-selected collection of free- and shareware programsas well as fully registered versions. This compilation includes system utilities, games and programming software.

Digital buyers and subscribers, we will offer the DVD as an image file to download.Your software "The Babylon Project" has been pre-selected to be part of this collection. Each program on DVD will be described in detail in the magazine.

To put your software on the DVD we need your consent as soon as possible, since the deadline is imminent. It can easily be given on our Website at Heise.de where you will find a form for your data. In order to protect your informationwe generated the following authentification code for you:

--code removed--

To be able to include your software we need your consent until the 10/16/2011 at the latest.

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

In case you haven't heard about c't: with about 350.000 sold copies every fortnight we are among Europe's most successful computer magazines. If you have any further questions please contact  --email removed--

Regards,

Your c't magazine++

Saddly, it won't happen. I informed the magazine that TBP cannot be included on their DVD because of issues with the German law (the magazine is German). They not only state on their website when to warn them, I know what problems could arise as well, since I am German myself. The game has not been rated by our video game rating agency called USK and may therefore not be spreaded freely by published magazines.

I expressed my thanks nevertheless.

this is still a cool game  :yes:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Veers

Re: c't Magazine wanted us!
Regardless,

Your definately getting attention from some fairly large sources.

(And well... got my attention :D )
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Saddly, it won't happen. I informed the magazine that TBP cannot be included on their DVD because of issues with the German law (the magazine is German). They not only state on their website when to warn them, I know what problems could arise as well, since I am German myself. The game has not been rated by our video game rating agency called USK and may therefore not be spreaded freely by published magazines.

Not only that, but I think it would be a license infringement to distribute it as part of subscription deal.

Subscription = people pay for it;

FS2 Open code = can not be sold in any form legally;

Babylon 5 intellectual property = big big trouble if you start selling stuff based on it without proper licensing.

These reasons alone would have prevented legitimate distribution on a magazine DVD.

If they were to host the game on their servers, there would still probably be problems with Germany's specific copyright laws - I remember a WH40k fan film got axed because if Games Workshop allowed it to be shown, they would have lost all copyrights on Warhammer 40000, or something about as retarded as that. So,  Time Warner would likely have been opposed to the distribution of the game on a magazine DVD / subscription download, or face the risk of losing their Babylon 5 IP rights in Germany.

If all these copyright / intellectual property law issues had been solved, THEN the rating issues you mentioned would have became relevant.

Like you said, though, TBP is still a cool game.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Besides, while it's a nice game, I don't think TBP warrants such high-level attention in the state it's in now. It's simply outdated (and somewhat unpolished), and Zatharas is still in it's early stages.

Offline wesp5

Besides, while it's a nice game, I don't think TBP warrants such high-level attention in the state it's in now.

It's still the most complete and playable total conversion for Babylon 5, or possibly any SF franchise out there!

It's simply outdated (and somewhat unpolished), and Zatharas is still in it's early stages.

I agree with that. So when can a new Zathras version and maybe even a new DVD release be expected ;)?

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I'd wish we would have an answer for that...
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
First, despite not being able to disribute the work, I must offer my congratulations to you (and all of TBP) on accord of its still apparent merit and worth. :D

Next, I can't wait to delete TBP from my HD...

...Because I really want DVD v2.0 to fill the space that the old version occupies now.

:yes2: :D :yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Heh, I read CT magazine - Although the offer went amiss, its quite cool that they mentioned you, and they will probably include a link to you anyways.