Author Topic: Jump in/out speed  (Read 3611 times)

Is it possible to edit the warp in warp out speed via table editing?, only the speed ships jump in and out seems too slow compaired to what you see in the show.

Many thanks.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Doing the sudden speed change should be possible either by table or code changes. The problem is that you would most likely break quite a few missions doing it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Thanks for that Kara, bit of a bugger that it would break missions though lol. Could it be altered in say a patch??

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Thanks for that Kara, bit of a bugger that it would break missions though lol. Could it be altered in say a patch??
Why? It's easy as hell and it's unlikely that the warpin speed of a ship breaks a mission.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
unlikely that the warpin speed of a ship breaks a mission.
I don't think you realize how it affects missions. Warp speed is one of the few factors that contribute into how long a distance a ship travels during jump in and jump out. If ships end too close or too far from where they were intended, it will break a mission.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Maybe tweak initial speed, but make sure it decelerates faster. Of course, this might not be possible to do without breaking the mission by changing "main" deceleration time.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I was looking into this sometime back, but I wanted a way to have all ship accel and decel at the same rate, fighters through supercaps.  Unfortunately, if fighters and destroyers jump in or out as a group, it would cause each fighter to generate their own vortex, which is definitely NOT correct for B5.  You can disable the warp rendering, but it automatically eliminates the associated accel and decel associated with warping.  Over the years, I have asked the SCP guys for ways of simply disabling the vortex without losing the accel/decel, but I was turned down each time... though I don't see what kind of relative coding difficulty that would be associated with it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Remind me after Diaspora is out. I've always wanted to make B5 hyperspace work correctly.

Offline wesp5

Remind me after Diaspora is out. I've always wanted to make B5 hyperspace work correctly.

In that case I want to again point out the wrong vortex form and flash position. Right now we can choose between a very flat 2D form or a very long 3D form. It seems to be something more inbetween in the show. Also there the ships enter with a bright flash that is at the end of the vortex. Using the current 3D form the light is in the middle of the long vortex and ships appear out of nothing there which looks strange. Combined with the warp in speed, the ships should appear in a flash at the end of the vortex and move very fast to the front, from which they move out at normal speed.

Yes exactly wesp that's the point i was trying to get across only you put it better than me lol. I had never really given much thought to it until the other evening when making a cutscene for my "messages from Earth" mission, when the whitestar jumps in it just looks odd and very slow, as you say the ship needs to emerge at the back of the vortex and rapidly decelerate at the exit point of the vortex, as such i have decided to redo the scene so you can only see the jump vortex and not the ship because this problem is bugging me lol.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:14:49 am by Sheridan_37 »

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)

will do
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Both times that my suggestion was shot down, the rationale was that it would be better to replace it with a system whereby a jump point is flagged as a departure location for ships.  Since nothing in that manner has been created, I suspect that there is no plans to pursue it.  It also seems to me like it would be a lot more work to create such an elaborate departure system, than to make a small optional change to the existing one, in the form of the afore-explained disable-warp-rendering-but-retain-decel-and-accel-for-arrivals-and-departures adjustment.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Asprin, I believe thats his name, coded a OSE version of fs2open.

I believe it also needed a change in the ship table ( for entry and departure) to activate it.
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I still have that entire codebase somewhere. So if he did indeed do it then the code is already mostly written.