Author Topic: Adding/creating backgrounds  (Read 1967 times)

Adding/creating backgrounds
Hi all,

Noob with a noobish question here. I was wondering if it is at all possible to add pictures to a background in game, say for instance an image i have of the horsehead nebula.... If it is possible could someone please teach me how to do it.

Many thanks.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Re: Adding/creating backgrounds
In order to do that, you have to make what's called a "Skybox", a six sided box which is created around the space the player flys around in. Each of the 6 faces is a separate texture which will consist of some cut up version of that eagle nebula picture. It takes a fair bit of work for someone new to make a skybox from scratch, but if you're motivated you can do it.

Lucky for you, someone already made an eagle neubla skybox:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67899.msg1557543#msg1557543

If you open the file and open the folder that reads 'data' you will see 4 folders: cache, maps, missions and models. Go into your freespace2 root directory and place the maps folder in freespace2/data/maps Place the mission file in freespace2/data/missions and Place the .pof file in freespace2/data/models. You have 2 options here.

Option1(may not work with the TBP mod):
Start the game and open the mission titled "Eagle Nebula Skybox Text" and fly around in there. You should see the skybox in the mission.

Option2:
Open the mission editing program titled fred2 and select a mission. Open an existing mission or create a new mission. Open the editors tab and select background. You should see a text field in the bottom right where you can type the name of a skybox model. Type: eaglenebula.pof    Then save the mission.

Once you have done that, open the mission you created or modified and you should see the eagle nebula skybox.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Thanks bigchunk1,

I've downloaded it and will try it when i get home from work. once i'm satisfied with my fredding abilities skybox creation is something i'd like to try to get into as beautiful background scenery really brings a mission to life!

Once again many thanks.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Welcome to HLP, and if you have more questions just ask.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

I tried the Eagle neb background and its great!!, i found option 2 worked fine for me. Think i'll look around for more of these type of backgrounds to enhance my missions. Recently found the HLP!, what a great resource glad i joined :)