Author Topic: Legality in terms of the name  (Read 2992 times)

Offline xman15

Legality in terms of the name
Hi!

I had one REALLY big question about this project: Is it legal from a name standpoint?

I mean it's because you guys are basing this off a copyrighted TV show - does the disclaimer that you guys have on your webpage basically allow you to do this as per that whole thing with since you're not charging for this, you're allowed to do it?

Sorry - I'm just really cautious about legal affairs - I'm just a paranoiac when it comes to these things. XD

Thanks!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Legality in terms of the name
It is allowed under the fair use and fan art terms in the US.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline xman15

Okay so tell me more about this - so you guys don't use a majority of copyrighted stuff - aka you aren't making a derivative work right? I'm just a little cautious 'cos fair use is really nonspecific. But then again, you guys made your own models, and all - the only thing is that it's set in the universe of Babylon 5, right? I'm just trying to understand the specifics of this.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 11:02:51 am by xman15 »

Offline -Norbert-

One very big help is, that it's strictly non-profit. So even if it would technically go against copyright issues, most of the time the big companies don't mind, because it doesn't hurt them (it could even be considered free advertisement), while sueing might cost them customers.... erm... I mean fans.
Of course there are dickheaded exceptions, like the idiot who made sure the Nexus BSG mod got pulled from ModDB (and the resulting panic reaction by them), or Games Workshop shutting down Damnatus.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
soundtrack and sound effects are obviously owned by somebody, like Warner in case of the B5 effects
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Second question, on topic with legality, that I was wondering about with these 'foreign universe' mods for SCP:

What about the models ported into the FS SCP engine- could they be used, could they be reskinned/edited?
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.