Author Topic: "Flying through clouds" sim?  (Read 8114 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
"Flying through clouds" sim?
Hey all,

I'm looking for a simulator that lets me fly through / around / over clouds. Preferably with controllable weather conditions but that's not essential.

No doubt a variety of flight sims cater to this. I'm not looking for a particularly "simulator" feel - arcade style would do just fine. Any suggestions?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: "Flying through clouds" sim?
Free: YS Flight Sim

http://www.ysflight.com/

...This is moddable - if you need help, I'll do as much as I can.

Not Free (but damn worth it): X-Plane

http://www.x-plane.com/

...Heck, if you've got an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can get a version of X-Plane for that, too!

Cheaper and GOGable: Il-2

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/il_2_sturmovik_1946

...Well, all of these are moddable, but X-Plane is by far the easiest for that. Hope this helps.  ;)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Did any of these suggestions help, Kal?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Lock On: Modern Air Combat?

Or Tom Clancy's HAWX, if you don't mind the no-mission-editor/lack-of-good-plot for good graphics/scenery/planes.

Though neither of these two are free.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
HAWX

:ick:

That's not a flight sim - that's a joke. Go for Lock-On or something else of good quality. Ace Combat and the like are not what you want when you're looking for a simulator.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Battlestations Pacific has some nice cloud effects inflight. You can fly around or through them
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
HAWX

That's not a flight sim - that's a joke. Go for Lock-On or something else of good quality. Ace Combat and the like are not what you want when you're looking for a simulator.

I forgot to mention that it's an arcadey game :p

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Or there's always MS Flight Simulator.  Mabey get an old version off amazon or something if you want it cheap.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
What, pray tell, brought this on? I'm curious.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
What, pray tell, brought this on? I'm curious.

It is a very "specific" request.  :p
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I love flying through the storm clouds or sometimes just the puffy light clouds... usually in a jet fighter in IL-2 1946.  The YP-80 is my favourite for sight seeing around some of the newer maps. The weather modeling isn't perfect but the sensation of flight is incredible!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
HAWX

I forgot to mention that it's an arcadey game :p
You forgot to mention that it sucks. Much better going with Ace Combat.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

You didn't just say Ace Combat is a flight sim. I know you didn't.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I didn't forgot to mention that. Besides, it works on PC, unlike Ace Combat.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I guess that's one thing going for HAWX.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I love flying through the storm clouds or sometimes just the puffy light clouds... usually in a jet fighter in IL-2 1946.  The YP-80 is my favourite for sight seeing around some of the newer maps. The weather modeling isn't perfect but the sensation of flight is incredible!

The F-86 is quite nice for that as well. The late versions can do supercruise!  ;7

Or the Sea Fury, Spitfire Mk.XIV, late FW-190 Doras and Ta-152's, or MiG-15. They're nice fast planes too.

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

You didn't just say Ace Combat is a flight sim. I know you didn't.
Pred should be shot.

MS Flight Simulator, all, the ****ing, way.  :D

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

The F-86 is quite nice for that as well. The late versions can do supercruise!  ;7

Wut.

If you choose MS Flight Simulator X, you might be interested in the Active Sky weather add-on (see link below). There might be other similar such add-ons available too.

http://www2.hifisim.com/node/4

@Herra: Where may I ask did you get the Sabre from for Il-2? I used to really like a sim called MiG Alley by Rowan Software, but unfortunately I fear that I might have lost the CD.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The F-86 is quite nice for that as well. The late versions can do supercruise!  ;7

Wut.

Yes, that's what I thought.

In my experiment, I tried to keep it straight and level at 23000-24000 ft (isn't that easy to maintain zero vertical speed at those speeds without autopilot...) at full sustained power without engine overheat, which is about 95% power setting. It started shaking like mad past 450 or so MPH indicated air speed, and eventually accelerated up to about 560 MPH IAS. But it holds together and you don't start losing parts, just don't turn too fast or you'll lose a wing very fast. Ground speed at that point was above 1300 km/h, which to that altitude assuming normal tropospheric temperature translates to Mach 1.1564, so I would say it can supercruise.

Mind you the original F-86 was a transonic fighter, and while I think it could breach the sound barrier in a dive it couldn't reach it in straight and level flight in reality. On the other hand, in a ten-degree nose-down power dive from the apparent service ceiling of around 13000 metres this thing can reach true air speed of up to 1600 km/h without breaking apart.

Didn't really bother measuring sustained maximum speed at sea level.

My guess is that the flight model has a little lapsus in the maximum speed, possibly caused by someone read the TAS MPH from performance statistics and applied them as IAS, or something, but it's insanely fast nevertheless. :p

Also, the Sabre (among other goodies) comes with Ultrapack mod.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.